• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Hrv Owners

Ilango

• 2 weeks later...

Bump, same here. A decent vehical as it sounds but not much has been shared on AL forum. Appreciate if anyone could share some details for a potential buyer.

BTW this one looked awesome!

00080650_2.jpg00080650_4.jpg

Edited by dedos

I've been a HRV owner for sometime. Other than the CVT gearbox issue which would arise if the CVT is not taken care properly it is a very nice vehicle. And the Honda D16 engine (1499cc) + transmission provides good response. 4WD system is not good for 4WD adventures but still the 4WD system is good enough to run on beach or on muddy trails - But I don't think most of the SUV users would really dare to put their vehicles to real mud. 4WD is engaged automatically and you don't have any control over it. Mine haven't given me much trouble for the past 2 years. HRV is very reliable and handling is quite good. It is essential that CVT oil is changed on time but it costs about 10,000 Rs per change. If you can find go for a JS4 Engine, GH4 body trim. Nowadays there are many HRVs around so parts are not a big issue but a little bit on the expensive side than common toyota/nissan models.

HRV delivers decent fuel economy but don't expect it to be like an alto.. Passenger space is good but boot space is not huge - But in case you want to carry a large load, you can fold the rear seats (which are adjustable). Rear seats are designed for 2 passengers as the seats are adjustable..

Mine has the following options :

Climate control AC with digital panel

Original navigation with the original ICE - No use as it is Japanese.. But sound quality is good

Sun roof (not the sliding type though)

Most (if not all) comes with alloy wheels, retractable power mirrors, ABS and EBD, Rear wiper , Power shutters etc.

You could find the engine specs etc from www.honda-hrv.info/

Discussions on HRV related issues etc could be found from http://www.hondasuv.com/members/forumdisplay.php?f=6

Please let me know if you have any more queries, I'll try to help. All in all its a nice ride - but old.

Edited by HRV
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Honda experts

i'm planing to buy a HRV and also fund one which is manufacture in 2001,my question is how do i know weather the cvt gear box in good condition or not ,what are the possible test that i could do to identified the cvt issues in that particular vehicle,body condition and the interior is looks OK to me,other problem is current owner is a buying and seller and dose not have any maintenance records with him as well.

Hope to here from you guys soon,tomorrow going to see the car again and your expert advice is really appreciate.

Cheers

Hi,

I won't call myself a Honda expert :) but I do have a fair knowledge with my ride. To check whether the CVT transmission is in a good condition;

when the car is stopped in traffic (in D and you are on brake), instead of gently accellerating, do some hard accelleration. If the CVT issue is there, there would be a vibration, and a judder. (Note : This would be from stop to start). However the seller can also temporary stop this issue as there is an oil additive (Could be found at Tech motors panchikawatta) which would cure the problem (atleast temporary)..

Below blog from a fellow Sri Lankan conrtains details on the oil

http://rayazmuthalif.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/how-to-avoid-cvt-gearbox-failures-in-honda-city-fit-jazz-a-sri-lankan-perspective/

Edited by HRV

Hi,

Like to share some of my experiences on this issue.

My HR-V is JS4 - GH4 (4WD)

I also had that same vibration issue, you can get rid of this from doing a transmission valve body cleaning, You can find 2 oil filters once you open it. One can be cleaned and other can be replaced, and the oil has to be refilled to ensure the condition.

For your reference I got this done at Stafford.

Now my vehicle runs smoothly :), I advice all of HR-V owners to clean the transmission valve body for every 50000KM. (Because I have done this same service 50000KM before too)

When talking about the vehicle, Its a very satisfying vehicle, Im getting around 9.5 to 10Km/L. and you can get help from people at www.hondasuv.com

and for parts www.hondaoriginalparts.com

Wish you all the best with your HR-V :)

Hi,

I won't call myself a Honda expert :) but I do have a fair knowledge with my ride. To check whether the CVT transmission is in a good condition;

when the car is stopped in traffic (in D and you are on brake), instead of gently accellerating, do some hard accelleration. If the CVT issue is there, there would be a vibration, and a judder. (Note : This would be from stop to start). However the seller can also temporary stop this issue as there is an oil additive (Could be found at Tech motors panchikawatta) which would cure the problem (atleast temporary)..

Below blog from a fellow Sri Lankan conrtains details on the oil

http://rayazmuthalif...an-perspective/

• Like 1

Hi,

Like to share some of my experiences on this issue.

My HR-V is JS4 - GH4 (4WD)

I also had that same vibration issue, you can get rid of this from doing a transmission valve body cleaning, You can find 2 oil filters once you open it. One can be cleaned and other can be replaced, and the oil has to be refilled to ensure the condition.

For your reference I got this done at Stafford.

Now my vehicle runs smoothly :), I advice all of HR-V owners to clean the transmission valve body for every 50000KM. (Because I have done this same service 50000KM before too)

When talking about the vehicle, Its a very satisfying vehicle, Im getting around 9.5 to 10Km/L. and you can get help from people at www.hondasuv.com

and for parts www.hondaoriginalparts.com

Wish you all the best with your HR-V :)

Kushan,

Have you ordered any parts from hondaoriginalparts.com?. Are they shiping to sri lanka. Thank you very much for the link as it has rare service manual diagrams !

I agree on Kushan's comments regarding the valve cleaning. As he has also mentioned it is a very satisfying vehicle - Unless the CVT issue is in a severe condition don't worry about it too much.. Every vehicle would have few flaws after running for 100,000 + KM - as long as it could be repaired with a reasonable amount and effort it should be OK (Thats my personal opinion)

Edited by HRV
  • Like 1

Hi Honda experts

i'm planing to buy a HRV and also fund one which is manufacture in 2001,my question is how do i know weather the cvt gear box in good condition or not ,what are the possible test that i could do to identified the cvt issues in that particular vehicle,body condition and the interior is looks OK to me,other problem is current owner is a buying and seller and dose not have any maintenance records with him as well.

Hope to here from you guys soon,tomorrow going to see the car again and your expert advice is really appreciate.

Cheers

IMO it is better to source a secondhand vehicle from a genuine user than a buying and selling business man, due to the below reasons,

1. They must have bought the vehicle for a less amount fro the previous owner meaning that you could have got it for a cheaper price.

2. The businessman will always try to make a profit by hiding problems and doing temporary fixes, so that the problems persist,

3. They know a lot about how to hide problems because than the owner because it is their job.

4. They are experienced in ODO meter adjustments.

5.And sometimes owners sell their vehicles to these because they can't face the customer(due to the vehicle been a lemon), - I have faced this problem once and finally sold it to the same sale for 20% less (as i also didn't want to face the buyer) due to the vehicle been completely destroyed by overheating.

So go to the buy section in autolanka select Honda type HR-V, and find a vehicle which suits you.

If that's not enough get some Sunday papers and go trough the classifieds.

Yes if you really like the car take it for a extensive check-up at some place you know, because problems may be hidden.

This is just an advice. There may be completely genuine car selling businessman

My First SUV was a HRV ... and im a die hard Honda User / Fan ... i drove the vehicle for more than 100000Km and didnt give any single issue....onlything i did was changed the CVT fluid(so called MMT) in every 20000Km and all the maintenance, services did at the agents... (Staffords)...since im the first owner of it... could manage the vehicle without a single issue for about 4 years... really really enjoyed it.... for all that 4 years...i changed only suspension parts i.e. Dampers, Bushings, Knuckels and other drive train parts....never came across a major repair... this so called Gear Box issue never came to me...as because i used the vehicle properly with having the proper maintenance in place.... ! Highly recomended vehicle....but pls make sure that the owners has not ruined it....before any one planning to buy one! Cool facts : Good Torque on front wheels... pls use 95OCT for the HRV engine as because due to it's engine high compression ratio... RON is 95OCT... u can easily achieve 9Km/L in Urban without any issues ! Extra Urban : 12-13Km/L for sure !

• Like 1

Hi K14120 thanks for the info mate,

Happy days,thats pretty interesting story, i wish i could have a vehicle like you had, still waiting for the call from the owner to go and see. Hope to put both the vehicle and the owner in to test :medium-smiley-032:

Edited by Honda Hybrid

Hi,

You have to spend 12K for CVT oils (6 Litres), and around 2K for the oil filter, labour charge would be around 4K.

Hi Kushan

Thanks for the info mate, by the way how much you spent for all these, i will post more info after i check the vehicle tomorrow,fingers crossed ^_^

cheers

Havent ordered anything so far, But they do shipping for Sri Lanka, Got an inquiry from them few months ago for something. If you cant find the part there you required you can drop them a mail by asking the part cost and the shipping cost, they will send you an invoice with all the details, and If you have enough money, you can import any part of the vehicle, so nothing to be afraid of :)

Kushan,

Have you ordered any parts from hondaoriginalparts.com?. Are they shiping to sri lanka. Thank you very much for the link as it has rare service manual diagrams !

Guys no surprise!!!, as i thought owner didn’t turn up as he promised, when i told him on the other day that I’m going to bring Honda expert with me to inspect the car and that made him to change his mind i think, never mind finally i didn’t fall in to a trouble, but still i'm searching for well-maintained HR-V, Big thank for the guys who gave me some expert advices.

Cheers

2002 update on the HRV was a bit more than cosmetic. Honda played around with/improved the start-clutch set up on the cvt and also did some work on some of the suspension mountings that were prone to cracking under heavy use. As everyone says, the key to life on cvt transmissions is fuid change to time or even more frequently. With a cvt Jazz I had for years, I used to find myself scratching my head and saying "Okkkkkkkkkkkkk, great fuel consumption but Lordy, Lordy this fluid change is costing me a fortune AGAIN!," The real horror of cvts is that, once out of warranty, if they do go west, they cost just too much to fix (like so many other modern transmission solutions!) Actually, I've decided to keep away from cars with cvts. JMHO, I'm probably wrong though.

Anyway, if you're looking around the market for a HRV, maybe think about whether the 2002+ models are the way to go????

Hi Scooter

Bro you mean to say that i should look for HR-V's that manufacture after 2002? I know this is ethically wrong in the forum to ask something like this, bro please let me know if you have known to someone who is willing to sell the HRV as per the specification given by you I would love to have looked at it, I really love this vehicle.

cheers

Edited by Honda Hybrid

• 4 months later...