• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bi Turbo And Twin Turbo

Watchman

Question

hey,

I've heard of Twin Trubo engines and Bi- turbo Engines.... are these both the same mechanical principle or do they work completly different ways from each other... Or is it just another Sales term used by some manufacturers to make their cars look extra sepcial....

Then there's the quad-turbo and on the Bugatti EB110 and Veyron, which works like just any other torbu mechanism, right?

Then there's the Mercedes Tri Turbo on the diesel SLK 320CDI, that works on a mechanism/prinsiple of its own, changing the airflow route depending on the speed/load of the car...

i was browisng the net but still couldnt find out the difference between twin-turbo and bi-turbo....

:D

Edited by Dilesh

9 answers to this question

hey,

I've heard of Twin Trubo engines and Bi- turbo Engines.... are these both the same mechanical principle or do they work completly different ways from each other... Or is it just another Sales term used by some manufacturers to make their cars look extra sepcial....

Then there's the quad-turbo and on the Bugatti EB110 and Veyron, which works like just any other torbu mechanism, right?

Then there's the Mercedes Tri Turbo on the diesel SLK 320CDI, that works on a mechanism/prinsiple of its own, changing the airflow route depending on the speed/load of the car...

i was browisng the net but still couldnt find out the difference between twin-turbo and bi-turbo....

:D

I think bi-turbo has two different sized turbos (smaller 1 for the low rpms & bigger 1 for the higher rpms) and twin turbo sizes are same and works with the entire bandwidth.

Edited by ash

It's the same thing,

Bi is used more by European manufactureres. And Twin more by Japanese.

Further to this in the 80s and 90s Maserati had a model called simply the Biturbo. Which had a two turbos on a V6 engine.

What's more interesting is the use of Turbo and superchargers on the same engine. And it is getting popular again. VW has a 1.4 twin charger that puts out a nice amount of BHP and Torque.....can't remember the exact figures now.

The Supercharger works at low revs and the Turbo takes over at higher rpm.

If you guys have been following WRC since a long time ago you will also remember the Group B cars which had very little limits on development. They were monsters throwing out 600 bhp. And the Lancia Delta S4 was one of them and twin charged.

If I'm not mistaken there is a Daihatsu with twin charging as well on some of their domestic models.

What's more interesting is the use of Turbo and superchargers on the same engine. And it is getting popular again. VW has a 1.4 twin charger that puts out a nice amount of BHP and Torque.....can't remember the exact figures now.

Is that the one on the new Golf GTI? I read about this somewhere, but can't place it now...

from what I understood - as far as the Bugatti Veyron quad turbo goes, it uses a W16 engine which is almost the same as 2 V8s...therefore 4 banks of 4cyls and they just dropped a turbo for each bank. They did this because they would've had to use a HUGE turbo otherwise. Its cheaper and more efficient to use multiple smaller turbos than one huge monster.

I got a closer look at the veyron engine of the car in my sig. that engine is an engineering masterpeice and almost the height of engineering arrogance - they did it cos they could - cos we all know that there are cheaper ways to get 1001Bhp without designing your own W16 powerplant.

TWIN, Bi - both the same.

However, if it is stated that they are sequential turbos, then one turbo for low revs and the other for higher revs. This is mainly to eliminate turbo lag which is quite inherent in most turbo motors, though the technology has improved over the years.

TWIN, Bi - both the same.

However, if it is stated that they are sequential turbos, then one turbo for low revs and the other for higher revs. This is mainly to eliminate turbo lag which is quite inherent in most turbo motors, though the technology has improved over the years.

Correct. Usually a smaller turbo works first where lag is minmal and then the bigger one blows in. Does any one know what twin "SCROLL" Turbo means?

Correct. Usually a smaller turbo works first where lag is minmal and then the bigger one blows in. Does any one know what twin "SCROLL" Turbo means?

all i know is the RX-7 savana had a twin-scroll turbo... has more inlets to the turbine or something on those lines? don't know much really...

Edited by sharkster