• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Schumacher Retires With A Bang @ Monza!

Elvis_Pil

Michael Schumacher has announced his retirement. Ferrari has confirmed that Felipe Massa will be joined at the team by Kimi Raikkonen who is under contract to the team for the 2007, 2008 and 2009 seasons. The team also confirmed that Luca Badoer will be the team's official test driver. "I had always said that the decision to retire would be his alone, but now that decision has been taken, I feel a sense of sadness," said Ferrari chairman Luca di Montezemolo. "We have lived through some unforgettable times together, some good, some bad, achieving results that will be hard to equal. To Michasel goes the thanks of everyone in the company and supporters of Ferrari for all the dedication he has shown to our colours, for the determination and courage with which he has worked, which has provided immense satisfaction."

Schumacher himself began talking about his decision immediately after the chequered flag

"This is a very special day," he said. "It is great to finish this in this style, looking at the championship as well but much more at what is going to happen sometime in the future after much discussion. All the fans and motorsport-interested people had a right to be explained what's going to happen. I'm sorry it took longer than you would have wanted. But this is the right moment. This will be my last Monza race. I'm going to retire. It's been an exceptional time, a really exceptional time. I have really loved every single moment, the good and the bad ones, they are what make life so special.

"I particularly want to thanks my family, starting with my Dad and my late Mum, my wife and my kids, who at all times supported what I was doing. Without their strength to survive in this business and sport and to perform would have been impossible. I cannot be thankful enough. And to all my mates in the Benetton time, and especially in the Ferrari days, when I made so many friends, met so many great guys. It was a really tough to decide to not work at this level again with all of them."

Schumacher confirmed that he made his decision after the United States Grand Prix at Indianapolis but the team decided to keep the secret until Monza.

Raikkonen did not say when it was he signed his Ferrari deal - rumours say it was in the summer of 2005 - but said that he was looking forward to working at Ferrari.

"I want to stress that I really enjoyed my time with McLaren he said. "I have the deepest respect for everybody and will be giving my all in the remaining races."

McLaren responded with grace.

"I have enjoyed working with Kimi over the past five seasons," said team boss Ron Dennis. "As a team we have achieved a lot of success. He is a very special driver and obviously everybody at McLaren wishes him all the best in his future career." (grandprix.com)

1. Michael Schumacher D Ferrari 1:14:51.975

2. Kimi Raikkonen FIN McLaren-Mercedes +8.880

3. Robert Kubica PL BMW +26.440

4. Giancarlo Fisichella I Renault +32.020

5. Jenson Button GB Honda +32.650

6. Rubens Barrichello BR Honda +42.460

7. Jarno Trulli I Toyota +44.680

8. Nick Heidfeld D BMW +45.380

9. Felipe Massa BR Ferrari +45.990

10. Mark Webber AUS Williams-Cosworth +1:12.690

11. Christian Klien A R*D B*LL-Ferrari -1 lap

12. David Coulthard GB R*D B*LL-Ferrari -1 lap

13. Scott Speed USA Toro Rosso-Cosworth -1 lap

14. Vitantonio Liuzzi I Toro Rosso-Cosworth -1 lap

15. Ralf Schumacher D Toyota -1 lap

16. Takuma Sato J Super Aguri-Honda -2 laps

17. Christijan Albers NL MF1-Toyota -2 laps

DNF Tiago Monteiro P MF1-Toyota

DNF Fernando Alonso E Renault

DNF Pedro de la Rosa E McLaren-Mercedes

DNF Sakon Yamamoto J Super Aguri-Honda

DNF Nico Rosberg D Williams-Cosworth

f12006itaxp0737nn8.jpg

Edited by Pilawoos

To have watched Schumacher's entry into F1 and then through to his exit, I consider to be quite a privilage.

I for one, will be quite sad not to see him from next year on wards.

It would take some getting used to not seeing MS on the grid.

Well after this race the championship gap is just a few points.. Looks like MS will have a very good chance to go out a World Champ... Alonso was due for a bit of bad luck anyway

I didnt see the race (thanks to this f*cking Govt.) any thoughts on the Alonso penalty??

Born on January 3, 1969, Schumacher’s beginnings were surprisingly unremarkable. The son of a bricklayer who also ran the local kart circuit, the young Michael took to his father’s track like a fish to water. He won his first championship at the age of six - an early demonstration the natural talent and raw speed which have since defined his career.

Successive teenage triumphs in Formula Ford and Formula 3 followed and established his reputation as a driver to watch. By his early twenties, the Formula One fraternity had finally taken notice and in 1991 the Jordan team took a gamble, asking him to stand in for a jailed Bertrand Gachot at Spa. Schumacher seized the opportunity with characteristic confidence. He qualified seventh on the grid, impressing rival team Benetton so much they offered him a permanent race seat for the rest of the season.

The talent which had carried him this far now blossomed with Benetton’s backing. At the 1991 Italian Grand Prix, Schumacher finished fifth, claiming the first of four points he earned that year. The next season, he enjoyed a maiden win in Belgium, racked up 53 points and beat his more experienced team mate Martin Brundle to take third in the championship. A year later he was fourth in the championship and reigning supreme within the team.

The rest has become the stuff of history. Motivating Benetton to greatness, Schumacher became the lynch pin of a group of immensely capable people. His dedicated work ethic and passion for winning paid off with back-to-back drivers’ titles in 1994 and 1995. Just three years into his Formula One career and Schumacher was well on his way to becoming a legend.

In 1996, the world champion made a brave move. After four seasons with Benetton, he signed to Ferrari - a team which hadn’t won a championship in almost 20 years. Arriving in Maranello, Schumacher set about rejuvenating the Italian squad, attracting two of the founder members of his title-winning outfit at Benetton to join him later that year. Ross Brawn became technical director and Rory Byrne chief designer.

Schumacher’s first season at Ferrari was a trying one. Nevertheless, relying for the most part on his natural talent, he took three victories out of an under-performing car. By ‘98, things were looking more promising and he finished second overall in the title race to Mika Hakkinen. Then in 1999, Schumacher was forced to show his mettle once more after a heavy crash in Silverstone broke his leg and put paid to his title chances for another year.

It was during these early days at Ferrari, when his stakes were down, that Schumacher’s determination and obsessive dedication shone through. As a result, in 2000, everything finally slotted into place and Schumacher, after winning nine races, became the Italian team’s first world champion in 21 years. The German legend would continue winning for the next four seasons, racking up 39 victories and four further championships. He dominated the sport in a way never seen before and firmly ensconced himself in the record books.

Only in 2005, with the rise of Fernando Alonso and Renault, did that dominance begin to wane. Then, as in ’96, Schumacher’s strength of mind came to the fore, as he pushed an uncompetitive car to go faster. The result was third in the championship - five places above a team mate in identical machinery. And in 2006 Ferrari are back and fighting, revived in small part by Schumacher’s resolute ambition and refusal to lie down. Even now, at the age of 37 and heading into retirement, he is still fighting for every win.

Of course, such success rarely comes without controversy, and Schumacher has courted his fair share over the years. His first title in 1994 was tainted (and clinched) with a timely collision with the Williams of rival Damon Hill. Then in 1996, he was stripped of second place in the championship after crashing into Jacques Villeneuve - another title challenger - in Jerez. And more recently the German’s ethics have been called into question following his qualifying accident in Monaco this year.

Schumacher’s insistence on number-one status at Ferrari also drew criticism from some quarters. Eddie Irvine, Rubens Barrichello, and Felipe Massa were all compliant number twos and doubtless played a role in his success. But that cannot diminish the great on-track rivalries Schumacher enjoyed - and won - with the greats from other teams. The likes of Hill, Villeneuve, Hakkinen were all champions themselves, but in the long term none could match his all-round ability. Be it speed, natural talent, ruthlessness or hard work, Schumacher had it all. He rarely made mistakes, his prowess in the rain has been well documented, and he has become so attuned to the development of the cars he drives that he can continually adapt their set-up mid race to his advantage.

The other world champion to leave the sport this year, Jacques Villeneuve, questioned whether Schumacher’s legacy will be as long-lasting as that of Fangio, Senna or Prost. But with 90 wins, 68 pole positions, 75 fastest laps, 1354 points and those seven world titles, most would say Michael Schumacher will never be forgotten - or beaten!

Never did like JV........most of us have even forgotten about him already :P

Hey Pila, how come you did not see the race??

Well the penalty has come under a lot of critisism. But FIA has held steadfast and said rules are rules. Word has it that the car to pit telimentary received from Massa's car had quite clearly shwon that he could have had pole, but had to tap off due to Alonso. Massa was on a hot lap and Alonso on an in lap. But the question remains whether Alonso could have seen that.

In terms of history.. MS revolutionized the whole game of strategy in the modern era of techno F1, he also was incredible at turning around the two teams he raced in and won races with. He was able to bind these teams and take pit stop strategy to another level

Never did like JV........most of us have even forgotten about him already :P

Hey Pila, how come you did not see the race??

Well the penalty has come under a lot of critisism. But FIA has held steadfast and said rules are rules. Word has it that the car to pit telimentary received from Massa's car had quite clearly shwon that he could have had pole, but had to tap off due to Alonso. Massa was on a hot lap and Alonso on an in lap. But the question remains whether Alonso could have seen that.

No cable dude.. been like this for months now :D:( The only places that would show the race- are in the hotels..

JV was something else behind the wheel of a Rothmans Williams-Renault :P Miss drivers like him. of course in recent times he's been all nuts & bolts! Captain bonkers as the Commentators call him!

This is truly the end of an era. For me, F1 will honestly not be the same again, for quite some time. I'd love to see Michael try his hand at another discipline, like Le Mans or the Indy 500. Its unlikely though, because he has always said that F1 is the pinnacle and he has no interest in anything else.

Born on January 3, 1969, Schumacher’s beginnings were surprisingly unremarkable. The son of a bricklayer who also ran the local kart circuit, the young Michael took to his father’s track like a fish to water. He won his first championship at the age of six - an early demonstration the natural talent and raw speed which have since defined his career.

Successive teenage triumphs in Formula Ford and Formula 3 followed and established his reputation as a driver to watch. By his early twenties, the Formula One fraternity had finally taken notice and in 1991 the Jordan team took a gamble, asking him to stand in for a jailed Bertrand Gachot at Spa. Schumacher seized the opportunity with characteristic confidence. He qualified seventh on the grid, impressing rival team Benetton so much they offered him a permanent race seat for the rest of the season.

for a moment i thot i was reading senna's history! somewhat similar :rolleyes:

Hi Yes,

I was quite gutted, but I guess as far as the man is concerned, he has achieved what he has set out to achieve, he has brought to the top not one but 2 Racing teams in the form of Benetton and Ferrari, is obviously responsible for the rise of Ferrari again in F1, and in retiring at this time, he will only have loads of positive memories to reflect on as he reverts to a more laid back life style away from the hustle and buztle of F1.

About Alonso's incident, I think he was unfairly penalized or so it seems from what I saw of it and the commentory of the ITV commentators,

But I do not quite welcome the comments made by him and his team before the start of the race and after because Alonso didn't loose the race because of the decision the stewards made because he steadily made his way up from 10th to 6th and could have gone even further easily, but

A. He was no where near the pace of Shuey and Kimi

B. It was a mechanical faliure that forced him out of the race, he claimed he had to push the car extra hard to make for the defecit, but he was still off the pace with all that pushing.

So bottom line, the loss was due to the failing realiability of their ultra reliable car (I mean it happened in the Grand Prix before one before the last as well was it Hungary ?) and the Renaults not being on the Pace with the Mclarens and Ferrari's (Even BMW seems to be starting to get there),

Making those comments just made Alonso and Renault sound like sore losers, I mean I am a great admirer of Renault and Alonso, but....... I don't know, they did have reason to feel a sense of unfairness at the start ok but in the end the best teams won.

Just my 2 Cents

The Don

I look forward to the next few seasons...

F1 is where the best combination wins (team, car, driver and ofcourse luck), I am curious to see how the next set of combinations will play out. I hope it will be an even playing field. AS and MS along with their many combinations raised the bar high, which should bring a whole new set of dynamics...

kinda like how the level of the game was elevated after Michael Jordan,..

wonder if he gets to keep his company car...

also just my 2 cents...

Edited by dhp

What an emotional press conf. that was. It was like watching a movie with a sad ending! What a great guy/Legend and yes we cetainly are priviledged to be here in his time and watch him create history!

But all good things must come to an end and I like the fact that he's quitting at the top.(I wish he'll bag this year's title and looks good after yesterday!!).

What an emotional press conf. that was. It was like watching a movie with a sad ending! What a great guy/Legend and yes we cetainly are priviledged to be here in his time and watch him create history!

But all good things must come to an end and I like the fact that he's quitting at the top.(I wish he'll bag this year's title and looks good after yesterday!!).

Well I have tremendous respect for MS but I think it was a good time to retire......like you guys say he has raised the bar and now it's up to the youngies & rookies to perform on his legacy...........I think people like Jenson Button are gonna revel in this re-cycled driver line up!

Yeah, but surely will miss the likes of Michael, I guess as Mark Blundell for ITV said he is possibly the greatest complete F1 driver in the game, because not only is he a talented driver he is right there with his team motivating them, instructing them as to what he wants done with the car, I mean he takes charge of the whole situation, and in doing so transforms average teams into competitive ones,

Button Certainly has the potential to be great, Alonso has already proven his greatness, but maybe Kimi has the potential to be greater than any other, but with Hamilton a possibility in the McLaren line up next year and BMW seeming to become competitive by the day its certainly going to be lots of excitement for us, even with Shuey gone :D

The Don

That's true! The field looks wide open now that the giant has stepped out of it.........but with Kimi (although he is one of the best) I think team Ferrari will take some time to get used to working with him. I say this cause they are used to a talented guy (Schumi) taking the initiative and planning strategies and making suggestions for improvement. I think that's gonna be a big hole to fill but no doubt they will settle with Kimi after a couple of years. In the meantime the Championship seems very open for guys like Alonso, Button & Kubica! All in all good for the sport.

To be honest I don't think Button is in the same league of Alonso and Kimi. And there are better drivers like Liuzzi in lesser teams. And new boy Kubica, what a drive!

It's just that all the commentators we hear are British and they simply overate Jenson since they understandably want him to win. They did the same thing with David Coulthard.

I don't think he has what it takes to win regularly let alone have a go for the championship.

Don't forget De La Rosa and Rosberge, stunning drives from both regularly though Rosberg has been plagued by reliability issues in his car

To be honest I don't think Button is in the same league of Alonso and Kimi. And there are better drivers like Liuzzi in lesser teams. And new boy Kubica, what a drive!

It's just that all the commentators we hear are British and they simply overate Jenson since they understandably want him to win. They did the same thing with David Coulthard.

I don't think he has what it takes to win regularly let alone have a go for the championship.

Whoaa GTAm........I think you are not giving "the Button" the credit he should get. Although Kimi & Alonso have shone, Button is certainly in their league with that exciting prospect in Kubica! They just need better cars and I think it's around the corner..........just read up on how Button started and you will realise what a talent he is.........by the way he is also the youngest guy to grace F1 :)

Button is definitely over-rated by the English-speaking media. Don't rate him by his one year in British F3, 1999. Luciano Burti and Marc Hynes beat him to the championship that year and where are they now? Burti wandered around F1 for a while and I think is now racing Brazilian Touring Cars while Marc Hynes never even scored an F3000 drive. Also, wasn't Esteban Tuero the youngest F1 driver ever?

Forget De La Rosa. I'm more excited about Alex Wurx coming back next year because during his early Benetton years, when they had some semblance of competency, he was a real stud. Also, for the record, Kimi would eat Alonso alive if they were ever paired in equal cars.

After the stewrds decision to penalise Alonso, he lashed out at the sport and called it a "business" than a sport.

Well true it is a business, but then again most other sports are highly commercialised in this day and age. How else can the likes of Alonso get paid the kind of money and perks they get?!

Isn't Alonso moving camp for more money??!!

He might be a great driver (I whole heartedly agree on this) but he needs to mature up a bit too.

Ok predictions for next year's top ten list without MS at the end of the season???

Kimi

Massa

Alonso

Fisi

Kubica

De La Rosa(?)

Webber

Ralph

DC

Heidfeld

Don't forget the new team from David Richards next year. Wonder who their drivers would be.