• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota Corolla 141 Transmission Fluid

k119

Question

Hi gyus,

I have recently service my car (corolla 141 lx, 2008), but not from Toyota lanka. Then I check ATF and it seems I need to change it. Fluid color is black. But last servcie was done from Toyota Lanka and I have the receipt which change the ATF as well (this was done by the previous owner not me). That is exactly 5000km ago on previous service. I call them and they confirmed only need to change ATF after 40000km mostly. And no need to do it since its only 5000km after the last ATF change.

I am quite confuse what to do. Please help.

12 answers to this question

Mate, sellers can issue any type of receipts these days to convince a buyer! :) .If you can cross check it with toyota lanka or if you know the guy before, then dont change. When i bought mine, there was a similar receipt( not from a agent though) but i felt it was bit weird and changed the engine oil and found out that engine oil hasnt changed for ages. It all depaends on the type of the ex-owner!

Mate, sellers can issue any type of receipts these days to convince a buyer! :) .If you can cross check it with toyota lanka or if you know the guy before, then dont change. When i bought mine, there was a similar receipt( not from a agent though) but i felt it was bit weird and changed the engine oil and found out that engine oil hasnt changed for ages. It all depaends on the type of the ex-owner!

Yes. I had similar thoughs as well. I have cross check with toyota lanka. Then they said what was in the receipt is correct. And no need to do change ATF.

One of my friend had a similar issue. Maintenance history is there. But the prev owner tend to park the vehicle on service station and left. Late evening he come back and collect the vehicle and the service station provide him with relevant docs for service done for the vehicle. My friend bought this particular car(mazda familia) and after 2 months he has to replace the engine. Prev owner was a decent guy and agree to pay him 1/2 the price

Since this the agent I have kind of confidense over last fluid change. Then I need to check why its need to change so quickly than normal. Any known issue with gear box or the any info would be help full.

are you sure there is a dipstick to check ATF level in a 141? AFAIK all newer cars come with a lifetime oil. there is no place to add oil. just an inaccessible nut on the side through which you can top up though.. there no drain plug as well.

If you do a regular ATF change just by draining the fluid from the drain nut and refilling with new ATF, that does not take all of your fluid out and still your transmission will hold about 1 or 2 Lts (depending on the size of the transmission) inside and when you refill new AFT, the old dirty oil will get mixed with new. To minimize this you need flush the transmission or just drain it twice with new oil. If you do regular service, this is not necessary, but if the ATF has not being changed for a long time, It would be a good idea to do so. I personally change ATF every 20,000 Kms or when ever the colour turns dark brown which ever comes first. If you are driving under heavy traffic conditions you need to change your ATF more often. It would be a good idea to get your ATF cooling system checked because if there is a block in your cooling system your ATF will turn into dark brown and too thick in no time. Heat is the number 1 enemy of ATF. An ATF change will cost you few thousands of Rupees i guess and if you are little bit handy with tools and mechanical stuff, you can get it done by your self...just need to buy few bottles of ATF. If you run the car with crappy ATF that will eventually destroy your transmission which I don't have to tell you how expensive to replace...also just because you don't have a drain nut you can't assume your car comes with a lifetime ATF, always check with the manufacturer or GOOGLE :) My car does not have a drain nut because the car maker has mentioned to perform a full ATF change every time including the filter by taking off the Sump completely after 40,000Kms and that's the case with most of new cars, they are more sensitive to the quality of ATF and they need to have a complete ATF service when ever the ATF need to be changed and also you have to use the correct fluid in it( VERY IMPORTANT), Normally you use DEXTRON II or DEXTRON III standard but mine is being a Nissan they have specifically asked to use NISSAN AFT-J in it...Hope this will help..

Cheers...

Edited by Fixzit

Yes, In fact I used a Caltex Havoline ATF-J it was called if i can remember right. Genuine Nissan ATF-J was nearly the doubled of the price of Caltex.. I didn't see any point of using Nissan Matic J bcz i know for a fact that car makers do not make any fluids, they just buy it from another company and put their name on it for a higher price. Any well reputed brand will do the trick. I personally preffer Castrol cz i know that they make quality products, and Toyota use Castrol in their fluids as well, but I couldn't find ATF-J in Castrol while I was in SL.

Edited by Fixzit

Hi gyus,

I have recently service my car (corolla 141 lx, 2008), but not from Toyota lanka. Then I check ATF and it seems I need to change it. Fluid color is black. But last servcie was done from Toyota Lanka and I have the receipt which change the ATF as well (this was done by the previous owner not me). That is exactly 5000km ago on previous service. I call them and they confirmed only need to change ATF after 40000km mostly. And no need to do it since its only 5000km after the last ATF change.

I am quite confuse what to do. Please help.

if you have a doubt better you change ATF

Yes, In fact I used a Caltex Havoline ATF-J it was called if i can remember right. Genuine Nissan ATF-J was nearly the doubled of the price of Caltex.. I didn't see any point of using Nissan Matic J bcz i know for a fact that car makers do not make any fluids, they just buy it from another company and put their name on it for a higher price. Any well reputed brand will do the trick. I personally preffer Castrol cz i know that they make quality products, and Toyota use Castrol in their fluids as well, but I couldn't find ATF-J in Castrol while I was in SL.

Thanx mate

I saw a valvoline product @ punchi

I didn't buy it coz if didn't match, I would be in trouble,

now i'll get it when i go back.

Edited by Clark's son

I saw someone mentioning lifetime ATF, this is false information AFAIK from my little knowledge, this is a story dished by some rouge car dealers towards innocent day to day buyer, and the story has got some attention and I fine people saying the same.

I saw someone mentioning lifetime ATF, this is false information AFAIK from my little knowledge, this is a story dished by some rouge car dealers towards innocent day to day buyer, and the story has got some attention and I fine people saying the same.

Can't really blame the rouge car dealers, when the manufacturers themselves market it in that way