• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Black Smoke In Diesel , Injector Cleaning ?

chan5

Question

hi all.

I've a 1997 toyota wagon with 2C-T engine.

has done complete overhaul using genuine parts before 50,000kms.

Now it emmits a black blue colour smoke when accelerate, it's ok in idle,

my mechanic suggested an injector cleaning.

I've these questions.

1-what's it.?

2-what's the proper way of doing.(some ultrasound way)

3-what's the recommended place around colombo and the cost.

4-does it solve my problem?

5-what are the other things that i

should attend regarding this issue.

I searched the forum but didn't get quite relevant recent inputs.

And i'm new to this diesel cars.

Thanks in advance.

15 answers to this question

not really familiar with that motor but generally...black smoke means either there is too much of fuel being burnt or incomplete burn.

Blue/white smoke indicates oil burn.

Generally, when injector springs loose their tension....it ends up squirting more fuel into the chamber. result - bad fuel figures and black smoke.

Clogged air filter too will result in black smoke since the fuel isn't getting enough air to fully burn.

Another thing can be the injector pump. If the pump isn't providing enough pressure, fuel can be partially burnt.

I'm assuming this is a mechanical fuel injection motor and not electronically controlled one.

2C-T comes with a turbo charger if I'm not mistaken. How's the turbo working? does it activates at the proper RPM ? Usually 1500RPM, but just check for the specification of this engine. Also how's the diesel pump? the calibration specially. If it's not calibrated properly to control the flow of fuel, there can be black smoke too.

2C-T comes with a turbo charger if I'm not mistaken. How's the turbo working? does it activates at the proper RPM ? Usually 1500RPM, but just check for the specification of this engine. Also how's the diesel pump? the calibration specially. If it's not calibrated properly to control the flow of fuel, there can be black smoke too.

yes harshan, it's a turbo.

And i don't feel any sound which should hear when turbo is kicking in (comparing 406Hdi).don't know it's inaudible in toyotas.mechanic said the turbo is ok.but i

don't feel any difference it kicking.

About diesel pump thing, i'm not sure , how to check those please ?

[quote name=

' timestamp=1345533007' post='218451]Check with Ediri**** brothers Auto court Thotalanga, they are good in these.

Or there are lot of small joints who do good job in injector cleaning.

Don't pay more than Rs. 1500 for cleaning all 4 injectors. Company price for 4 injector cleaning of this model engine is Rs. 1500

is that for ultrasound thing machan?

If agents charge 1.5k i could go there , any other places for job? In nugegoda, borella area.

Edited by chan5

it only cost about 2000 - 2500 to replace the injectors so 1500 to clean them sounds ok..just quick question though..did the smoke start coming after this whole diesel fiasco with CPC if thats the case you might have gunk in your tank which is screwing your injectors and injector pump

it only cost about 2000 - 2500 to replace the injectors so 1500 to clean them sounds ok..just quick question though..did the smoke start coming after this whole diesel fiasco with CPC if thats the case you might have gunk in your tank which is screwing your injectors and injector pump

no machan. the issue was there before the diesel fiasco,i'll anyway do an injector cleanup and see,

not really familiar with that motor but generally...black smoke means either there is too much of fuel being burnt or incomplete burn.

Blue/white smoke indicates oil burn.

Generally, when injector springs loose their tension....it ends up squirting more fuel into the chamber. result - bad fuel figures and black smoke.

Clogged air filter too will result in black smoke since the fuel isn't getting enough air to fully burn.

Another thing can be the injector pump. If the pump isn't providing enough pressure, fuel can be partially burnt.

I'm assuming this is a mechanical fuel injection motor and not electronically controlled one.

i changed the air filter too in last service, but there's no much improvement, but the oil level of the engine doesn't drop, which is at almost constant level, so feel that's not an oil burning.about the fuel pump, my mechanic said that it's mechanical type.

now thought of doing the injector cleaning and let you know the results.

first i.m thinking of fuel system cleaner...

i changed the air filter too in last service, but there's no much improvement, but the oil level of the engine doesn't drop, which is at almost constant level, so feel that's not an oil burning.about the fuel pump, my mechanic said that it's mechanical type.

now thought of doing the injector cleaning and let you know the results.

first i.m thinking of fuel system cleaner...

If you haven't done up the injectors in a while, i wouldn't bother with fuel system cleaners.

Just do a manual injector cleanup and adjust the injectors if they have lost tension in the springs.

Sometimes, as it was the case for me somewhat recently...you'd need to replace the injectors. So pointless busting bucks on fuel system cleaners when you don't really know the condition of your injectors. As "yala" said....injectors aren't that pricey.

If you haven't done up the injectors in a while, i wouldn't bother with fuel system cleaners.

Just do a manual injector cleanup and adjust the injectors if they have lost tension in the springs.

Sometimes, as it was the case for me somewhat recently...you'd need to replace the injectors. So pointless busting bucks on fuel system cleaners when you don't really know the condition of your injectors. As "yala" said....injectors aren't that pricey.

further, certain fuel system cleaners have adverse effects on old diesel engines,especially when the old motor has carbon buildups on the combusion chamber which helps to maintain a higher compression ratio and still ignites diesel. These liquids might remove such build-ups which will eventually result in showing signs of under compression.

hi all.

Did the injector cleaning with ultrasound way.

Not much improvement yet.

And also got to know that turbo is working and it kicks on at about 2500Rpm.

And the 2C-Turbo in my car has got a mechanical type fuel pump.

Now what should i check?

you can probably get your injection pump or turbo serviced (oil seals maybe leaking oil). when the turbo burns oil, black smoke is evident. i've seen this happening on many pajero intercoolers, 65- prados etc .

you can probably get your injection pump or turbo serviced (oil seals maybe leaking oil). when the turbo burns oil, black smoke is evident. i've seen this happening on many pajero intercoolers, 65- prados etc .

Since when does a turbo "burn" anything? do you know what a turbocharger is?

Since when does a turbo "burn" anything? do you know what a turbocharger is?

Some makabasses give these sort of wrong terms and explanations.

If oil used to lubricate the turbo, gets into the intake due to leaks, that can cause an oil burn. Yet, that smoke is NOT black. If the leak is excessive, a bluish smoke would emit. Further, any old turbo can cause a slight oil leak and burning, that is in most cases insignificant.

My personal opinion is in this case, either the deisel flow is too much due to

1. Incorrectly calibrated pump or injectors ( now we can leave out that)

Or

In sufficient air flow

1 due to any obstacle in the intake or turbo doesnt do the job right.

• Like 1

did changed the air filter which was pretty bad for some reason.(probably service station morones haven't changed it eventhough charged me)

And had a E01 run to downsouth with super diesel.

think it's almost ok now.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Gave ME a lesson.

Simple first.