• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Import Vehicles From Japan?

Mohamed Zaid

hi guyz.

just want to know if I can import a vehicle without any permits? if i need a permit, what is it and how do I get it??

how do they calculate tax on imported vehicles? is it a fixed rate or depends in type of vehicle, engine capacity etc.? I am looking to import a van and it costs me US$ 26,500 for CIF. its a Toyota kdh 2009. how much will I have to pay tax??

hope anyone will help me here please??

example= toyota hiace diesel van KR-KDH200V SL Agent valivation for this van is 1819500JPY. So this is how it works. the sl agent valiue is the cost of the same vehicle (B.new CIF) import by the SL Agent from japan. so the duty will be 120% from that. when you import a used vehicle it has a depreciation it calculated by the period of first reg. date and the shipment date in japan (customs.gov.lk). that means in year 2009 van depreciation will be 55% from the agent valiue. 1819500JPYx55%= 1000725JPY this will be the price that customs gonna calculated the duty. so your invoice valiue for this vehicle must be lower than the Agent valiue. if it is not custom will take your valiue (which will take the higher valiue) for duty process. now the duty is (Agent valiue) x (customs Depreciation) x 120% 1819500JPYx55% x 120%= 1200870JPYx1.5(convert to LKR)= 1801305rupees. Tip= try to import a vehicle max 5years of age (2007) that will gain your depreciation. so that can help to lower your import duty. ####