• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

:: Air Filters Role ::

dragster

Question

• Answers 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Good question..

Need to know the effect from K&N filters as well. Ashan's RS has a huge black box (the filters) which it says guranteed for million miles.

Just want to know if these are realy effective and the market price

I'm not really an expert but here what I know. The airfilter (obviously) filters the air that's fed into the combustion chamber. So the older the filter the more muck it will have and will not let in enough air for the engine to breathe well.

So your throttle response will be lesser and there will be a power drop as combution won't be optimum.

Superior filters such as K&Ns and Pipercross are designed to filter in more and cleaner air and so combustion is better and cleaner. Result more power, more throttle response. These would certainly be more expensive but it's worth it if you want more power and response.

If you drive without the filter (which I've done :D ) throttle response becomes instant but you risk damaging your engine if sand or other muck gets in. And our air must be full of muck for sure.

Old topic macho!

Cone filter= reduces air turbulence increases and smooths out the airflow that goes through the intake. Smooth & less resistant airflow means the engine has to work less to draw in air=better economy.

Cone filters also cool down the air. Colder Air=more dense with O2.

More O2= better combustion & ignition which leads to more performance on wide open throttle and better economy on narrow open throttle

Old topic macho!

Cone filter= reduces air turbulence increases and smooths out the airflow that goes through the intake. Smooth & less resistant airflow means the engine has to work less to draw in air=better economy.

Cone filters also cool down the air. Colder Air=more dense with O2.

More O2= better combustion & ignition which leads to more performance on wide open throttle and better economy on narrow open throttle

dat sounds tempting where can i get cone filters fixed, are there good brands(good value for money buys wit good quality i mean)

dat sounds tempting where can i get cone filters fixed, are there good brands(good value for money buys wit good quality i mean)

i think the best filter is Apexi cone filter n u can buy it from Nigel, n the Apexi Filer is different from other cone filter

Cold_Air_Intake.jpg

apexi%20www%20filter.jpgApexi-507-Z001-2.jpg

i think the best filter is Apexi cone filter n u can buy it from Nigel, n the Apexi Filer is different from other cone filter

Any ideas about the price for one of those ? I've been toying with the idea of putting one in my car. The K&N ones go for around 5,000 last time i checked

Any ideas about the price for one of those ? I've been toying with the idea of putting one in my car. The K&N ones go for around 5,000 last time i checked

i think the Apexi filter cost around 9 to 10k range bt nt sure anyway u can ask Nige or Chang

Performance air filters has always been a starting point for those who want to take the first step into car tuning. This is because performance air filters are easy to apply and are not so expensive as the other performance tuning components.

I believe the first reason that make all of us purchase a performance air filter is the sporty sound that we all like, but generally there is a belief that performance filters will give you lots of horse power, like a minimum of 5 hp, maybe more, even on a normally aspirated engine.

Now, if I say that performance air filters generate nothing except a sport sound, would you believe it? Your answer would normally be "No !"... Yes, performance air filters do increase horse power but only under certain conditions.. Please continue reading the article..

The Theory

The theory here is, as you let more air to the combustion chambers to mix with the fuel, you get more power, but the first point is that under which conditions does the air flow and do performance air filters really provide more air as it has been told?

Aerodynamics, or let's call it air flow here, is so complicated so you can never be sure that the replacement of your conventional air filter with an open element filter (like K&N, Kingdragon or Green) will provide more air flow to the intake system

Continued: http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/air-filters.html

You're not going to gain anything much from installing a cone filter in place of your stock air box. At times, you could even lose some HP 'cos now you're pulling in hot air from the engine compartment.

The only way to surely gain some HP is to get a cold air kit, which actually gets colder denser air from outside the engine compartment (usually in the fenderwell, in front of the wheel) by the use of additional tubing. Most cars aren't able to accept a proper cold air kit 'cos either the frame/sheetmetal may come in the way when the stock air box is removed ... a good shop could custom fabricate a cold air kit with a bit of careful cutting and tubing. I did such a kit to a '04 Pontiac GTO that had issues with high intake air temps., and although we tested it out in the winter, the IAT's dropped by like 25 degrees from just that.

I believe the cone shape is merely to get more surface area. You can get many different shapes depending on your application. Cones are popular 'cos 1. it looks cool and 2. It's the easiest to clamp on in tight spaces and 'still look cool'.

I ve installed a K&N airfilter cone type n i ve got some performance increment n really happy bout it... acceleration n response improved dramatically even though da component is kinda costlier..

@ hola - installin under ya hood aint a big prob.. when i went over 2 M****cade 2 get ma stuf dere were 2 typez o cone filterz by K&N.. 1 wuz kinda big and had no metallic cover on da top o it and da other wuz kinda smal n had a metallic cover.. i ve opted 4 da smaller 1 as derez some protection again da heat.. it wrx really really great.. though ya ve gotta get a small Coldair intake pipe built (buildin is cheaper!) 2 suit da space under ya bonnet once da stock 1 is removed...

total costz 4 me includin gettin da pipe done wuz like bout 10500 - 11000 cuz da airfilter wuz 9000 odd....

itz impt 2 position da airfilter @ da point where loadza air comez in2 da bonnet so as 2 get da most in2 da engine.. i ve heard o issuez though where moisture getz in2 it so ya ve gotta come up wit either a cover 4 it or else keep it in a water free area....

2 top it al.. it givez ya a smooth beat n good power incrementz.. bout da fuel consumption.. i dnt think dere is gonna b any increase in fuel consumption cuz from wut i knw.. da efi electronicz r responsible 4 dat.. n unles ya mod da ecu dere most prob wnt b any increase...

da apexi 1 lookz cool... but K&N got a darn good repo behind dere productz...

Zz

I ve installed a K&N airfilter cone type n i ve got some performance increment n really happy bout it... acceleration n response improved dramatically even though da component is kinda costlier..

@ hola - installin under ya hood aint a big prob.. when i went over 2 M****cade 2 get ma stuf dere were 2 typez o cone filterz by K&N.. 1 wuz kinda big and had no metallic cover on da top o it and da other wuz kinda smal n had a metallic cover.. i ve opted 4 da smaller 1 as derez some protection again da heat.. it wrx really really great.. though ya ve gotta get a small Coldair intake pipe built (buildin is cheaper!) 2 suit da space under ya bonnet once da stock 1 is removed...

total costz 4 me includin gettin da pipe done wuz like bout 10500 - 11000 cuz da airfilter wuz 9000 odd....

itz impt 2 position da airfilter @ da point where loadza air comez in2 da bonnet so as 2 get da most in2 da engine.. i ve heard o issuez though where moisture getz in2 it so ya ve gotta come up wit either a cover 4 it or else keep it in a water free area....

2 top it al.. it givez ya a smooth beat n good power incrementz.. bout da fuel consumption.. i dnt think dere is gonna b any increase in fuel consumption cuz from wut i knw.. da efi electronicz r responsible 4 dat.. n unles ya mod da ecu dere most prob wnt b any increase...

da apexi 1 lookz cool... but K&N got a darn good repo behind dere productz...

Zz

wow! that hurt my head trying to figure out what you said. Finaly got it, good info though :alc:

"i ve opted 4 da smaller 1 as derez some protection again da heat.. it wrx really really great.."

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

hehe.. laugh all you want bro.. atleast am assisting in improving the quality of life in a way know? lolz..

Zz

"i ve opted 4 da smaller 1 as derez some protection again da heat.. it wrx really really great.."

:D:P;):P

I am in complete agreement with Nexgen, good going and good advice, the metal top on the smaller K&N is a heat shield. ;) Also it seems to me he has made every attempt to direct the plumbing to as close to the fender as possible and inline with where the stock box was removed. Cold air kits can easily be fabricated at most local muffler shops just make sure the piping is designed correctly to take full advantage of the venturi effect. Only wish there was more larger diameter aluminum piping to be found locally and a mandrel bender then you can get really good custom intake and intercooler jobs done taking advantage of the lighter aluminum and better heat dissipation capabilities especially from the T6061 grade. Otherwise best bet is to get it done in SS and then have the puppy heat tape wrapped.

I did this wrapping on my exhaust maniflod and I can touch it even after the engine has been run hard ;)

Cheers, Porky

hey porkster! from where could ya get the puppy heat tape thingy eh? I am searching for something like a foil so that I could effectively divide the area of the filter from the engine/radiator heart. I have placed the air filter close to the pipe which brings in the air from outside. That same pip which used to supply air to the stock airfilter that is.. Had to get a 3 inch to 2 inch pipe done to fit the intake of the engine.

If you need some aircraft grade aluminium for piping I guess I could ask my pal as to whether he could get some down. He had got down some pipes to turbo his engine.

Zz

the ones over at m*t*rcade are original bro.. just dont go for the hurricane brand which is like about 4000 bucks.. and when installing it make sure that you direct the cone towards the air inlet else you might end up losing some horsepower rather than gaining.. but most probably anyways.. you will gain some hp.. ;-)

Zz

hey porkster! from where could ya get the puppy heat tape thingy eh? I am searching for something like a foil so that I could effectively divide the area of the filter from the engine/radiator heart. I have placed the air filter close to the pipe which brings in the air from outside. That same pip which used to supply air to the stock airfilter that is.. Had to get a 3 inch to 2 inch pipe done to fit the intake of the engine.

If you need some aircraft grade aluminium for piping I guess I could ask my pal as to whether he could get some down. He had got down some pipes to turbo his engine.

Zz

Well since you have only a minute amount of SS attaching to you stock intake piping you don't have much to worry about. But you can get the heat wrap at the same place you got the K&N, Hurricane brand, usually crap but in this application is fine and tons better than McFoil. Also to bring down your overall engine bay temp you can use the remainder of the heat tape to wrap your exhaust manifold, to do this you'll first have to remove your heat shield wrap the manifold and replace the heatshiled if possible but not needed really with the wrapping.

Er....I am that friend who gets the aluminum pipes heheheheh :unsure: turbo??? Shhhhhh

Keep up the good word, spread it well all go no show....the force is strong in the one :huh:

Porky

the ones over at m*t*rcade are original bro.. just dont go for the hurricane brand which is like about 4000 bucks.. and when installing it make sure that you direct the cone towards the air inlet else you might end up losing some horsepower rather than gaining.. but most probably anyways.. you will gain some hp.. ;-)

Zz

So if i go buy the K&N filter, cant i fix it myself?