• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Question

Hello Autolanka Members,

Hope everyone is doing great! I am Chamoth from Grease Arcade Automotive (Pvt) Ltd, Yakkala and is opening this forum to discuss all vehicle related doubts, mechanical issues, maintenance advices & anything related to your vehicles. We are more than happy to provide free advices to all your vehicle related issues from our experts who are qualified NVQ 4 & NVQ 5 mechanics. 

Our work shop is a small business located at Yakkala junction which is owned by a Automotive Engineering student currently studying in the final year, we provide all types of auto repairs and maintenance work for any make of model of vehicles. 

Lastly, If anyone has any questions related to your vehicle please comment below and we will provide advice to best of our knowledge to you. 

Thank You - 

Grease Arcade Automotive (PVT) Ltd

35/11 Radawana Road - Right, Yakkala

Mobile: 0763959739

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 answers to this question

On 12/17/2020 at 9:45 PM, Grease Arcade Automotive said:

Hello Autolanka Members,

Hope everyone is doing great! I am Chamoth from Grease Arcade Automotive (Pvt) Ltd, Yakkala and is opening this forum to discuss all vehicle related doubts, mechanical issues, maintenance advices & anything related to your vehicles. We are more than happy to provide free advices to all your vehicle related issues from our experts who are qualified NVQ 4 & NVQ 5 mechanics. 

Our work shop is a small business located at Yakkala junction which is owned by a Automotive Engineering student currently studying in the final year, we provide all types of auto repairs and maintenance work for any make of model of vehicles. 

Lastly, If anyone has any questions related to your vehicle please comment below and we will provide advice to best of our knowledge to you. 

Thank You - 

Grease Arcade Automotive (PVT) Ltd

35/11 Radawana Road - Right, Yakkala

Mobile: 0763959739

Dear Grease Arcade Automotive Pvt Litd,

I am new to this group and I am sorry If I bother you all by asking a question from the very beginning. My car engine is a 5A-FE rebuilt by my own. Here is my story,

Pulley Wobbling

1) During rebuild I saw the crank key has been misoriented. It was too late since I already fixed the crankshaft to the engine and there was only the pulley to be fixed.

2) Then I tried several times to make it properly fix and at last hammered to the key to push it to the slot. 

3) After installation I observed that the crank pulley is wobbling slightly. 

4) When I increase RPM wobbling disappears. 

5) Please see my video that I took.

6) In the video the crank pulley wobbling can be seen but there is a particular rhythm,

7) Could you please let me know the reason for this? Do you think my light hammering would have bent the crankshaft key way? Is it that much fragile? 

Tapping Noise

1) By hearing the video you can see there is a tapping noise which is similar to the frequency of strobe light. Could you please let me know possible reasons for this tapping noise? I checked the valve clearance and found no deviation from recommended values. Only one thing I could not rectify is that one the valve spring bucket was so tight in its slot that it wasn't rotated in the slot. Might it be a reason for this tapping noise ?

2) This tapping noise goes away after engine warm up.

Your expert knowledge and experience are highly appreciated.

Youtube Links for the videos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZZiYUMYIFc - This video is without engine warm up. you can see the tapping noise in addition to crank pulley wobble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYx2arfASI - This is after warm up. You can notice that the tapping noise is no more.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ramburg said:

Dear Grease Arcade Automotive Pvt Litd,

I am new to this group and I am sorry If I bother you all by asking a question from the very beginning. My car engine is a 5A-FE rebuilt by my own. Here is my story,

Pulley Wobbling

1) During rebuild I saw the crank key has been misoriented. It was too late since I already fixed the crankshaft to the engine and there was only the pulley to be fixed.

2) Then I tried several times to make it properly fix and at last hammered to the key to push it to the slot. 

3) After installation I observed that the crank pulley is wobbling slightly. 

4) When I increase RPM wobbling disappears. 

5) Please see my video that I took.

6) In the video the crank pulley wobbling can be seen but there is a particular rhythm,

7) Could you please let me know the reason for this? Do you think my light hammering would have bent the crankshaft key way? Is it that much fragile? 

Tapping Noise

1) By hearing the video you can see there is a tapping noise which is similar to the frequency of strobe light. Could you please let me know possible reasons for this tapping noise? I checked the valve clearance and found no deviation from recommended values. Only one thing I could not rectify is that one the valve spring bucket was so tight in its slot that it wasn't rotated in the slot. Might it be a reason for this tapping noise ?

2) This tapping noise goes away after engine warm up.

Your expert knowledge and experience are highly appreciated.

Youtube Links for the videos,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZZiYUMYIFc - This video is without engine warm up. you can see the tapping noise in addition to crank pulley wobble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYx2arfASI - This is after warm up. You can notice that the tapping noise is no more.

Hi,

Pulley Wobble: There is a damper where the Pully is pressed, in any case if the damper gets bent or deteriorated then pulley wobble can occur. Crank key isn't that fragile for that to cause problem from light hammering. 

Tapping noise: I mostly can be the valve clearance, it can also be the piston to cylinder wall clearance or exhaust manifold leak in some cases. In some cars using synthetic engine oil helps reduce / stop tapping noise due to valve clearance issues. It may be due tot the same issue of the pulley. 

I recommend to get the pulley wobble fixed soon or else it will affect the crankshaft. Please check if the pulley / harmonic balancer is separated from the rubber damper. 

Thank You -

13 hours ago, Grease Arcade Automotive said:

Hi,

Pulley Wobble: There is a damper where the Pully is pressed, in any case if the damper gets bent or deteriorated then pulley wobble can occur. Crank key isn't that fragile for that to cause problem from light hammering. 

Tapping noise: I mostly can be the valve clearance, it can also be the piston to cylinder wall clearance or exhaust manifold leak in some cases. In some cars using synthetic engine oil helps reduce / stop tapping noise due to valve clearance issues. It may be due tot the same issue of the pulley. 

I recommend to get the pulley wobble fixed soon or else it will affect the crankshaft. Please check if the pulley / harmonic balancer is separated from the rubber damper. 

Thank You -

Hellow,

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Pulley Wobble;

Actually initially I thought this might be a pulley damper issue. I replaced my existing pulley with another reconditioned pulley but no change. I did the crank phasing from Edir.i.n.he and they inserted a crank oil seal shaft as well. So I highly doubt this might be a problem due to imbalance made to the crank shaft during these activities. I am planning to go there and tell them the issue.

Talking noise ;

Pistons were checked before repair and so can conclude no piston slap. Only problem then might be are valve clearance and exhaust leak. Does noise disappear after warm up when exhaust leak also ? 

Thanks again..

On 12/25/2020 at 7:09 AM, Ramburg said:

Hellow,

Thank you very much for your guidance.

Pulley Wobble;

Actually initially I thought this might be a pulley damper issue. I replaced my existing pulley with another reconditioned pulley but no change. I did the crank phasing from Edir.i.n.he and they inserted a crank oil seal shaft as well. So I highly doubt this might be a problem due to imbalance made to the crank shaft during these activities. I am planning to go there and tell them the issue.

Talking noise ;

Pistons were checked before repair and so can conclude no piston slap. Only problem then might be are valve clearance and exhaust leak. Does noise disappear after warm up when exhaust leak also ? 

Thanks again..

Hi, 

Pulley wobble can also be due to the imbalance as you said. Please get it checked. 

Tapping noise, yes the exhaust leak noises too reduce when whittle warm up as metal expands when heated up. 

Sorry for the late reply.

Thank you -