• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Spare Parts Prices!

gunat

Hey Guys,

Just want to put this up as a warning, more than anything.

I just made the order for an engine overhaul kit for my car, including bearings, rings, and mounts. To my surprise, with all the ancilliaries, Toyota Lanka has quoted me ~50k for everything.

I was relating this to the previous owner of the car, who had also got engine mounts a year before i bought the car from him. He went thru an aftermarket parts dealer, who charged the poor bloke 40k for just the mounts! (Shipping and parts prices was his justification). Note that this was back in 2002, which means in 2006 currency, its probably the same as charging 60k for parts worth 20k! :D

Granted, back in 2002 Toyota Lanka had not really got its act together for spare parts dealings, but i still can't see the math on charging such a rogue amount!

This might be the same as kicking a dead horse, but make sure you do ALL the price research before buying spare parts for your cars-starting with the agents. They have the database to match your car right down to the bolt, so you can't go wrong.

Good luck.

machan infact i overheard team of toyota sales people.

toyota has a major problem with counterfeit goods, and i think they are trying to tackle and raid most of the illegal vendors.

its always better to buy genuine parts for your vehicale.

That sounds good until u go to the agent and ask for brake pads for the VZR. The bugger wanted me to go to the Yamaha section coz he thought I was talking about a bike! Then after a long time discussing what the car is, show up with N15 pads. Which is great, excpet of course, they are too small for the VZR.... :D

And FYI, I still haven't found brakepads...

That sounds good until u go to the agent and ask for brake pads for the VZR. The bugger wanted me to go to the Yamaha section coz he thought I was talking about a bike! Then after a long time discussing what the car is, show up with N15 pads. Which is great, excpet of course, they are too small for the VZR.... :D

shaky recommended pionner motors , which i'm going to try next week

last time i went to agents for brake pads they charged a massive amount. but they had the size at that time.

if you find the pads let me also know as i'm also planning to put my car next week for the same thing, which i have been dragging

That sounds good until u go to the agent and ask for brake pads for the VZR. The bugger wanted me to go to the Yamaha section coz he thought I was talking about a bike! Then after a long time discussing what the car is, show up with N15 pads. Which is great, excpet of course, they are too small for the VZR.... :rolleyes:

Call Janak (he knows where to buy), he told me that he replaced his just a month or so b4 he sold it. you can find his number i guess(if not i have it) ...

hadnt cost so much about 27k i guess (especially when Honda City ones are nearly 20k) ;)

if you find the pads let me also know as i'm also planning to put my car next week for the same thing, which i have been dragging

in that case the above post goes out to you as well ;)

Hi Guys,

Just out of curiosity does Brake pads cost in the region of 20K thesedays ? I mean I know for the City and the VZR you need 2 sets for the front and back.

Ha ha I guess the good old days when I used to get FBK pads for our old Mazda for 2250 or 3700 for Genuine Mazda goodies is long gone ??

Regards,

The Don

Hi Guys,

Just out of curiosity does Brake pads cost in the region of 20K thesedays ? I mean I know for the City and the VZR you need 2 sets for the front and back.

Ha ha I guess the good old days when I used to get FBK pads for our old Mazda for 2250 or 3700 for Genuine Mazda goodies is long gone ??

Regards,

The Don

The duplicate pads (all 4) costs 5000 or 7000, i can't remember! logically there's no reason why the original pads should be all that expensive, especially for city :rolleyes:

Hi Isuru,

You need to be careful with this agent business, because they always add a premium to everything they do in any country.

For example my company's ford transit suffered a starter motor faliure recently, we always service our vehicles at the main Ford dealership took it there, and they checked it out, said nothing wrong, returned the van back to us, and then it failed to start again, took it back again, it worked at the dealers and got returned. An intermittent fault. We got pissed off, just went to a spare parts shop, bought a starter motor and fitted it in, cos the dealership wasn't able to reproduce the problem and it was sorted, no trouble since.

Our Cost

Genuine Ford Starter Motor 170 pounds

Labour NIL

Time taken 15 minutes

Just for kicks we asked the dealership and they quoted us in the range of 350-450 pounds for the job.

I know there is a lot of crappy parts out there, but if you can find the OEM of your brake pads, and then buy genuine OEM parts, you should get the same quality and might even save some money, especially on things like brake pads, and shock absorbers and even spark plugs.

Of course need to know where to find these so called genuine OEM goodies as well, never buy duplicates though (Honda branded but they admit they are duplicates).

I think Seiken for brake washers etc, KYB for shock absorbers, FBK for brake pads and shoes, 555 for steering parts, and a few others are pretty good replacements.

I mean others can comment on their own OEM experiences.

Regards,

The Don

why i recommended pioneer motors is cos A*W buys goods from them when they're dry...there are 2 types of nissan parts...the genuine and the key value...both have nissan packaging...the key value parts are generally a lot cheaper than the genuine but are tad less durable as you might expect...

then you have the small timers who manufacture parts...don't touch em unless you're hard up...

Hi Isuru,

You need to be careful with this agent business, because they always add a premium to everything they do in any country.

For example my company's ford transit suffered a starter motor faliure recently, we always service our vehicles at the main Ford dealership took it there, and they checked it out, said nothing wrong, returned the van back to us, and then it failed to start again, took it back again, it worked at the dealers and got returned. An intermittent fault. We got pissed off, just went to a spare parts shop, bought a starter motor and fitted it in, cos the dealership wasn't able to reproduce the problem and it was sorted, no trouble since.

Our Cost

Genuine Ford Starter Motor 170 pounds

Labour NIL

Time taken 15 minutes

Just for kicks we asked the dealership and they quoted us in the range of 350-450 pounds for the job.

I know there is a lot of crappy parts out there, but if you can find the OEM of your brake pads, and then buy genuine OEM parts, you should get the same quality and might even save some money, especially on things like brake pads, and shock absorbers and even spark plugs.

Of course need to know where to find these so called genuine OEM goodies as well, never buy duplicates though (Honda branded but they admit they are duplicates).

I think Seiken for brake washers etc, KYB for shock absorbers, FBK for brake pads and shoes, 555 for steering parts, and a few others are pretty good replacements.

I mean others can comment on their own OEM experiences.

Regards,

The Don

Hey Tnx for the advice Don!

Should do some reasearch on OEM!

Don, Isuru

Have to say not all agents are the same- granted, there are some agents with dubious intents...but again, the point was to specifically start conversation like this- to find the best options, given the limited choice...

Having said that, i'll go out on a limb and say yes, Agents DO tend to charge higher prices- but in my case, i'm ensured of genuine parts (legally speaking too) PLUS these guys actually deliver to my doorstep!!! Maybe its because i'm spending quite a packet, but thats still quite the added bonus.

Good luck for the parts hunt...