• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

International Drivers Licence

rman2000

Hi

I need to know where I can get my international drivers licence in Colombo and howmuch it costs? are there any practical sessions needed?? do i need to surrender my old licence?? for how long is the licence valid??? is it renewable after expiration???

thanks in advance

rman

Hi

I need to know where I can get my international drivers licence in Colombo and howmuch it costs? are there any practical sessions needed?? do i need to surrender my old licence?? for how long is the licence valid??? is it renewable after expiration???

thanks in advance

rman

If you have a local license already I think you can get the international one easily, without a trial. You can get it from the Automobile Association, it used to be near 'Holiday Inn' in galle face.

Hi

thanks in advance

rman

I could add bit more for what madmax said. U need to give ur sri lankan driver's licence but they will give u a cerified photocopy until u get the licence. It would take about a week.

cheers

Hi

thanks in advance

rman

yeah i got mine in december 2005. the cost was something like 500 bucks if i remember right it takes 7 days.. but if u r in a hurry you can get it in 2-3 days by paying something like 700 bucks... you have to go get an application (Rs.15) and fill it and hand it in with 2 or 3 photographs 2 photocopies of your lisence and they give you one of the photocopies (certified) as a temp.. you get your original back when you goto collect your int. lisence.

there's no test involved but you can only get the INt. lisence for vehicle classes your local one lets you drive. Plus its valid for only one year.

mind you.. when you apply for the It. lisence, they try to sell you their Association membership but you dont NEED it.. some people go there without knowing anything and the peopel there make it sound like you NEED it.. firmly state that you dont want it. they'll ask you over and over again sometimes (making you feel that its safer to get it) but you really dont...

the lisence itself is more like a small booklet... good luck... <_< dont get fooled with the membership, cos it really isnt worth it...

yeah i got mine in december 2005. the cost was something like 500 bucks if i remember right it takes 7 days.. but if u r in a hurry you can get it in 2-3 days by paying something like 700 bucks... you have to go get an application (Rs.15) and fill it and hand it in with 2 or 3 photographs 2 photocopies of your lisence and they give you one of the photocopies (certified) as a temp.. you get your original back when you goto collect your int. lisence.

there's no test involved but you can only get the INt. lisence for vehicle classes your local one lets you drive. Plus its valid for only one year.

mind you.. when you apply for the It. lisence, they try to sell you their Association membership but you dont NEED it.. some people go there without knowing anything and the peopel there make it sound like you NEED it.. firmly state that you dont want it. they'll ask you over and over again sometimes (making you feel that its safer to get it) but you really dont...

the lisence itself is more like a small booklet... good luck... <_< dont get fooled with the membership, cos it really isnt worth it...

Don't worry about this 1 year validity. when an officer stops u for inspection tell him u came recently. (some day within 1 year) they won't check the passport. works fine in UK B)

plus u can get a new international licence from SL when it expires.