• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Peugeot 406 Engines

ChampJay

Hi

I'm using 406 D9 (2001) and engine already done about 230,000 KM.

Engine is not under compression but I feel it burn some fuel that it expect ( Done around 6.5 per liter in Colombo ).

Already I have noticed some oil leaks from oil seals of left hand side of engine ( Which I guess common for 406 ) and clutch is also bit tight.

Engine of mine is L6A (Old Model - Correct me if I'm wrong) 1.8L .

So is there any place where I can buy new low mileage Engines for Peugeots in Sri Lanka? And what would be the rough price for engine?

I heard new model engine (Which comes with engine cover) is better than model in mine. Is that correct?

What is the best option if I replace my engine?

Cheers

ChampJay

Edited by ChampJay

Hi

I'm using 406 D9 (2001) and engine already done about 230,000 KM.

Engine is not under compression but I feel it burn some fuel that it expect ( Done around 6.5 per liter in Colombo ).

Already I have noticed some oil leaks from oil seals of left hand side of engine ( Which I guess common for 406 ) and clutch is also bit tight.

Engine of mine is L6A (Old Model - Correct me if I'm wrong) 1.8L .

So is there any place where I can buy new low mileage Engines for Peugeots in Sri Lanka? And what would be the rough price for engine?

I heard new model engine (Which comes with engine cover) is better than model in mine. Is that correct?

What is the best option if I replace my engine?

Cheers

ChampJay

The L6A engine is popular for it's low fuel efficiency but high reliability compared to the other engine variation they offered. 6.5 kmpl it towards low fuel efficiency side, yet not drastic and also heavily depend on the driving conditions, style and the pay load of the vehicle and the quality of the A/C system!! (this is highly affecting peugeots as the compressors are heavy on the engine) So before trying to pull out and plant an unknown engine, try to really see whether there's an issue in the engine first. Although I'm not a fan of L6A engine in terms of power and efficiency, I have to appraise it for the reliability and low cost of spare parts replacements.

Prices of the engines may start from 250k and go up depending on various factors. Some re-conditioned spare parts places such as TE*J*Y in Mt. Lavinia had engines brought down but I haven't checked the prices.

the leaks you mentioned may not be classified as common for Peugeot but common for any vehicle which has not maintained to the standards. You can always opt for a timing belt change with changing of those oil seals and a full injector clean up (I meant a proper removal and clean up with re-pressurizing, not pouring those chemical liquids in)

If you decide to change the engine (to something else than L6A ) ,it's not easy as it may seem to be. The mountings are different the gearbox may be needing a replacement, engine management system (ECU) needs to be replaced also the engine wiring harness.

The older the pressure plate and the clutch cable, this tends to get stiff. Try oiling the clutch cable would sort the issue out. If not, bear with it until clutch needing a replacement, replace otherwise.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...