• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Mountain Biking

KaluZ

same here... never literally mountain biked.. but have been riding mountain bikes all ma life :-)

Zz

I'm a huge fan of mountain biking, but I think it's a bit hard in Sri Lanka for multiple reasons. First, the wilderness is too wild to go mountain biking in and there are no trails as such, and the roads, even the ones in the rural areas are well...just roads and you don't get the full experience of riding up/down the side of a mountain, or powersliding though some slippery mud on a straight.

Secondly, I think it's difficult to find proper bikes out there (and maintain them). I have noticed lately that there are bikes around with stickers like "Giant", "Specialized" and "GT" on them..I don't know how authentic these bikes are, or how reliable they are. It'd be really nice if there were some way to buy authentic mountain bikes from well-known manufacturers in Sri Lanka, but then again it would probably end up being ridiculously expensive. Even in the US although mountain bike prices start at around $350 it costs around $600 atleast to buy something decent with good, servicable and replaceable components, and you could easily spend well over $1500 on a mountain bike if you wanted to (and I think that's quite a lot of money in a country where you can buy a car for that price!).

Anyway, there's quite a lot of material online about mountain biking, and the technicalities, so google it! And as for bikes, I think brands like Specialized, Trek, and Giant have a good range of starting models. Most of their specifications are similar, and you'd probably be well off as long as you don't go with the extreme low-end bikes they have. Plus, height is everything...so figure out what frame size fits you when buying a bike, because if you buy one that's too big for you it won't be much fun to ride around in the rough.

Cheers.

I'm a huge fan of mountain biking, but I think it's a bit hard in Sri Lanka for multiple reasons. First, the wilderness is too wild to go mountain biking in and there are no trails as such, and the roads, even the ones in the rural areas are well...just roads and you don't get the full experience of riding up/down the side of a mountain, or powersliding though some slippery mud on a straight.

Dude.. there are specialized "packages" these days which i ve seen in the papers relating to mountain biking tracks and everything.. itz more like camping n biking both combined and some of friends have just gone on the fun of it and they say its really awesome! though i do agree with you about powersliding on mud n stuff lmao.. one place which i would REALLY REALLY love to go biking is the world's end.. just something about that place which really hooks me into it.. not to mention.. plenty of mud :D

Secondly, I think it's difficult to find proper bikes out there (and maintain them). I have noticed lately that there are bikes around with stickers like "Giant", "Specialized" and "GT" on them..I don't know how authentic these bikes are, or how reliable they are. It'd be really nice if there were some way to buy authentic mountain bikes from well-known manufacturers in Sri Lanka, but then again it would probably end up being ridiculously expensive. Even in the US although mountain bike prices start at around $350 it costs around $600 atleast to buy something decent with good, servicable and replaceable components, and you could easily spend well over $1500 on a mountain bike if you wanted to (and I think that's quite a lot of money in a country where you can buy a car for that price!).

I ve got a Bridgestone bike from Japan.. second hand and man its bloody durable. I get my parts from this place called Suriy*ge at Maradana.. they deal with Shimano components which is of a very good brand in the biking industry. And there are bikes there for sale ranging from 25k to 65k depending on your requirements. Basically the frames of the locally made bikes are suffice but the components are taiwanese and chinese, thus not long lasting and extremely cumbersome.. replace them with the Shimano parts and wolah.. you ve got an awesome bike with good performance. The sport in the broader sense has got less coverage and popularity though.. for me, its more for riding pleasure and experience.

Anyway, there's quite a lot of material online about mountain biking, and the technicalities, so google it! And as for bikes, I think brands like Specialized, Trek, and Giant have a good range of starting models. Most of their specifications are similar, and you'd probably be well off as long as you don't go with the extreme low-end bikes they have. Plus, height is everything...so figure out what frame size fits you when buying a bike, because if you buy one that's too big for you it won't be much fun to ride around in the rough.

already done all that hehe... though i must say.. for added control a higher seat would be a necessity :-)

Zz

I have been riding in SoCal for about a year now but would love to do some trail riding back in SL. If anyone knows of a group of people who bike there or friends who bike, it would be of much help.

Yup, Shimano definitely is a decent brand when it comes to derailleurs. Glad to know you can find that stuff in Sri Lanka! What about shocks and stuff though? I guess a hardtail bike would more than suffice...less expensive to maintain too, but crappy front shocks die out really really easily..and for the most part can be worse than a bike without any suspension at all.

Will definitely have to look out for some of those biking packages you mentioned next time I'm down. Thanks for the info!

Edited by ucscsades

I have not checked about shocks and stuff though.. am sure there outta be some reputed brands in that place for the simple reason... the owner of the joint is a freakin national bikesman.. I dont opt for shocks though.. it would be preferable on our roads but shocks tend to sacrifice a bit of control for enhanced comfort..

@ kaluz - plenty o ppl interested here.. lmao.. hard to find :-)

thanks for links charith!

Zz

Specialized mountain bike trails? Who needs that? Take a ride down the Galle Road and you can experience a pounding as hard as u would get on any bike trail in the world :D

:D Well said preveen! As if we don't have enough fat holes on our roads to contend with//// these fellas just want to get their asses jolted............just don't seem to get enough of it....(between you and me I think they got too much junk in the trunk...ha ha) :D:):P WEIRD BOYZ! Don't bash the hell outa me now i'm just having some fun! okie girls??