• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Which Coolant should I use?

nadskit

Question

Hi people...

Can anyone pls advise me on how 2 use a coolent for the car?

Thanks in advance

You pour the liquid into ur coolant container, next to the windshield wiper container, in most cars. I think theres a percentage that u pour in rather than the entire bottle! lol..

You pour the liquid into ur coolant container, next to the windshield wiper container, in most cars. I think theres a percentage that u pour in rather than the entire bottle! lol..

So what is the percentage and that means to mix it wz water is it? but someone told me aint good to mix wz water :mellow:

So what is the percentage and that means to mix it wz water is it? but someone told me aint good to mix wz water :mellow:

Somesay water causes the radiator to rust.. should leave it to the experts, without trying to be a smartass! :D

The C**tex coolant advertisement on the radio says, use it 50/50 with water. I’m using BP coolant for my cars from the beginning and fill the radiator. At Pitstop they suck all the water remaining in the radiator and tubes totally and do the filling.

You don’t have to fill it regularly. Once filled it stays a long long time. May be a bottle after 6 months.

z coolant a worthwhile expenditure, say for a fairly new car that you do not wish to keep for more than 3-4 years!

There's no point if your radiator is already rusted. If you swap a new radiator or if the car is new.... surely it’s a worth investment.

:mellow:

Do we have to change the coolent from a period of time? anyone knows about that?

if u have noticed after sometime da coolant changes colour im sure dat is da time to change it

i have also been using 100% water still no issue..but i think coolant makes da radiator last long

OK motor heads, Here's why u use coolant: Under regular pressure (sea level) water is liquid from 0C-100C (remember O/L science?).

When you mix (alcohol, salt etc.) with water, you can change the temp range where it remains a liquid remember A/L chem?). ie. You can raise the boiling point of the liquid (which is really good at hot temps in SL) and lower the temp at which it freezes.

There are many variations of coolant/antifreeze depending on the temperature the engine is running in. While the cooling factor is important in places like the middle east the anti freeze is the big issue in N America and Canada.

While rust prevention is just a slight side effect of using engine coolant the real reason is to keep the liquid from turing into steam. And usually its mixed with water at 50/50 ratio unless specified by manufacturer or comes pre-mixed.

Coolant system needs to be flushed as recomended by car mfg (usually 30K miles), going by the color is not a good indicator cos the coloring is added on for indication and enviromental reasons.

just FYI; don't swallow coolant :mellow: - it often contains Methyl (or Ethyl) alc - remember the same kinda stuff that makes ppl go blind when kasippu is distilled improperly. There are restrictions on disposing coolant in most countries, not sure what to do in SL - IMHO pour it onto hot concrete or road so its evaporated.

There is not really a percentage to mix with the water, if you can afford you can fill with 100% coolant. I am using 100% Caltex coolant in my FB15. I have always been filling with 100% coolant in my other cars in the UK. Also flush it out and refill in every 20,000 kms. There is no harm when you use 100% coolant as I had been advised by the dealers in the UK.

no big issues on coolents mates.. simply it stops the rust on radiator core n also stops boiling n over heating in high temp engine runs..there are different kind of coolents.some products specificaly says dont dilute with water..(like ABRO)..also some coolents (eg ZEREX ) can dilute with water on percentages like 30%-70%, 40%-60% and even 70%-30% depending on heat levels on yo performace..every coolent can cotains all the details of its use,instructions on wethere to mix with water or not..ext..so i recon.. if u go for reputed brands its good for your radiator n cooling system..well changing of coolents also very from product 2 product.. :jumping-smiley-013:

There is not really a percentage to mix with the water, if you can afford you can fill with 100% coolant. I am using 100% Caltex coolant in my FB15. I have always been filling with 100% coolant in my other cars in the UK. Also flush it out and refill in every 20,000 kms. There is no harm when you use 100% coolant as I had been advised by the dealers in the UK.

Yeah always I too always stick to the 100% mix.. Used to use BP or Zerex switched to Calt*x after changing my tubes at the agents.. settled down no with Es*o- it's blue and expensive :D

Fuzzo I'd go with a bit for Coolent in your one.. we have several of the company mazda's giving radiator issues..

Oh by the way along with te Coolent I'd worry very much over the pressure cap.. make sure it's the right bar or else you'd be screwed.. never ever let your engine heat up.. :jumping-smiley-013:

Man 18 replies and over 100 views since 5pm odd.. hmm who was to topic starter again? :P

also, if the cooling sys is working correctly, You shouldnt have to add water/coolant more than once in a few months. However if the liquid is running hotter than spec and boiling inside it can eat teh rubber seals hoses etc. causing liquid leakage. IMHO : If you're losing a lotta liquid u might wanna fix teh cause instead of the symptom

on a side note, if u have a radiator leak dont use any of the stop-leak stuff (US/UK) it will clogg your thermostat causing it to not open when engine temp goes up and eventually causing the water pump to go bad. :jumping-smiley-013:

Checked the coolant (BP) I have. It's pre-diluted (30%) and instructed not to dilute further. It differs from Manufacturer to manufacturer. So better read the instructions.

If you use water to dilute, use de-ionized water. U can go by the coolant colour or better check the manufactures instructions. Some long life coolants will last 5 years or 150,000 miles.

Interesting thread.... :(

interesting thread...learnt quite a bit about coolants...sticky anyone?

p.s. i just edited the topic for those who run through the forum by the topic title

Yah thanks alot very educational indeed..!!! no probs shaks,, I was rushing off in a hurry yesterday n didnt hv time to think of a better toipc..

also, if the cooling sys is working correctly, You shouldnt have to add water/coolant more than once in a few months. However if the liquid is running hotter than spec and boiling inside it can eat teh rubber seals hoses etc. causing liquid leakage. IMHO : If you're losing a lotta liquid u might wanna fix teh cause instead of the symptom

on a side note, if u have a radiator leak dont use any of the stop-leak stuff (US/UK) it will clogg your thermostat causing it to not open when engine temp goes up and eventually causing the water pump to go bad. :)

hey good info. tnx all around.