• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw Automatic Transmission Reliability

Eurofan

Hi

I just wanted some feedback on the reliability of automatics on bimmers. Especially in the E46/E39/E90 models? They run the ZF transmission based on my research.

I would like to know the following

1. Have any of you heard or experienced failures on any of the autobox Bimmers? And at what mileages

2. What are the type of failures?

3. Would changing ATF every 50,000 Km extend the life of the car gearbox?

and most importantly

3. Is there any place in Sri Lanka that can undertake a complete rebuild of bimmer or any euro auto boxes?? What would the cost be like? because i heard even a brand new one could cost in excess of 700k

Rgds

Hi

I just wanted some feedback on the reliability of automatics on bimmers. Especially in the E46/E39/E90 models? They run the ZF transmission based on my research.

I would like to know the following

1. Have any of you heard or experienced failures on any of the autobox Bimmers? And at what mileages

2. What are the type of failures?

3. Would changing ATF every 50,000 Km extend the life of the car gearbox?

and most importantly

3. Is there any place in Sri Lanka that can undertake a complete rebuild of bimmer or any euro auto boxes?? What would the cost be like? because i heard even a brand new one could cost in excess of 700k

Rgds

Hi, I have an E36 with the ZF 5HP 18. It had clocked 69k miles, when it needed a rebuild. That too I guess cos the ATF had not been changed for awhile, or the first owner had tried some stunt..

I got down the repair kit from Thailand (OEM stuff) which includes all 5 clutches, 'O" rings and packing kit. I also replaced the D-drum and two tension plates. All cost me 55 grand for the parts, and another 30 grand for the oil. Point to note.. use either ZF branded oil, or BMW life time ATF. Stay away from Mobil or any other. Tried and tested.. they don't work.

The agents not the other expert will under take to do rebuild.. I got it done by another guys who knows his way around the Germans. Been driving it for almost a year since the repair.. with no issues.. and I do drive hard.. :)