• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Most Extreme F1 Rides Ever!

Elvis_Pil

Just thought I'd start a thread on F1 innovation- there've been the some strange rides over the years including the recent Williams-BMW misadventure in the fw26 :lol:

bmw_williams26_cis_375x255.jpg

Can anyone remember this one? Its a wallpaper for the buffs!

Not many of us were even born when this thing was on the track -1977 Tyrell

1976.jpg

Not many of us were even born when this thing was on the track -1977 Tyrell <---- :lol::lol:

OT: Now I know where my dad got the idea, when naming his first born in 1979 ....

Edit: Found this on the wiki. The name is spelt with an extra 'r'.

Just case your in the market to buy a 'vintage' f1 car, check:

http://www.paragonracingltd.com/formula1.html

OT: Now I know where my dad got the idea, when naming his first born in 1979 ....

Edit: Found this on the wiki. The name is spelt with an extra 'r'.

I checked the link- intresting to note whythe six wheel design was scrapped:

"Despite this, the team remained a force throughout the 1970s, winning races with Jody Scheckter and Patrick Depailler. Most notable of these was Scheckter's triumph at the 1976 Swedish Grand Prix, giving Tyrrell a 1-2 finish driving the distinctive Derek Gardner designed Tyrrell P34 car. The P34 was the first successful six-wheeler F1 car, which replaced the conventional front wheels with smaller wheels mounted in banks of two on either side of the car. The design was abandoned after Goodyear refused to develop the small tires needed for the car as they were too busy fighting the other tire manufacturers in Formula One"

I checked the link- intresting to note whythe six wheel design was scrapped:

"Despite this, the team remained a force throughout the 1970s, winning races with Jody Scheckter and Patrick Depailler. Most notable of these was Scheckter's triumph at the 1976 Swedish Grand Prix, giving Tyrrell a 1-2 finish driving the distinctive Derek Gardner designed Tyrrell P34 car. The P34 was the first successful six-wheeler F1 car, which replaced the conventional front wheels with smaller wheels mounted in banks of two on either side of the car. The design was abandoned after Goodyear refused to develop the small tires needed for the car as they were too busy fighting the other tire manufacturers in Formula One"

Well, u have to consider it probably would have died a natural death anyway. A good pit stop today is what? 6-7 seconds? essential part of strategy. What sorta delay would changing two extra wheels entail?

On the topic of pit stops- I hate 'em- the FIA should try and slow 'em down or reduce the effect they have on a race as all the teams prefer to overtake in the pits & stategy rather than on the track!

All the FIA think of is ways and means to reduce speed! this is racing for petes sake!

anyway expect some crazy aerodynamics in the future with the engine freeze rule.. which brings me back to the topic lol

On the topic of pit stops- I hate 'em- the FIA should try and slow 'em down or reduce the effect they have on a race as all the teams prefer to overtake in the pits & stategy rather than on the track!

All the FIA think of is ways and means to reduce speed! this is racing for petes sake!

anyway expect some crazy aerodynamics in the future with the engine freeze rule.. which brings me back to the topic lol

I think pit stops are quite interesting actually, cause the car gets slowed down by the weight of the extra fuel but the grip in the new set of tyres can off set that. And team strategies can have a massive effect on the race.

About the engine freeze rule. I was against it at the start but Max Mosely's saying that he wants the teams to but the extra funding in to a sort of a Hybrid system which can gain back the energy loses in braking. Which will eventually speed up the development of hybrid systems in road cars as well. And since Toyota is well ahead of the hybrid race, they can kick ass if it comes into F1. :jumping-smiley-013:

I think hybrid is the way forward. Its like having a turbo (with the extra torque from the electric motor) but with a massive increase in the fuel economy as well.

I think pit stops are quite interesting actually, cause the car gets slowed down by the weight of the extra fuel but the grip in the new set of tyres can off set that. And team strategies can have a massive effect on the race.

About the engine freeze rule. I was against it at the start but Max Mosely's saying that he wants the teams to but the extra funding in to a sort of a Hybrid system which can gain back the energy loses in braking. Which will eventually speed up the development of hybrid systems in road cars as well. And since Toyota is well ahead of the hybrid race, they can kick ass if it comes into F1. ;)

I think hybrid is the way forward. Its like having a turbo (with the extra torque from the electric motor) but with a massive increase in the fuel economy as well.

True on the hybrids could be the next big thing in F1- A shift in power would be good for F1 and a Williams-Toyota maybe the one for the job! :D

Other news:

Seems the F1 has decided to ban the vertical fins on the the beemers due to safety reasons, as they may hamper the Driver's vision.

Also Renault maybe forced into a gamble with the 'mass damper' system that apparently smooths out tyre bouncing on heavy loads. The issue has still not been completely resolved as yet by the FIA and Renault may risk losing points already earned in the previous races if a ban is enforced.. Of course these are desperate times for the team :D with MS closing in on 'em and with Alonso clearly becoming slower after the mid season. Pic:

384352gifqr1.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hey thanks Tuks!

Loved that clip! Did some reading on that race after watching it. Apparently it was the first ever victory in F1 for Renault and also the first ever win for a turbo charged car!

And also Villeneuve's Ferrari was struggling with a handling problem and Arnoux's car had a bit of an engine miss.

Imagine a dog fight like that in modern F1! ha ha one of the two would have got banned for sure with the way the regulations are today.

News is that Renaults's mass damper system is now officially illegal- verdict passed by the FIA appeals court

You're going to love this clip Pilawoos: '79 French GP. Villeneuve and Arnoux battling for second

Thats one of my favourite F1 clips ever, alongside Alex Wurz and Michael at Monaco in 1998. I actually have this on tape with Murray Walker's commentary, which adds another great dimension to it. The race turned out to be pretty historic because it was the F1 first win for a Turbo car, first win for Renault in the modern era and also Jean-Pierre Jabouille's first (and only, I think) win. "Just a couple of young lions battling it out" was what Mario Andretti had to say after that race. This is why Gilles is my favourite driver ever and to date, the most beloved Ferrari driver of all time.

Hey thanks Tuks!

Loved that clip! Did some reading on that race after watching it. Apparently it was the first ever victory in F1 for Renault and also the first ever win for a turbo charged car!

And also Villeneuve's Ferrari was struggling with a handling problem and Arnoux's car had a bit of an engine miss.

Imagine a dog fight like that in modern F1! ha ha one of the two would have got banned for sure with the way the regulations are today.

News is that Renaults's mass damper system is now officially illegal- verdict passed by the FIA appeals court

:D Yeah darn good dog fight that! They even bump front wheels on one of the corners while muscling each other away from the inside line.

And its all done in great style; agressive and competitive though it might be, its all in keeping within the confines of the sport. Plus the way they keep fighting all the way up to the checkered flag is just wicked!

Didn't know the histroy on it though, I'll have to read up on it for sure. (Got any good links you can recommend?)

Edited by tuk tuk