• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

[Newbie Advice] Buying A Used Motorcycle

Watchman

Question

I guess we've discussed a lot relating to things to look out for when buying a car, but I dont recall reading much on motorcylce buying advice. So I thought a new thread could be useful. In this case; for me.

I'm planning on buying a scrambler (200cc or less for now cos that's what the s'pore law says). Being a complete newbie to bikes I've joined a local forum to see what's happening in the local scene. But when it comes to mechanical advice I prefer asking a forum that I trust more cos we all know all forum's have their share of dumb-asses no matter when they joined or how many posts they have.

The local forum has a buying guide, which seems quite comprehensive but still better safe than sorry i guess. So Any general advice you guys have is most welcome. I guess I (and anyone else) can post more specific questions as we go on.

Thanks guys!

How much would a decent (reliable) XR250 cost? I'm not too picky about cosmetics, but more the mechanical components. Are they available in the market or do you really have to go hunting for them?

i would guess the prices start from 150 and up...the lower end would obviously be the older models and the newer ones go upto around 650.

but for about 200 - 250 you should be able to get a decent used bike. not really a new model one but with xr's, as long as they've not been abused...age doesn't really matter that much :)

Yes mate, hard to get a perfect one, but can get a one in running condition. I saw one good looking bike on another auto sale site. PMed you dingy. Its modified a bit. still looks good and its a XL250R. what a bike XL250Rs are !

the problem is..simply due to the age of these bikes...the engine would've been rebuilt, shock refilled and what not... Not everybody use quality parts in rebuilds.

I remember when i rebuil my mtx200r, one brand of piston could be bought for less than 2000 bucks while the geuine honda one was 8k :)

A good XL 250, miantained well wont come cheap

guys i am looking for a trailer bike between 60 and 80 for my bro if u gys hv ny leads on this plz let me knw thnx

Guys i am looking for a trailer bike for my bro my budget is between 60 and 70 if u guys find anything plz let me knw thnx

What did you bust Rs.10,000 on in the last 2 days?

Guys i am looking for a trailer bike for my bro my budget is between 60 and 70 if u guys find anything plz let me knw thnx

WTF! another retarded troll !

Edited by Cyclist

Hey members by the way what do you think about honda hornet 250 and xr 250 when it comes to traveling long distance? I don't use bikes daily but I really like riding long distance. I'm tall ( 6ft 4inches tall) I have not ridden a hornet but I have ridden my friends xr250. I found xr 250 comfy in my 60km ride to gampaha from my friends place though.

I really can't choose between duel sports bikes and standard bikes. When I was riding xr 250 the only thing that I didn't like was I couldn't counter steer it in bends and control it fast like I do in standard bikes. But most of the standard bikes I've ridden has made my back hurt. (I don't know about hornet)

Hey members by the way what do you think about honda hornet 250 and xr 250 when it comes to traveling long distance? I don't use bikes daily but I really like riding long distance. I'm tall ( 6ft 4inches tall) I have not ridden a hornet but I have ridden my friends xr250. I found xr 250 comfy in my 60km ride to gampaha from my friends place though.

i've done over 1000km on my xr in like 5days. went around the island hugging the coastline....

i wouldn't say it was "comfy" cos the roads weren't really "roads"

If it was completely on tarmac i'd say it would be quite comfy. boring but comfy!

I really can't choose between duel sports bikes and standard bikes. When I was riding xr 250 the only thing that I didn't like was I couldn't counter steer it in bends and control it fast like I do in standard bikes. But most of the standard bikes I've ridden has made my back hurt. (I don't know about hornet)

that must be something to do with riding technique...

i've kept up with supermotard XR's on our long range trips even with stand all terrain tyres. The rear tyre would loose grip in high speed cornering but if you're used to riding in dirt tracks, it's not too hard to control.

Thanks for the info ripper. 1000kms wow! hats off! I also am willing to go on such a long trip one day. Longest trip I've gone on a bike is from Gampaha to Kandy :) . A crazy beggar attacked me with a huge rock when I stopped at the color lights near Kandy railway station on my way home :) my fuel tank got a big dent :) The XR I rode is also a supper motto model. Maybe it's because the first duel sport I rode.

Edited by kevin1462

Thanks for the info ripper. 1000kms wow! hats off! I also am willing to go on such a long trip one day. Longest trip I've gone on a bike is from Gampaha to Kandy :) . A crazy beggar attacked me with a huge rock when I stopped at the color lights near Kandy railway station on my way home :) my fuel tank got a big dent :) The XR I rode is also a supper motto model. Maybe it's because the first duel sport I rode.

1350 to be exact...give or take a few miles cos all of us got slightly diff figures on our digi speedos

22949210150183404467344.jpg

the circular bits were or stops for the night.

we started from colombo and rode north hugging the west coast

• Like 3

1350 to be exact...give or take a few miles cos all of us got slightly diff figures on our digi speedos

22949210150183404467344.jpg

the circular bits were or stops for the night.

we started from colombo and rode north hugging the west coast

Respects Sir! allow me to call you Sir Ripper from now on :) wow! I would like to take my AX-1 on the same route one day.

Respects Sir! allow me to call you Sir Ripper from now on :) wow! I would like to take my AX-1 on the same route one day.

our friend VVTI too joined in on this on a rented out baja :)

The rear tyre would loose grip in high speed cornering but if you're used to riding in dirt tracks, it's not too hard to control.

Just like this

Edited by Cyclist

anyone here knows a place to get Valve clearances and cam timing adjusted on a 4 cyl bike? The valve adjustment and carb tuning is of first priority...

Its time i do the valves on my bike... i do most of the services at home on my own... i have an idea on how to reset valves on the bike but for some reason im a bit afraid and short of time... not sure if it might need new shims and stuff... The valves seem to make alot of noise... on idle theres alot of mechanical noise from the engine.

Details of a well known competitive bike mechanic is appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance!

anyone here knows a place to get Valve clearances and cam timing adjusted on a 4 cyl bike? The valve adjustment and carb tuning is of first priority...

Its time i do the valves on my bike... i do most of the services at home on my own... i have an idea on how to reset valves on the bike but for some reason im a bit afraid and short of time... not sure if it might need new shims and stuff... The valves seem to make alot of noise... on idle theres alot of mechanical noise from the engine.

Details of a well known competitive bike mechanic is appreciated.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Is it like a metallic ticking noise? I too get that every now and again. But its not constants. Sometime's a quick rev of the engine takes away the noise. I thought it was something with a valve too, but I'm not experienced to open up that can of worms for a DIY.

Is it like a metallic ticking noise? I too get that every now and again. But its not constants. Sometime's a quick rev of the engine takes away the noise. I thought it was something with a valve too, but I'm not experienced to open up that can of worms for a DIY.

on startup even properly clearance adjusted engines too tick a bit machang. nothing to worry. usually that ticking will reduce and go away once the motor is warmed up. Clearances are set with heat expansion too in mind i believe.

What you should clearly differentiate is valve ticking aka tappet noise from worn out timing chain slapping.

XR's are interference engines and a busted timing chain and high revs wont be good.

on startup even properly clearance adjusted engines too tick a bit machang. nothing to worry. usually that ticking will reduce and go away once the motor is warmed up. Clearances are set with heat expansion too in mind i believe.

What you should clearly differentiate is valve ticking aka tappet noise from worn out timing chain slapping.

XR's are interference engines and a busted timing chain and high revs wont be good.

Ahh i see... thanks... Its a very distinct tick; like a nail hitting a metal surface kinda sound.. not like a chain scratching against something. Anyway its not something you hear all the time, so i'll wait and see how the situation develops before running to a mechanic.

Ahh i see... thanks... Its a very distinct tick; like a nail hitting a metal surface kinda sound.. not like a chain scratching against something. Anyway its not something you hear all the time, so i'll wait and see how the situation develops before running to a mechanic.

chain sound is a distinct slapping noise... so your must be just tappet noise. pretty easy diy if you know what you're doing :D

chain sound is a distinct slapping noise... so your must be just tappet noise. pretty easy diy if you know what you're doing :D

correct me if wrong... a 4 cyl bike with DOHC they require valve adjustments and not tappets replacing right?

On idle my engine seems to be making alot of mechanical noise, this wasnt there before. On the other hand there is a loss of power. I do suppose this happens when the valves go out of spec and need adjusting... ive done about 12k on the clock and not sure if the previous owner did any adjusting with the valves before.

The other day the bike started to misfire, the carbs are out of tune yes, but i think its time the valves need adjusting too...

Anyone recommends a competitive mechanic for 4cyl bikes?

My mech guy is quite good but ive never seem him adjust valves... not sure if other riders take it to him... he does get some fancy bikes but any recommendations are appreciaited.

If you cover the silencer from hand and listen to the engine when it's idling,if you hear a chain slipping noise that means your timing chain is busted right?

On the Hornet 250 there is no timing chain. Its gear driven so it should not have anything to do with a timing chain.

However will be ripping apart the head with the Mechanic and i have a feeling its the valve shims. Does anyone know a place i can buy valve shims from? or even a place i can get them machined and a cut?