• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Atf Replacement For 1997 Model Mitsubishi Lancer With Dohc Engine

Arj1975

Hi folks,

I'm a newbie to this forum.

I have a 1997 manufactured Mitsubishi Lancer (Japan Used) with a 4G15 DOHC Petrol engine. I now believe that the ATF needs to be replaced but do not have the owner's manual and have no reference to the replacement ATF.

Appreciate help in identifying a suitable ATF replacement. Thanks in advance :-)

Cheers

Arj1975

Welcome to the forum! As far as I know the Lacer auto box does not require any special treatment so any competent service station with an ATF exchanger should be able to sort you out. Some auto transmissions require special oils like the Honda CVT and BMW ZF systems but I've not heard of the Mitsubishi system requiring anything special.

Welcome to the forum! As far as I know the Lacer auto box does not require any special treatment so any competent service station with an ATF exchanger should be able to sort you out. Some auto transmissions require special oils like the Honda CVT and BMW ZF systems but I've not heard of the Mitsubishi system requiring anything special.

I'm kinda curious as to why you would recommend the use of an ATF exchanger. From my experience, the good old methood of flushing manually seems to work a lot better i.e. no damage to the seals, specially on an older vehicle.

I'm kinda curious as to why you would recommend the use of an ATF exchanger. From my experience, the good old methood of flushing manually seems to work a lot better i.e. no damage to the seals, specially on an older vehicle.

I will admit I've not used an ATF exchanger since I've not owned an automatic. It is mostly based on advice and feedback I've got that an exchanger is more efficient at clearing existing ATF from the system before replacing it, while as if you manually drain it (without dismantling the transmission), it could leave a significant percentage of old ATF inside the system negating the benefits of replacing ATF.

I will admit I've not used an ATF exchanger since I've not owned an automatic. It is mostly based on advice and feedback I've got that an exchanger is more efficient at clearing existing ATF from the system before replacing it, while as if you manually drain it (without dismantling the transmission), it could leave a significant percentage of old ATF inside the system negating the benefits of replacing ATF.

Well from what i've seen the instances of damage on transmissions is a lot higher than doing it manually. I usually run a few liters of fresh fluid when doing it manually. The last time my dad got his vehicle machine flushed, he ended up destroying the transmission. If done right I don't see how doing it manually would be worse. Although it is up for debate.