• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda Demio Gets Electric

Rohnd

Mazda Japan in communique today(6/7/2012) announced it's new electric vehicle Demio EV on Demio (Mazda2) platform which will be available in October 2012. It is not a Hybrid ,but all electric, powered by a LI-ION Battery pack which has a driving range of 200km. The power output has been suggested to 75Kw (>5200 rpm) and torque of 150Nm at 0-2800 rpm.The suggested price in Japan in Yen (including Tax) is 3,577,000 , to be issued on lease to corporate custormers in western Japan first.

Will it be successful ! We will see !.

120706a.jpg

Completely irrelevant, but 1974 for the first (and last!) time I drove an all-electric car. An English-built Enfield. Not impressive, I tell you. We had it at the NRMA in Sydney for a demonstration. We were young and we p*ssed ourselves laughing as we had to push it up the long. steep circular ramp out of the underground car park because the vehicle didn't have the guts to get up it itself! We all buggered off for a couple of beers after the effort! The beer was the best part of the demonstartion day.

Completely irrelevant, but 1974 for the first (and last!) time I drove an all-electric car. An English-built Enfield. Not impressive, I tell you. We had it at the NRMA in Sydney for a demonstration. We were young and we p*ssed ourselves laughing as we had to push it up the long. steep circular ramp out of the underground car park because the vehicle didn't have the guts to get up it itself! We all buggered off for a couple of beers after the effort! The beer was the best part of the demonstartion day.

Thanks Scooter, You are on the correct track. That is why I mentioned 'will this be a success' !.

This is not the first time. Many manufacturers put forward effort to develop all electric cars in the history

specially in US,because the whole world has to face the end of fuel fossil problem in the future,The Zero

emission is a scondary factor.

Early efforts have not been commercially sucsess yet, in this regard . Still doubt and believe that the world may

have a different solution other than all electric vehicle.

There are some differences I see in Mazda Demio example.

1. They have incorporated it to an existing platform so the the body weight, feeling to passengers,comfort etc still there.

2. When we see the specifications mentioned, the power output/torque equivalent to a it's fuel class vehicle so the

vehicle guts you mentioned will not be appeared.

3. Other harassment is still there with 200 Km , the charging cycle. If it is at least 400Km,would be fine.

Hi Roh, yeh - interesting times for the car makers and the all electric vehicles. Holden in Aus are just about to launch rheir Volt

http://www.holden.com.au/pages/volt-coming-soon

and they are doing heaps of teasers/prelaunch publicity stuff. General feeling is "yawn"....much more exciterment over the new-to-the-market Toyota A86. Mitsubishi have been tring to sell their I-MIEV electric here this year but at $50k for a roller-skate everyone is still laughing their heads off.

My overall feeling is that we'll eke out the petrol cars for as long as we can....and then, who know? Maybe we will go all Jetsons and have a little reactor under the back seat!