• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Grass Trimmer Engine Trouble

Buddhika M H

Question

I hope some one can help with this engine problem.

i used a grass trimmer for a long time. it's very old.

its a japanese made with a 22.5cc engine 2 stroke one cylinder (petrol + 2T oil) carburator model .

it worked fine. but after some months i tried to start it last week. it was very hard to start and after few minutes it stopped.

it happened few times.

It stoped everytime when i open the throttle (accelarate/raise the engine.) or when i open the extra hole for air intake(some kind of choke i think)

i tried to make the mixture more rich by carb screws, but no effect.

cleaned the spark plug no effect

then yesterday i tried to start. but it didnt even start.

I would love to take it to a mechanic but i cant get it to the car. its too long. screws that removes the pole (trimmer) is jammed.

so please help if any one can

1. why this happens?

2. in past when i open the extra air intake(/choke) it rotated more faster but now it stops. In what position (open/close) - choke) should I try to start it?

thanks.

12 answers to this question

I cant beleive that there is a thread for Grass Trimmer's engine problems....

Dude! If u don't have anything useful to add to the thread, don't just comment for the sake of it! Thats post whoring of the worst kind.

well, cant any1 help ??

i think anyone who is into motobike mechanics could help ?? isnt it?

ever think of the posiblilty that the shaft that goes to the blade may be getting jammed and therefore the engine seizes... you said the screws were jammed and i'm guessing its kinda old, so maybe rust forming around the shaft?

best way to check is, can you turn th blade/shaft by hand?

ever think of the posiblilty that the shaft that goes to the blade may be getting jammed and therefore the engine seizes... you said the screws were jammed and i'm guessing its kinda old, so maybe rust forming around the shaft?

best way to check is, can you turn th blade/shaft by hand?

Bro, are u kidding? man you guys are wicked :)

dude.. i'm not talking of doing it when the motor is on.... point of this is 2 make sure the shaft isnt simply jammed!!! common sense man! :D

hay dilly nice to see you around again. just forget it man we all know the extent of his common sense

sorry for late repling.

" .....can you turn th blade/shaft by hand? ..... "

but i have tried that.

anyway it couldnt be the problem because when it got start it cut grass just as old days, only it stopped when i tried to accelerate the engine to rotate the blade faster.

btw, in what position of choke should i try to start with?? (open / close)

- because before it start in either position and spinned faster when i open the choke-

thanks for any help

sorry for late repling.

" .....can you turn th blade/shaft by hand? ..... "

but i have tried that.

anyway it couldnt be the problem because when it got start it cut grass just as old days, only it stopped when i tried to accelerate the engine to rotate the blade faster.

btw, in what position of choke should i try to start with?? (open / close)

- because before it start in either position and spinned faster when i open the choke-

thanks for any help

Choke open to start, then closed once the motor gets going.

You should only need the choke to get the motor cranked and should be looking to shut if off in half a minute or so (unless of course: you're loaded, don't give a rat's ass about the environment, want to donate liberally to the CPC as they are having trouble making ends meet, you like taking your mower frequently to the local bike bike shop or a combination of the above).

If your mower is shutting off when you open the throttle up, the mixture's too rich. Essentially what you're doing when you crank open the handle throttle then, is flooding the engine.

To make your fuel mixture leaner. Start your mower up, let it warm up and tighten the adjustment screws on the carb until your mower is just shy of stalling. That should be roughly where you'd want it.

You could sit around and tinker with the carb all day, but really the simplest solution would be to just focus on getting the handles off ( WD40 the sh*t out of it :D ) and drive the mower off to the local bike shop.

hay dilly nice to see you around again. just forget it man we all know the extent of his common sense

Yeahh.. its nice to be back!!!! lot seems to have hapened the past couple of weeks :lol:

You could sit around and tinker with the carb all day, but really the simplest solution would be to just focus on getting the handles off ( WD40 the sh*t out of it :D ) and drive the mower off to the local bike shop.

you know.. i think This is probably the best thing to do.. bike shop certainly will be more equipped to handle the issue faster... or keep some cloth/carpet and tie the thing to the hood of your car and take it if there's a bike shop within a few km...

Maybe some dumb questions, but if it was sitting around for a long time with fuel in it ... have you drained and refilled the tank with new fuel/2T? Have you checked the air filter to see if it's clogged with dirt/oil/water? I've started a few small lawn mower engines ... from 'locked up in the garage for years' to 'left outside in the rain/snow for months' to tipped over and leaked everywhere.

My usual checklist-

-Take spark plug out and drain the fuel and check the oil level.

-Pull on cord a couple times to rotate engine, lubricate bearings and get any old fuel/fumes out.

-Check filter

-Refuel/oil and install new spark plug (or cleaned/gapped)

-Prime the engine (some engines have a button) one less time than recommended (usually 3, so I do two ... 'cos 3 usually floods it again)

-PULL !!! VROOM !!!

Hopefully, you didn't mess up the carb settings (idle/fuel) when you turned the screws, that's gonna be an issue now.