• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Smokes When Reversing And Accelerating

NRX

Hi, This particular car is a 1.6 Ford laser 1998 Petrol Brand new with 180K on the clock , a daily runner, it smokes a bit dark when accelerating and reversing, not when idling though.

I'm pretty much bought on this car as I was very satisfied with the looks and the condition, the big question is could this lead to a near future engine overhaul , or rings replacement, the owner says he changes oil after every 4000Km and the oil level is somewhat lower that it was 4000Km before, could this really be a big engine issue or a minor glitch that can be fixed with a mere tuneup ?

P.S : He hasn't tuned the engine for the past 1.5 years. He acknoledges that engine burns a little oil, but no oil on spark plugs...

Thanks in advance guys, I'm in a big dilemma, Please help me out :)

Hi, This particular car is a 1.6 Ford laser 1998 Petrol Brand new with 180K on the clock , a daily runner, it smokes a bit dark when accelerating and reversing, not when idling though.

I'm pretty much bought on this car as I was very satisfied with the looks and the condition, the big question is could this lead to a near future engine overhaul , or rings replacement, the owner says he changes oil after every 4000Km and the oil level is somewhat lower that it was 4000Km before, could this really be a big engine issue or a minor glitch that can be fixed with a mere tuneup ?

P.S : He hasn't tuned the engine for the past 1.5 years. He acknoledges that engine burns a little oil, but no oil on spark plugs...

Thanks in advance guys, I'm in a big dilemma, Please help me out :)

Well from what i can understand this isnt an issue related to worn out piston rings and oil leaking into the engine compartment, cause if that's the case the smoke would be white or greyish instead of black.

The smoke and the decline in oil level could be two different problems.

The smoke most probably is due to an untuned engine, start the car and touch the barrel of the silencer and see if you can feel water droplets forming at the end, if not its not in good tune. Im not entirely sure on this as i don't know the exact color, it would be easier for us if you could post a pic of the smoke :)

As for the change in oil level it could be a little oil leak from the oil seals, BTW look closely at the place where this car is parked and if you notice some droplets of oil on the ground its probably a minor flaw but if you don't see any clear sign of leakage it might not be good news for you.

Just to clarify is this a car you re planing to buy ?

Black smoke = bad tune/fuel issue 'cos it's running rich (too much fuel). If it's excessive, you'll probably end up washing your piston rings out thereby requiring a rebuild. Washing out means tat there's so much unburned fuel in the chamber that it washes off the oil lubricating the cylinder walls, thereby causing the rings to wear out prematurely. Can you smell gasoline in the oil when you change your oil or do you have trouble starting the car on a cold morning? That's a good sign you have bad rings.

White smoke = head gasket. Coolant seeping through into the combustion chamber and the white you see is water vapor. You'd probably also see that your oil has a milky color to it (water mixed in oil) if it's leaking into the engine too; not always though). One of the dangers of head gasket is that if it's leaking into the cylinder, you could have a time when it seeps in over night and the next time you start it up, BOOM! 'cos there could be too much water in the cylinder and since water is incompressible and then add to that a rapidly moving piston trying to compress it and your weakest link is going to fail (read, explode/disintegrate); usually the rod or the piston.

Blue/blue'ish smoke = Burning oil. Your piston rings are shot from a lack of lubrication! rebuild time! You'd probably also smell gasoline in the oil.

Edited by MeanGreenZ28
  • Like 1

Yeah machan, I'm planning to buy. it was grayish white when reversing a steep hill, and was gray + black when was speeding around 70Kmph. No water droplets from exhaust machan, when I put my hand near the exhaust (engine idle)the smoke wasn't visible and didn't buildup any carbon on my hand

Sigh! another problem now, dad's mechanic says " Ford ?? :o don't buy that shit, no spares and all, stay away from it" and now dad is reluctant to let me buy it, aiyoooo :( :(

Black smoke = bad tune/fuel issue 'cos it's running rich (too much fuel). If it's excessive, you'll probably end up washing your piston rings out thereby requiring a rebuild. Washing out means tat there's so much unburned fuel in the chamber that it washes off the oil lubricating the cylinder walls, thereby causing the rings to wear out prematurely. Can you smell gasoline in the oil when you change your oil or do you have trouble starting the car on a cold morning? That's a good sign you have bad rings.

White smoke = head gasket. Coolant seeping through into the combustion chamber and the white you see is water vapor. You'd probably also see that your oil has a milky color to it (water mixed in oil) if it's leaking into the engine too; not always though). One of the dangers of head gasket is that if it's leaking into the cylinder, you could have a time when it seeps in over night and the next time you start it up, BOOM! 'cos there could be too much water in the cylinder and since water is incompressible and then add to that a rapidly moving piston trying to compress it and your weakest link is going to fail (read, explode/disintegrate); usually the rod or the piston.

Blue/blue'ish smoke = Burning oil. Your piston rings are shot from a lack of lubrication! rebuild time! You'd probably also smell gasoline in the oil.

Ditto! I had somewhat of a similar issue.

Engine use to smoke a bit after sitting in for a while only to disappear later. But it was blue/white smoke so it was basically oil seeping past the valve guides.

After sorting that out...I got another problem/ Poor performance, check engine light and black smoke and lots of it. Fuel smell at the exhaust and poor fuel economy

Finally traced the check engine error to a knock sensor error code.

When the mechanics were sorting the valve guide seals, they have diconnected the knock sensor and failed to connect it back.

I reconnected it and voila...no more check engine light, no more black more and economy and engine performance was back to base :)

So the ford OP is talking about can be having minor issue like that.

Black smoke on a petrol motor always means it's running rich....

Check everything to do with the EFI system and you'd bund find out the cause.

I really don't think it's a super expensive fault to fix.

Sigh! another problem now, dad's mechanic says " Ford ?? :o don't buy that shit, no spares and all, stay away from it" and now dad is reluctant to let me buy it, aiyoooo :( :(

I moved to a ford from a corolla :)

admittedly parts are somewhat difficult to find compared to a toyota or a nissan. But so far i've found most of things without too much of a hassle.

And mind you i drive a ford double cab. Quite rare compared to a familia. I really don't think there would be major issues for you.

If you ask your dad's mechanic about Mazda's, i bet he'd give the same advice :) Some of the old school crowd will only stick with toyotas and nissans. Anything else is a risk in their view which i think is outdated thinking.

• Like 1

I think ford lazer is built on the same platform as Mazda Familia. Not an expert on the area but I think most of the parts will be same as the mazda which is kinda easy to find.

I moved to a ford from a corolla :)

admittedly parts are somewhat difficult to find compared to a toyota or a nissan. But so far i've found most of things without too much of a hassle.

And mind you i drive a ford double cab. Quite rare compared to a familia. I really don't think there would be major issues for you.

If you ask your dad's mechanic about Mazda's, i bet he'd give the same advice :) Some of the old school crowd will only stick with toyotas and nissans. Anything else is a risk in their view which i think is outdated thinking.

Yeah, I told him the Laser is more or less a Familia but he was like " we will look for another car". The only thing I think at the moment is the smoke issue and I know the parts are available, but if by any chance the vehicle turn out to be a lemon after buying I won't be able live peacefully with him, I don't want to mess things with him as he is my father-in-law :grinning-smiley-043:

HELP____ S_O_S ::::: WE HAVE A FATHER IN LAW ISSUE HERE....

Bro, I know exactly how dat feels... (FIL Victim / 22 months and counting)

But you know, just dont give up da fight... I always go the extra mile (in certain occations) to prove him worng whenever i get the chance... hihi...

Ok, where the hell are the smileys... (new AL is driving me CRAAAAAZZZZZZZZZYYYYY)

ha ha ha...then you'd better get what he wants :)

HELP____ S_O_S ::::: WE HAVE A FATHER IN LAW ISSUE HERE....

Bro, I know exactly how dat feels... (FIL Victim / 22 months and counting)

But you know, just dont give up da fight... I always go the extra mile (in certain occations) to prove him worng whenever i get the chance... hihi...

Ok, where the hell are the smileys... (new AL is driving me CRAAAAAZZZZZZZZZYYYYY)

a fresh FIL victim here, just 2 months :alc:

a fresh FIL victim here, just 2 months :alc:

if he is paying for it...you'd have to open wide and take it :D

if not...i would do what i want! compromising is, at times taken as a weakness :) 5years and counting and i've never budged an inch :D

• Like 1

if he is paying for it...you'd have to open wide and take it :D if not...i would do what i want! compromising is, at times taken as a weakness :) 5years and counting and i've never budged an inch :D

:D I'm living with their family, so not much of a good move xD