• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Top Gear Host Seriously Hurt In Crash

isurujosh

Check BBC for latest updates

Top Gear presenter Richard Hammond remains seriously ill in hospital after a crash in a jet-powered car while filming for the BBC programme.

The 36-year-old was taken by air ambulance to Leeds General Infirmary's neurological unit on Wednesday.

A hospital spokesman said: "He has seen some improvement overnight, but remains in a serious but stable condition."

saw it in the news.... really sad news for top gear... hope he gets better soon

dunno wot impact this z gonna hav on the show! :blink: already in UK there are quite a few criticism about top gear? chanting a "promoting irresponsible attitudes" ...

whatever I LOVE TOP GEAR!

dunno wot impact this z gonna hav on the show! :blink: already in UK there are quite a few criticism about top gear? chanting a "promoting irresponsible attitudes" ...

whatever I LOVE TOP GEAR!

What a load of crap. There is lots more to criticise than Top Gear. Why don't they start with the entire content of movies and TV progs that come out these days with nothing but viloence and sex? Isn't that worse irresponsible attitudes than a bunch of guys messing around with speed??

What a load of crap. There is lots more to criticise than Top Gear. Why don't they start with the entire content of movies and TV progs that come out these days with nothing but viloence and sex? Isn't that worse irresponsible attitudes than a bunch of guys messing around with speed??

amen to that!

Hi,

Still no real updates on the issue apart from the fact doctors have confirmed Hammond has a significant "Brain Injury" and I quote, though doctors are reasonably optimistic that he would make a good recovery.

His father though sounded a bit pessimistic stating that they still don't know if he would live or die :lol:

And on todays BBC breakfast it was the opinion of stunt experts maybe Hammond wasn't qualified or capable of handling such a car at such speeds, and at 300MPH even Michael Shumacher would have had trouble controlling a car if problems arose or atleast that was the opinion of the expert interviewed.

I hope this isnt the end for the type of stunts Top Gear has been pulling to keep us entertained. I think there is an inherent risk in what they do, but then again there is an inherent risk in driving down the road.

I guess though BBC Top Gear has a cult following (which includes me) it has faced critisism from a lot of parties and accused of glorifying speed, which I think is a pack of rubbish, since speed doesnt have to be glorified, cos the thrills of speed isn't something that Top Gear invented, they just created a program for people who have such thrills. Some people have this impression that the world should be a nanny state where people do not have the ability for rational thinking and thus everything you see and hear should be controlled by some big brother like scheme, and using some morale code which they have drawm up for themselves.

The only critisism if any is maybe the fact JC sometimes lambasts the idea of fuel ecconomy and protect the environment, but recently it was claimed he was just playing to the crowd there cos he himself uses bio diesel in some of his vehicles.

Incidentally I quote the Metro Newspaper here, 14% of the Polar Ice has melted away in the last 3 years alone (2003-2006), so Global Warming is a phenomena nobody can deny, and C02 emmissions are the cause of it, no matter how much certain ecconomic powers might try to deny it, because there own technology is being used as proof to back these claims up.

Sorry for going off topic ...

The Don

Hi,

Still no real updates on the issue apart from the fact doctors have confirmed Hammond has a significant "Brain Injury" and I quote, though doctors are reasonably optimistic that he would make a good recovery.

His father though sounded a bit pessimistic stating that they still don't know if he would live or die :lol:

And on todays BBC breakfast it was the opinion of stunt experts maybe Hammond wasn't qualified or capable of handling such a car at such speeds, and at 300MPH even Michael Shumacher would have had trouble controlling a car if problems arose or atleast that was the opinion of the expert interviewed.

I hope this isnt the end for the type of stunts Top Gear has been pulling to keep us entertained. I think there is an inherent risk in what they do, but then again there is an inherent risk in driving down the road.

I guess though BBC Top Gear has a cult following (which includes me) it has faced critisism from a lot of parties and accused of glorifying speed, which I think is a pack of rubbish, since speed doesnt have to be glorified, cos the thrills of speed isn't something that Top Gear invented, they just created a program for people who have such thrills. Some people have this impression that the world should be a nanny state where people do not have the ability for rational thinking and thus everything you see and hear should be controlled by some big brother like scheme, and using some morale code which they have drawm up for themselves.

The only critisism if any is maybe the fact JC sometimes lambasts the idea of fuel ecconomy and protect the environment, but recently it was claimed he was just playing to the crowd there cos he himself uses bio diesel in some of his vehicles.

Incidentally I quote the Metro Newspaper here, 14% of the Polar Ice has melted away in the last 3 years alone (2003-2006), so Global Warming is a phenomena nobody can deny, and C02 emmissions are the cause of it, no matter how much certain ecconomic powers might try to deny it, because there own technology is being used as proof to back these claims up.

The Don

tnx so much for the update bro! plz keep us posted!

The Don

bravo! bravo! those were some words of gold! coming out froma cult member! then again i am not surprised at the magic of those words... coz i know where the words come from ... (the man him self and the background) :D ... Cheers!

bdw the OT part was the better part of ur post!

We should direct the ozone problem to Mr.Bush and the rest of the developed world. They created the problem and continue to contribute immensly to the problem.

It was Bush who pulled out of the Keoto agreement on lame excuses so that his industries could operate freely.

We should direct the ozone problem to Mr.Bush and the rest of the developed world. They created the problem and continue to contribute immensly to the problem.

It was Bush who pulled out of the Keoto agreement on lame excuses so that his industries could operate freely.

what else can u expect from an oil tycoon? he just had prior obligations to the people that brought him to power. It was a shame to see Clinton's plans to have 90mpg cars scrapped by Bush. Ironically Bush starts the Ethanol run 5 years after....only in America (and maybe Sri Lanka)!

what else can u expect from an oil tycoon? he just had prior obligations to the people that brought him to power. It was a shame to see Clinton's plans to have 90mpg cars scrapped by Bush. Ironically Bush starts the Ethanol run 5 years after....only in America (and maybe Sri Lanka)!

hey! hey! naughty boys! this is not an anti-american(republican) thread :lol:

herez da latest on Hammond's condition (happy news for the Cult)

Breaking! Richard Hammond Chats with Captain Slow

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/5371556.stm

Top Gear's James May says he is convinced his fellow presenter Richard Hammond is "perfectly intact" after a conversation at his hospital bedside.

he! he! the article had this comment also...

Mr Clarkson told the Sun newspaper that he had insulted Mr Hammond's driving skills - prompting a smile from Mr Hammond.

Edited by isurujosh

There is some rumous circulating now that the new season of top gear is now in the balance after this accident, and interesting this whole get top gear off campaign was sparked by BBC's own Breakfast and News Team, their own collegues,

Absolutely ridiculous all of this, risk is an inherrent part of these kind of shows, and for that matter any motoring show, and it doesnt matter if you are driving a 200MPH super car or a 300MPH jet engined dragster, or even a 60MPH city car the risks are still the same.

All who participate and make these programs and even the spectators accept that risk. I mean in the same argument Cricket should have been banned a long time ago, cos once it was the deadliest sport of them all, and Motorsport should be discontinued period.

None of these individuals are reckless, they take the utmost care, but sometimes unexpected things happen, its part of life.

pistonheads.com have apparently raised 140 000 pounds to donate to the yorkshire air ambulance service for them to buy another helicopter, which speaks in leaps and bounds of the popularity of the show.

I think Top Gear fans would fight all the way to stop anybody from taking down their beloved show,

The Don

Edited by The Don

pistonheads.com have apparently raised 140 000 pounds to donate to the yorkshire air ambulance service for them to buy another helicopter, which speaks in leaps and bounds of the popularity of the show.

sorta reminds me of a certain lot who contributed towards face masks for the cops :D

• 2 weeks later...

Come to think of it what happened to that money and the masks ?

Masks are still with me.....

We will not be able to donate it directly to SSP of Colombo. ( No Photos or Pubilicity ), If so we will have to first write a letter to IGP and get permission. Because of these complications its still with me. How ever we can donate this to Individual Stations or SSP of Peliyagoda ( Without Any Photoshoots or Publicity )

Edited by Velocity