• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Battery Drained - Brake Light On

NPP

Question

My battery suddenly seems to have drained and could not start the car. Now I noticed that the brake light has been on all this time although the car was parked.

It's a Toyota Vios.

I'm waiting for the batmobile to jump start and think about this tomo. But it would be the same case tomorrow as well.

Is it a simple issue that I can fix or should I take it to the garage?

7 answers to this question

Your brake switch maybe bad or the bush on the pedal side has fallen off, preventing the switch from engaging. If you look under the dash and follow the arm of the brake pedal all the way in, you should notice a plastic box with a connector going in. You can twist it and remove it. Once you do this, depress the rod in the box inward, your lights should switch off, if the lights switch off, you are good and you would need to inspect/replace the bush that hits the switch. If it doesn't switch off, you would need to replace the switch.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

• Like 1

Thanks jd.

Is this bush a small circular piece? If so there is one on the floor.

I followed the arm of the pedal but couldnt find a box. Found a connector i think which is going towards the engine bay side

Yep. Looks like you found your problem. If it's still in good shape just put it back, or else find a replacement. The round part that hold the rubber together in a bata slipper would work, if you can't find anything else. Just shape it so it fits through the hole.

My battery suddenly seems to have drained and could not start the car. Now I noticed that the brake light has been on all this time although the car was parked.

It's a Toyota Vios.

I'm waiting for the batmobile to jump start and think about this tomo. But it would be the same case tomorrow as well.

Is it a simple issue that I can fix or should I take it to the garage?

I had the same issue a couple of months ago in my Vios. What happens is, that small rubber bush on the pedal degrades. When it fell off the first time, I re-attached it to the pedal. However, a few days later, the same problem occurred & the rubber bush had disintegrated into several pieces. I shaped a rubber bush the same thickness as the original using a small bush sold in packets at Arpico. That bush was attached to the pedal using Multibond. In my case, the security system siren used to come on when the battery started draining beyond a certain threshold, so I was able to temporarily keep something like a piece of cardboard in between the break pedal lever & brake light switch when the vehicle was stationary until the problem was rectified.

Edited by Az

I had the same issue a couple of months ago in my Vios. What happens is, that small rubber bush on the pedal degrades. When it fell off the first time, I re-attached it to the pedal. However, a few days later, the same problem occurred & the rubber bush had disintegrated into several pieces. I shaped a rubber bush the same thickness as the original using a small bush sold in packets at Arpico. That bush was attached to the pedal using Multibond. In my case, the security system siren used to come on when the battery started draining beyond a certain threshold, so I was able to temporarily keep something like a piece of cardboard in between the break pedal lever & brake light switch when the vehicle was stationary until the problem was rectified.

Thanks Az,

I didn't see the brake light during day and spotted it only when it was dark, by then it was too late. First I thought it must be some short circuit. Aftet Jd's reply, I searched the floor and found the bush.

Now, I kept it in between temporarily overnight. Was thinking of the multibond fix, but after reading your post, I think I should get a replacement. (It seems to be in good shape though)

Well, saved quite a bit of time and rupees thanks to this forum!

Cheers!

I also had the same issue, with a different make and model. I fixed a smooth headed bolt through the hole which used to hold the rubber bush. Now it is a "life time" solution for just Rs.5/-.

The only thing i had to consider was to select a bolt head with a maching thickness (as of the original bush) and had to make sure that the head of the bolt is not likely to damage the plastic pin of the brake light switch with prolonged usage.