• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vvtl-i Put Into Good Use

isurujosh

Toyota's real response to VTEC is not VVT-i as most would assume, it's, so far rare to see in mainstream cars VVTL-i... Follwing is a good illustration of VVTL-i put into good use...

Exige S

exigessidekh1.jpg

a supercharged version of the Toyota 1.8 engine. The intercooled Roots type supercharger boosts horsepower count from 192 to 218 at the same 7800 rpm. More crucially, it sorted out the biggest problem of the high-revving VVTL-i engine: torque. It lifts peak torque from 133 lbft to 159 lbft while lowering its occurrence from 6800 rpm to 5500 rpm. This mean the power band becomes stronger yet easier to access. Moreover, from 2000 rpm there is already 80% of the maximum torque available, so the torque curve is not only shifted towards the center of rev range, but also flattened a lot.

With the new engine, the resultant Exige S can accelerate from rest to 60 mph in merely 4.1 seconds, and then 100 mph at 9.8 seconds. This edge out the late Esprit V8 to be the company’s fastest production car ! Top speed, however, is merely 148 mph because of the high downforce shape and the relatively modest top end power.

I quote from Autozine