• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Head Light - High Beam Issue

abiman

Hello,

I have Issue with headlight high beam of my car. (Toyota Sprinter CE110 1997 Crystal light /Auto)

It operates in following way,

1. Low beam works always. No issue.

2. High beam works fine when I pull the head light leaver with low beam switch is OFF and meter panel high beam indicator works fine too. (pass light works fine)

3. When headlight switch is in low beam ON position and operate high beam by pulling leaver, both high beam and indicator light on meter panel works fine.

4. However when I put leaver to high beam on position (pushed down with headlight switch on) meter panel indicator works fine, low beam turn off and High beam will not operate. However some times it works fine.

I found one relay named headlight under the hood which turns off headlights (both high and low beams) when relay pulled off and relay operates fine and contacts are good.

so my question is,

where do you think issue is?

does this car has some other fuses/relays separately for high and low beams? where?

thanks in advance.

most probably a relay issue. if i'm not wrong, the headlight relay sits in the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment. you should be able to get a diagram off the web for your car that shows the exact relay to check. Something just a quick cleanup of the internal contact points sorts the issue out.

most probably a relay issue. if i'm not wrong, the headlight relay sits in the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment. you should be able to get a diagram off the web for your car that shows the exact relay to check. Something just a quick cleanup of the internal contact points sorts the issue out.

it could very well be the switch too right?

I too tend to leave the relay away as pass light works fine and it uses the same relay for high beam function and pass light function.

It could be either the switch or switch connectors to the main wire loom which can be found under the steering column.

Hi,

Can you please explain, because head light high beam indicator bulb on meter panel works fine with switch. Only head light high beam has issue.

if switch has issue then high beam indicator and high beam should behave in same way right?

So can it be switch issue?

thanks for help.

Hi,

Can you please explain, because head light high beam indicator bulb on meter panel works fine with switch. Only head light high beam has issue.

if switch has issue then high beam indicator and high beam should behave in same way right?

So can it be switch issue?

thanks for help.

i was suspecting either the switch or connection point of the switch to the wire loom.

reason is, the relay functioning for flashing and high beam functions is the same. So if it's the relay, then flashing too won't work.

Further, the switch has two seperate circuits (contact points and seperate wires) for flashing function and high beam function as two should work in isolation, as in headlights when both parking and low beam is on and flashing in all times.

the wires running to the meter board are different from the wires running to the relays. So best is to

1. Double check the contact points of the connector of the light switch

2. Check the wiring from the contact point/switch to the relay board

3. Get hold of another test switch and see whether issue gets sorted out.

Edited by harshansenadhir