• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mirage Ck2 Timing Belt 60,000kms Or 100,000kms

MRM

hi guys

one of my colligues have a mirage CK 2 GJ plates VIE extra 1,500cc

the car has done 176,000kms & we have replaced the timing belt at 95,00kms from the company

few guys have told him only the original can run 100,000kms & after that it should be changed in 60,00kms & by now he should be running the 3rd timing belt

when we Checked with agents , they said we can run 100,00kms with out any problem

really appriciate your coments on the above

thanks in advance

Hi MRM,

I own a Mirage myself slightly older version and arround the same kind of milleage, and I recently did a timing belt change myself. I think the main issue is when was the timing belt replaced before and was it a genuine mitsubishi. If it was done by the agents I asume it is,

I think the interval for changing timing belts in general is arround 50-60 000 Miles not kilometers thus you should fully expect a good quality one to last 100K KM. But I had to replace my belt prematurely because there were some marks of wear on it and I changed it as a precaution.

I think it is wise for somebody to inspect the belt for wear and tear, to ensure its in good condition at 60K KM because a timing belt faliure will cost much more than a belt change. An inspection should be a part of any good service me thinks, and provided its in good condition you could rest in peace it would give you many more miles to come :D

Regards,

The Don

Hi MRM,

I own a Mirage myself slightly older version and arround the same kind of milleage, and I recently did a timing belt change myself. I think the main issue is when was the timing belt replaced before and was it a genuine mitsubishi. If it was done by the agents I asume it is,

I think the interval for changing timing belts in general is arround 50-60 000 Miles not kilometers thus you should fully expect a good quality one to last 100K KM. But I had to replace my belt prematurely because there were some marks of wear on it and I changed it as a precaution.

I think it is wise for somebody to inspect the belt for wear and tear, to ensure its in good condition at 60K KM because a timing belt faliure will cost much more than a belt change. An inspection should be a part of any good service me thinks, and provided its in good condition you could rest in peace it would give you many more miles to come :D

Regards,

The Don

hi don

thanks for your quick reply

yes it was a genuine timing belt from agents & it was reaplced at 95,000kms.

the reason why we got worried is bec a very reputed mechanic only told about this issue & he has had some experience in broken timing belts milage less than 90,000kms

but as i explained when i spoke to agents , they were so confident it will not brake & it will run more than 100,000kms ,

as you mentioned the best way is o remove it & see the condition & take the decision. better remove it since it is close to 80,000kms

thanks any way for the info.

cheers

Hi MRM,

There is a small problem as I heard in some Mitsubishi DOHC engines, I do not remember the particular engine model, but it features the cyclone EFI system (mine has EFI Multi), and I personally know of a car which needed to have 2 engine replacements within the course of 2 months as the timing belt snapping, the first one was worn and the second one was in the engine replaced, and the owner wanting to sell the car cheap and fast didnt check or replace it. My mech told me in that particular engine the load on the belt was more and that caused the belt snappings. In my car, the timing belt has no such problems, but there is something else stupid that Mitsubishi has done, where as the power steering pump the AC Compressor, are both on the same belt! and once this belt snapped and I lost power steering as well as air conditioning at the same time, wasnt very pleasant parking and then driving home like that,

So better to be safe and sorry, and MRM, you dont need to remove the belt to check, a superficial check might be enough for the moment, just take the timing belt cover off, press the belt to see if it has lost its tention, and then using the start motor turn the engine a bit so you can take a good look arround the belt, look for any loose canvas from the belt hanging out, thats the first sign of wear, if there is then its better if you replace the belt.

Regards,

The Don

but there is something else stupid that Mitsubishi has done, where as the power steering pump the AC Compressor, are both on the same belt! and once this belt snapped and I lost power steering as well as air conditioning at the same time, wasnt very pleasant parking and then driving home like that,

hi don

it's not just mitsu...nissan does it on numerous cars too...:D

Hi MRM,

There is a small problem as I heard in some Mitsubishi DOHC engines, I do not remember the particular engine model, but it features the cyclone EFI system (mine has EFI Multi), and I personally know of a car which needed to have 2 engine replacements within the course of 2 months as the timing belt snapping, the first one was worn and the second one was in the engine replaced, and the owner wanting to sell the car cheap and fast didnt check or replace it. My mech told me in that particular engine the load on the belt was more and that caused the belt snappings. In my car, the timing belt has no such problems, but there is something else stupid that Mitsubishi has done, where as the power steering pump the AC Compressor, are both on the same belt! and once this belt snapped and I lost power steering as well as air conditioning at the same time, wasnt very pleasant parking and then driving home like that,

So better to be safe and sorry, and MRM, you dont need to remove the belt to check, a superficial check might be enough for the moment, just take the timing belt cover off, press the belt to see if it has lost its tention, and then using the start motor turn the engine a bit so you can take a good look arround the belt, look for any loose canvas from the belt hanging out, thats the first sign of wear, if there is then its better if you replace the belt.

Regards,

The Don

thanks don for the info

i will get my friend to check on this & do the need full

thanks again