• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Types....

abcjayasinghe

I'm having a toyota carina AT192 1995 model. Registration certificate says that it's got a 5A-xxxxxxx engine. what does it mean by this 5A? how does it differs from the 4A engine. Is there a way to check whether your car's engine is 5a or 4a just by inspecting the engine ?

Thanks!

Hi abc..

AT19X/CT19X engine types:

5A-FE - 1.5L (AT192)

4A-FE - 1.6L (AT190)

7A-FE - 1.8L (AT191)

3S-FE - 2.0L (ST195 - 4WD)

2C - 2.0L Diesel (CT190) & 4WD (CT195)

As such, if ur chassis code is AT192, your car originally came with 1.5L 5A-FE engine which is what is shown on the registration certificate. Differs from 4A-FE as shown above in that 5A-FE is 1.5L whereas 4A-FE is 1.6L.

The engine number is usually embossed/engraved somewhere on the engine. I'm not sure of the exact location, perhaps another member would be able to help out. If the engine no differs from the number indicated on the registration certificate then the engine has been changed.

Hope this helps..

Hi abc..

AT19X/CT19X engine types:

5A-FE - 1.5L (AT192)

4A-FE - 1.6L (AT190)

7A-FE - 1.8L (AT191)

3S-FE - 2.0L (ST195 - 4WD)

2C - 2.0L Diesel (CT190) & 4WD (CT195)

As such, if ur chassis code is AT192, your car originally came with 1.5L 5A-FE engine which is what is shown on the registration certificate. Differs from 4A-FE as shown above in that 5A-FE is 1.5L whereas 4A-FE is 1.6L.

The engine number is usually embossed/engraved somewhere on the engine. I'm not sure of the exact location, perhaps another member would be able to help out. If the engine no differs from the number indicated on the registration certificate then the engine has been changed.

Hope this helps..

Thanks a lot for your quick response....

Is this coding system is all about the diffenrence in cylindar capacity? ..I was once told by a mech that, the 4A engines are inferior in performance compared to 5A but, what you have posted would suggest otherwise. (1.6L against 1.5L) Please correct me if I'm wrong....

Regards.!

Your mechanic is wrong. the 1.6L has more than 10hp more than the 1.5L for JDM cars (asian market) Read this link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_A_engine

It highlights all the difference in the A-engines..

Extracts from above link:

5A-FE

Toyota joint venture partner Tianjin FAW Xiali now produces the 5A-FE (dubbed 5A+) for its Vela and Weizhi (C1) subcompact sedans.

Output for the 1987 FI version was 104 hp (78 kW) at 6000 rpm and 97 lb·ft (131 N·m) at 4800 rpm. The later one produced 100 hp (75 kW) at 5600 rpm and 102 lb·ft (138 N·m) at 4400 rpm. The version now produced by Xiali produces 100 hp (75 kW) at 6000 rpm and 96 lb·ft (130 N·m) at 4400 rpm.

4A-FE
  • Engine displacement: 1.6 L (1,587 cc)
  • Layout: DOHC Inline-4 (Straight-4)
  • Valves: 16, 4 for each cylinder
  • Power: 113 hp (84 kW; 115 PS) at 5,800 rpm
    (Europe spec: 110 PS (81 kW) at 6,000 rpm) (Asian spec: 115 PS (85 kW) at 6,000 rpm)
  • Torque: 101 lb·ft (145 N·m) at 4,800 rpm
  • Redline: 6300 rpm
  • Fuel Delivery System: MPFI

Your mechanic is wrong.

A large number of so called "mechanics" out there are pure maka baas fellows, specially at the so called "large garages". A few others would know to detect a problem but not be competent on how to fix it. It's only a very few who would be able to detect and fix a problem to perfection and it will be even few of them who are the professionals and would even know the technical facts and figures of engines. So much for our local "mechanics".

A large number of so called "mechanics" out there are pure maka baas fellows, specially at the so called "large garages". A few others would know to detect a problem but not be competent on how to fix it. It's only a very few who would be able to detect and fix a problem to perfection and it will be even few of them who are the professionals and would even know the technical facts and figures of engines. So much for our local "mechanics".

You're absolutely right. What's more disturbing is I have even encountered this situation at certain agents too... Thank god for the internet & google as we are now no longer at the mercy of solely what they tell us..