• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Help With A Honda

aminda

Hey guys....yesterday my speedometer stopped working and my check engine light came on....and now my speedometer works sumtimes and the check engine light keeps coming on and off...does anyone know y this happens....its a 95 honda DX coupe

Edited by aminda

Hey guys....yesterday my speedometer stopped working and my check engine light came on....and now my speedometer works sumtimes and the check engine light keeps coming on and off...does anyone know y this happens....its a 95 honda DX coupe

If the check engine light comes on, then its time to check your engine :D

Does the odometer(mileage counter) still work? If so its something probably wrong with the speedometer itself, but if both have stopped working then it's possibly a problem with the speedometer cable. I guess you'll have to actually take it out to see what the error is.

Machan If your a do it your self kindda guy you can check the error code your self! Its easy to heres a link- this is where you can figure out how to do it..

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1171263

D-series engines are relatively easy to work on lol.. let us know how it goes

Edited by Pilawoos

machang, i have a 2000 EK3 and i had the same problem. It was a sensor prob.For me i had 3 months comprehensive warranty for my car so my car seller replaced the sensor.

yo mate did u run on wet/rain conditions recently? i gues yo speedo sensor is week..its the one whr the cable meets with 2 screws ..as pila said u can get da error code by yo self too..for a 93- 96 versions the sensor goes from 1500 - 3000 rs..best is take to a authorised honda deler n do a system check..it will clearly show ya where the prob is..also some times the speedo meter jams..too..then get a replacement panel..

Machan If your a do it your self kindda guy you can check the error code your self! Its easy to heres a link- this is where you can figure out how to do it..

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread/1171263

D-series engines are relatively easy to work on lol.. let us know how it goes

Id love to do it on my own machan...thanks heaps for the link..that stuffs pretty neat cos it expalins everythin..

@ racersedge....ya machan...its been raining here quite often...the honda dealership chrages 75 dollars for an hour...a bit expensive...so atleast i'll try to figure out wats wrong maself first

Edited by aminda

@ pilawoos..ya machan...in NY...Buffalo though...(cold ass place)

@ MORGOTH...yep..the odometer stops working as soon as the speedometer stops..thats wat i assumed too...but wanted to ask u guys b4 doing nything

Buffalo hmmm... bit cold indeed... have stopped in Buffalo on my way to Niagara from CT!

• 1 month later...

update on my check engine light....

since i didnt have time to check the problem my self i took it to monro..the place i always take my car if it has a serious problem...therethey told me 2 things....

1) they can only check whats wrong wit my car ONLY when the check engine light comes on...(eventhough my speedometer doesnt work either) apparently in all the hondas after 95 the so called "chip" stores the info on the chip were as in the 95 and earlier models thats not the case

2)They couldnt find the freakin port to plug the computer thing...those guys looked all over and couldnt find it

update on my check engine light....

since i didnt have time to check the problem my self i took it to monro..the place i always take my car if it has a serious problem...therethey told me 2 things....

1) they can only check whats wrong wit my car ONLY when the check engine light comes on...(eventhough my speedometer doesnt work either) apparently in all the hondas after 95 the so called "chip" stores the info on the chip were as in the 95 and earlier models thats not the case

2)They couldnt find the freakin port to plug the computer thing...those guys looked all over and couldnt find it

which part of the world do you live?

ahhh yeah ne... :D

Anyway,Aminda , isnt the Honda after sales serivce helpfull over there? Havent you gone for all the 3rd party places?

ya machan..ppl alwys say that the dealers cost more but i think wen a problem like this comes its better to go to them....planning on going this weekend..

Its your speed sensor thats gone......

Just replace it! Common issue with 92-95 civic's....

dat answer seems to perfectly match the problem description! :D

anyway wot purpose does the speed sensor serve?

does it play an important role? (aka z it okey to run even wit a faulty speed sensor)

z it a somewhat expensive device?[usually sensor cost about 20k in SL - Hola can confirm]