• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mazda Demio Or Honda Fit(Not Hybrid)?

Carfreak

Question

Hi guys,

Im in the hunt for a car for round about 2.5 mil. I know by now that you cannot match fuel economy with driving pleasure, but I would really love if I could link the two together as much as possible.....

I've heard that the mazda demio and the honda fit qualify in that regard, but I cannot choose between one or the other. My current car is a honda EK3 and I love it to bits except for its fuel economy.......

It would be great if you guys could advice me on my new choices or even give me alternate choices...... :prankster:

• Like 1

I'd definitely go for the Honda Fit! Drive one daily & it's the most fun little hatchback I've driven in that price range. Does around 15kmpl on average(mind you this is 50% highway & 50% urban - Jaela to Horana). Worse done would be around 12-13kmpl in Colombo traffic & have done close to 18kmpl way back from Kandy.

Lately alternate with a corolla 121, which I guess does something little less but can't say for sure cause what I drove had a 1.6 engine. The Fit felt more nimble on its feet whereas the corolla was more of a steady ride good for cruising.

I don't think watch man was attempting humor, carfreak. He has a valid point. Is public transport/carpool out of the question? Depends on your needs really. Because I've had a civic which was pretty darned economical. And if you truly love the car like you say you're gonna hate the 121 with equal passion

hey Komi, No offence but this watchman guy is really funny. cos as far as I have noticed, for some technical issues that Auto lanka memebers had to discuss bugga has nothing to say. But if its some sort of opinion poll like this bugga has lot of amusing stuff to say. He surely got to be a watchman!!!!

• Like 4

Isn't it good to keep ones mouth shut when one has nothing to say? A good antithesis of that analogy is that chams fellow! Besides, watchman is my other hora kolla. The first being MD, with whom I have a very open love/hate s&m relationship. We hate each other but the make up/break up sex is stupendous.

hey Komi, No offence but this watchman guy is really funny. cos as far as I have noticed, for some technical issues that Auto lanka memebers had to discuss bugga has nothing to say. But if its some sort of opinion poll like this bugga has lot of amusing stuff to say. He surely got to be a watchman!!!!

What can I say, I try to be funny to keep myself awake. It gets pretty boring sitting in a security-booth all day watching a CCTV screen of a good-for-nothing warehouse that we aren't even allowed to know what's inside.

But in all honestly, I really DID mean what I suggested. Why is it so abstract to you? The OP's problem isn't that he needs to buy his first car or that his car is bad. It's money that goes into fuel consumption. THAT is the problem I have a solution to. And if he carpools with 2 other buddies he will save at least 50% of his petrol cost. A saving he wont get with either of the 2 cars he mentioned. We here at AL, don't look down on people who's income doesnt have a surplus to buy/maintain a car. We aren't as condescending as you to think that taking a bus or a motorcycle is beneath us. I myself can't afford a car, so I ride a motorcycle.

And excuse me for nor making each thread a history lesson, or repeating something that's already been said. Over the years our AL community has become pretty rich in knowledge to a level where everyone does NOT need to contribute to every single thread.

Edited by Watchman

hi watchman, I dont want to steal this fellows thread to exchange some fruitful thoughts with you. But this time you sound bit serious so i can't help replying back. and ofcourse I am jobless today so just staring at the screen with autolanka open.

My opinion is that for some guys, his car is his passion. there are some female counterparts as well. for some its just a mean of transportation. to get yourself from one place to another. just like a bus a trishaw or a motor bike. there is no passion no setiment and all they will see is steel on four wheels.

So for the latter I think its the cost of fuel that matters the most but for the former there are millions of things that matters. its like a having committed relationship with your car.

Considering the sri lankan economy and the income level of people we can't expect an in between group that will compromise a 50-50 situation.

So just tell the bugga whether its a Demio or a Fit!!! :sport-smiley-003:

• Like 1

hi watchman, I dont want to steal this fellows thread to exchange some fruitful thoughts with you. But this time you sound bit serious so i can't help replying back. and ofcourse I am jobless today so just staring at the screen with autolanka open.

My opinion is that for some guys, his car is his passion. there are some female counterparts as well. for some its just a mean of transportation. to get yourself from one place to another. just like a bus a trishaw or a motor bike. there is no passion no setiment and all they will see is steel on four wheels.

tell the bugga whether its a Demio or a Fit!!! :sport-smiley-003:

Dude, did you get hit in the head or something? you're now arguing to support MY point. He does love his civic, and I have him a solution where he got to keep his civic, not sell it off for a boring hatchback.

Edited by Watchman

10-12 in the city seems more than enough mine runs exactly 7 in the city. So what if bugga needs air conditioning and he doesnt have anyone to share his ride? whats the option Watchman :violent-smiley-100:?

No-one asked you about your car, right? and I hope you realize that "enough" is a relative term.

If you want to knit-pick on things as trivial and stupid as air-con and having no friends, why don't you befriend him and drive him to work. Else just drop it and get lost from this thread. You're adding less value here than my lame jokes.

Edited by Watchman

thanks waka! is it possible to give me some figures on the fuel consumption of the honda fit? i am also considering a corolla 121 since i heard it does really well on fuel.....is it in the fuel economy range as the honda fit?

heavily overpriced Corolla 121 is bit old and ugly.One of my friends has a Honda Fit GD1 iDSI and he said it does around 12 in the city and 19+ on the long run. I also drove that car. Handling is excellent, but the pickup is not that good, I think iVTEC version has a better pickup

Edited by waka

thanks guys for the valuable info.....!!! really appreciate it. guess u also have to tolerate others coming on AL just to get some attention, but its all good......

BTW komi, its impressive u getting that much fuel economy on ur auto tranny....mine being a manual i get like 8-9 n i dont hv a heavy right foot either.....

NeroX, is the fit u drive an iVTEC or an iDSI??? and also is it a CVT box? coz i heard they r hard to maintain.......

thanks guys for the valuable info.....!!! really appreciate it. guess u also have to tolerate others coming on AL just to get some attention, but its all good......

BTW komi, its impressive u getting that much fuel economy on ur auto tranny....mine being a manual i get like 8-9 n i dont hv a heavy right foot either.....

NeroX, is the fit u drive an iVTEC or an iDSI??? and also is it a CVT box? coz i heard they r hard to maintain.......

Most likely because I completely overhauled the gearbox and maintained the car to a T. But these aren't exaggerations. I bothered to keep records

Hey carfreak!

Mine's a GE6. I think all JDM GE6's came with the 1.3l iVTEC engine, with the exception of the Fit RS(GE8) which came with a 1.5l iVTEC. All these versions were equipped with the CVT gearbox. From what I've heard the previous gen GD1's had the issue with the gearbox. Most of which was ironed out in the GE6. The earlier one had to have the CVT oil replaced every 10k to avoid the issue whereas on the GE6 every 40k would do. Check out this page. This guy seems to have a lot better experience with the issue (http://rayazmuthalif.wordpress.com/2008/07/08/how-to-avoid-cvt-gearbox-failures-in-honda-city-fit-jazz-a-sri-lankan-perspective/)

I've replaced mine just to be safe when I bought the car. It cost me arnd Rs.8k for 4 litres back in Feb '12 at Stafford Motors. Have clocked nearly 25k & still no issue as such. Haven't come across any other GE6 owner with issues either. So I guess its safe to assume its not a critical case if well maintained.

Edited by NeroX

its a CVT multimatic box right? Is the CVT as hard to maintain as ppl say it is? Also did honda use the same CVT boxes in the newer models( say for instance the honda fit)? is there anyway of checking if a CVT box is knocked out?
its a CVT multimatic box right? Is the CVT as hard to maintain as ppl say it is? Also did honda use the same CVT boxes in the newer models( say for instance the honda fit)? is there anyway of checking if a CVT box is knocked out?

Yeah run a search on the forum we'v discussed this ad nauseam. Just to recap,

1. Not difficult at all to maintain. You just have to change oil at 15,000km intervals and use only Honda cvtf. Change manually without an oil changing machine.

2. If it "jerks" on a cold start when put to D, you've got issues. Or to reverse. If the gear doesn't engage untl about 2000rpm, and then snaps in and breaks your neck in the process, you sir, have a problem. It could be as simple as blocked filters, or if you ignore it at this level, can go on to damage your internals. In my case, I bought the car with this issue, and my mechanic completely overhauled the box, replacing even the torque transfer cones, and it was singing when I got it back. As demonstrated by the fuel figures.

• Like 1

I had a Fit GE6 non hybrid version with iVTEC and it was a CVT gear box and now i drive a Mazda Demio. I think with iVTEC, the idling fuel consumption is so low and that's why they are very economical in urbs. And the CVT gear box gives a lovely continuous steep acceleration without having to change gears and it's a thriller. Handling is superb and the responses are just perfect. I have once reached 180km/h along highway and the car was quite steady. And my best economical ride was 21.4 km/l in the average speed range of about 80 to 100 again along highway.

The CVT gear box is quite smooth but it demands attention. The bad point is you get to change transmission oil in every 15000km's time. And when it reaches the limit you tend to feel the lag in the gear box and the drive is not so smooth. Its quite advisable to maintain the GB timely since the metal belt is said to be very sensitive. The oil change costs about 9000 at agents.

The car is quite spacious but the front row leg space is a little restricted.

And Demio im driving now is better than Fit at acceleration and cornering, but my overall feeling is that the Fit is way superior to Demio.