• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing Older Cars

GTAm

I see many old cars like W124 Merc, Audi 80s etc., With very new reg numbers. How the hell are these cars on the road.

I heard that if someone lived overseas for a while can bring his/her car down. Anyone knows exactly the max age a car could be?

And how much duty? And the proceedure?

I see many old cars like W124 Merc, Audi 80s etc., With very new reg numbers. How the hell are these cars on the road.

I heard that if someone lived overseas for a while can bring his/her car down. Anyone knows exactly the max age a car could be?

And how much duty? And the proceedure?

Hi GTAm,

Im copying these FYI from The "application for a licence to import vhicle under the exchange earned abroad" form. Hope these info would be helpful.

Sri lankans working abroad returning after termination of foreign employment can bring down vehicles upto 10 yrs old.

Follwing are the requirements to bring down a vehicle 5 to 10 yrs old

1. proof of foreign employment for a period not less than 5 yrs and of foreign earnings.

2. vehicle should be registered in your name and used by you for a period exceeding 03 yrs.

3.vehicle should not be older than 10 yrs from the date of first registration.

4.photocopies of passport(pages with photograph of the holder, departure endorsement and visa covering period of employment)

5.vehicle registration certificate with an english translation

6.vehicle should be right hand driven

7.you(permit holder) should present yourself with your passport at the time of clearance of the vehicle.(Faliure of this will result in cancellation of licence and confiscation of the vehicle)

8.vehicle should be registered in your name in SL and can not be transferred for 3 yrs.

9.Importation under this scheme is allowed once in five yrs only.

and

Following licence fees calculated on CIF value are payable

Age of the vehicle--------------- % of fees

5-7 yrs----------------------------------- 5

7-8 yrs----------------------------------- 7

8-9 yrs----------------------------------- 9

9-10 yrs --------------------------------12

Edited by milinda