• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Anti Puncture Liquid And Wheel Balance.

Charith H Jayasinghe

Question

Please help me on so called anti puncture liquid used in tubeless tyres.

I recently shifted to alloy wheels. The tyre set is 6k done. They were used on balanced wheel. Last wheel alignment check 4k back. My brother has put green colour liquid to seal small punctures (I don't know the name)

Now I cannot balance some wheel. First one checked for balance was fixed after applying weights. For the rest, wheel balance machine keep asking weights therefore I had to give up the idea.

Now I'm nowhere. Shall I remove that liquid and check? Is it that bad? What else the possibility?

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

17 answers to this question

Hello,

I'm not expert in cars, but according to physics, achieving dynamic balance on wheels with dynamic geomatry (assuming your liquid is travelling inside wheel) ( hence mass) is physically impossible unless you connect controll system and sensors which measures dynamic imbalance of wheel in realtime according to wheel speed and adjust position of balancing weights at same time.

:)

Edited by abiman

I could completely balance 1 wheel and another one could left with 15g unbalanced weight after fixing 70g. Rest of two wheels giving trouble. Other thing is those people at JJ Lk should inform this at least at the time of doing.

Since the wheel is driven in a vertical position on the rig and it is accelerated slowly (?) the liquid should form an even layer inside provided the viscosity of the liquid is sufficiently low allowing free flow at a given rate of acceleration. Also the amount of the liquid should be just sufficient to form the layer not leaving any excess. Although I have seen this liquid I never felt a real reason to use it unless one happens to drive across rough terrain or places like construction sites regularly. For the rest of us if you get a puncture you have your spare wheel. For someone who is using is vehicle daily and experience a single puncture every year, the probability of getting a puncture on a particular day is 1/365 and that of getting another wheel punctured on the same day is like 1/(365x365) - very very remote possibility. It is open to debate but I do not understand the logic behind this liquid.

Edited by Rumesh88

For the acceleration, actually didn't see any difference from last time but it was done at separate places.

Rumesh, sadly most of the roads in my area and the area where I work are substandard. The reason to put those was one tyre went flat after parked the car for a week in June. (I regularly check pressure). My brother has taken it tyre shop and they couldn't find the puncture and then they've filled that.

Anyway I asked my brother to take it back. Remove and wash and fix it. I'll repeat wheel balance tomorrow. Lets see the results. My worrying is how did it happened to 2/4 tyres.

Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

Anyway I asked my brother to take it back. Remove and wash and fix it. I'll repeat wheel balance tomorrow. Lets see the results. My worrying is how did it happened to 2/4 tyres.

Check the amount of liquid in each. My guess is that ones with more liquid had the problem.

Since the wheel is driven in a vertical position on the rig and it is accelerated slowly (?) the liquid should form an even layer inside provided the viscosity of the liquid is sufficiently low allowing free flow at a given rate of acceleration. Also the amount of the liquid should be just sufficient to form the layer not leaving any excess. Although I have seen this liquid I never felt a real reason to use it unless one happens to drive across rough terrain or places like construction sites regularly. For the rest of us if you get a puncture you have your spare wheel. For someone who is using is vehicle daily and experience a single puncture every year, the probability of getting a puncture on a particular day is 1/365 and that of getting another wheel punctured on the same day is like 1/(365x365) - very very remote possibility. It is open to debate but I do not understand the logic behind this liquid.

Well, it's primarily a matter of convenience. If you travel on roads that have nails and debris of sorts you might want to try this out. It's simply easier to fill up the tyres with this and let it sit inside rather than have to perform a tyre change.

A couple of my riding friends use this (and I ordered a couple of bottled myself) as a puncture on a motorcycle while trailing can become a very serious problem.

Well, it's primarily a matter of convenience. If you travel on roads that have nails and debris of sorts you might want to try this out. It's simply easier to fill up the tyres with this and let it sit inside rather than have to perform a tyre change.

A couple of my riding friends use this (and I ordered a couple of bottled myself) as a puncture on a motorcycle while trailing can become a very serious problem.

Haven't they come across such issues? What is the correct them for that BTW?

See, I once had this issue until I realized that 3 of my rims themselves slightly bent/buckled. Had to take them to Macro to get it sorted. After that no issues. JJ while having a great collection is not very careful with the handling of the rims. I have seen them thrown, shoved, pushed and rolled around with no care taken. Yes, they are shiny and is presented well to catch the eyes... but there is more to a rim than how it looks.

Get them checked again and keep an eye to see how they spin. If you see a wobble and no amount of weights will help, then you may have a buckeled rim.

Edited by VVTi

Oh god, then it might be worst than I think. What is macro.? What did they do there. Ohhh :( can't come back colombo. Why they can't keep a wheel balance machine there? They've given a damn warranty, but don't know whether this is covered.

Macro Auto Tech is a place near Kohuwala which has the equipment to straighten up bent/buckled wheels. Sometimes the damage cannot be seen with the naked eye. If the balancing is not helping, swap the tyres and see, if it is still there, then that means one or more of your rims are bent and will need specialized help.

But nothing panic and get all dramatic though.

If there is a warranty, tell them that the rims are not what you wanted and get something else. But get them checked throughly.

Haven't they come across such issues? What is the correct them for that BTW?

Well So far none of them have reported any issues..

Do you know how much slime/liquid the tyre shop added? There's a recommended quantity based on the tyre. So if they added more than required I would think the excess would simply be moving around the tyre when rotating.

Well So far none of them have reported any issues..

Do you know how much slime/liquid the tyre shop added? There's a recommended quantity based on the tyre. So if they added more than required I would think the excess would simply be moving around the tyre when rotating.

It's 300-350ml (brother said). Can't think of excess as some went off while changing wheel. I saw some clotted particles but they were removed. Now my brother has removed rest and washed all tyres. He haven't seen wheel abnormalities but observed clotted particles again and no significant excess amount of liquid . I'll go for wheel balance tomorrow. Edited by Charith H Jayasinghe

Finally fixed it. Thanks everyone. Could managed it with much less weights. I think the reason is that liquid (or may be clots formed inside).

Thanks for sharing the result. The product Slime comes with a warning on the possibility of vibration and is recommended as a repair only in high speed(over 100kmph), over-the-road tires. http://www.slime.com/shop/tire-sealant/