• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Forget Skyline, Think Indica!!

streetKIA

During India's 2006 Auto Expo in New Delhi, Tata unveiled the Indica Silhouette concept car, a radical, high-performance Indica featuring rear-wheel drive, extensive bodywork, and a 3.5 liter 330HP V6. The car is capable of accelerating from 0-100km/h in 4.5 seconds, and maxes out at 270km/h. The Silhouette is currently only a concept vehicle, and is obviously a far cry from the standard Indica.

Want to drive Porsche 911 owners round the bend? Want to make them think they have entered a parallel universe? The Indica Silhouette will not only fill the rear view mirrors of your favourite Porsche and stay with it on a race track, but it also has the ability to pull out from its slipstream and rocket past. Those of you who visited the Auto Expo or read the show report will be familiar with the Indica Silhouette. Not just a show car with a hollow shell, this actually is the real thing — a built-for-the-track racing machine. How quick is it? The Silhouette is reputed to be three seconds quicker around certain circuits compared to Porsche’s GT3! Ah, got your attention, didn’t I?

The motor is a substantial 3500cc all-alloy racing engine that pushes out over 330bhp. For an 850kg car, that is more than enough. Six sequential gears send power to the rear wheels and the driver gets paddle shifters.

I know exactly what you're thinking. "Woah" :jumping-smiley-013:

indiacagj8.jpg

I know exactly what you're thinking. "Woah" :jumping-smiley-013:

indiacagj8.jpg

I dunno if I'm the only one thinking it, but it looks like photoshop and looks damn ugly to boot. The specs look interesting. Can someone confirm this?

To all those thinking it ... No, I am not even close to considering it. I just find it interesting that Tata V6 is pushing 330hp when the VQ35 doesn't to that much. Ergo, doubt...

I dunno if I'm the only one thinking it, but it looks like photoshop and looks damn ugly to boot. The specs look interesting. Can someone confirm this?

To all those thinking it ... No, I am not even close to considering it. I just find it interesting that Tata V6 is pushing 330hp when the VQ35 doesn't to that much. Ergo, doubt...

Man you got a point. Cant we demand for the URL he got this info?

130106Tata%20Indica%20Silhouette.jpg

http://www.answers.com/topic/tata-indica

2006011403220201.jpg

Tata Motors' Indigo XL and Crossover on display at the expo. — Kamal Narang

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2006/0...11403220200.htm

link abt TATA SILHOUETTE

http://www.carandbikeforum.com/cnbforum/20...ica-silhouette/

But what’s under that outlandish skin, those absurdly wide flares and those Tonka Truck-size wheels? No 1.4-litre motor, no grey plastic instrument panel, no high-mounted steering wheel…nothing familiar resides here. Only the name holds a clue — a racing car with the silhouette of an econobox. The story starts with ex-racer J Anand of Coimbatore and his family outfit Jayem Auto. Tech partners with Tata, Jayem shared its expertise in producing racing machines with them. Senior vice president Rajiv Dube was enthused by the concept and the result is the Silhouette. For some time now, Jayem has been producing a similar race car that has a fiberglass Renault Megane body strapped to it. Produced for the French Supertourisme series, the car is produced in technical collaboration with French race car manufacturer, Solution F. The series includes cars like the new Opel Astra, Fiat Punto and others. All the cars are identical under the skin. Tata Racing has plans of running an Indica in the European series, with, hopefully, Indian drivers running along with the pack.

Open the rear door of the Indica, and instead of Ratan Tata’s Ambassador-wide and comfortable rear seat, sits a huge ominous lump of metal. Drastic-looking plumbing, heavy duty hosing, masses of grey alloy all fastened securely between chrome moly spaceframe tubes and a veritable nest of other supports. The motor is a substantial 3500cc all-alloy racing engine that pushes out over 330bhp. For an 850kg car, that is more than enough. Six sequential gears send power to the rear wheels and the driver gets paddle shifters. The electronics for this are also sourced from Coimbatore by Jayem.

The rest of the design too is as no-compromise as a single seater. The huge engine mounting and the engine itself is a stressed member within the chassis, the rear springs are horizontally mounted and the push rod activated double wishbones look straight off a Formula car. Built in aluminium, these arms are massive in length and mounted far inboard compared to a regular car. Also part of the package are a limited slip diff and six piston caliper Brembo discs. Jayem fabricates the entire spaceframe in India. If it drives as good as it looks, this will really be something. Can’t wait to get behind the wheel.

hmm, so its a 4 door knock-off of the Clio V6 and the March with the VQ (SR360? can't remember the designation). Probably turbo to get that power. Well, Clio V6 is supposed to be mad in terms of acceleration and a total nutcase rollercoaster with really bad handling. More of the same from this?

Gotta give autocarindia credit for a sense of humor... "If it drives as good as it looks, this will really be something" :jumping-smiley-013: I'd say it probably does drive as good at it looks. Which aint saying much.

Edited by Pericles

One word: CRAP!

The day the Indians get their act together and start designing nice looking cars is when more people will buy em internationally, right now their driving market factor is price, build quality and styling is shyte!

I would be very concerned about build quality when doing 0-60 in under een 10 seconds, not to mentions hitting a top end of 270 :rolleyes:

Cheers, Porky

I d think their build "quality" exists but not da advanced technology required for dese machines.. the TATA buses survive our roadz n datz good quality! lol.. i d agree about bein sure bout quality.. this car has a "chappa" look which s annoyin n da front has a Suzuki Sedan look which i ve seen in the papers..

is this car released to da public?

Zz

I d think their build "quality" exists but not da advanced technology required for dese machines.. the TATA buses survive our roadz n datz good quality! lol.. i d agree about bein sure bout quality.. this car has a "chappa" look which s annoyin n da front has a Suzuki Sedan look which i ve seen in the papers..

is this car released to da public?

Zz

Nope its still a concept. And for the record i think it looks just ugly. If they are trying to make a supercar, they should include a major makeover from the original indica. I mean it still has the same plastic mouldings.

It's only a matter of time before the Indian's make a strong mark on the global market.

10 years ago they were unheard of internationally. Today they are where the Japs were in the 60's. Given time, they will be strong contenders.

hehehheee!!

That's a pretty impresive 0-60 time and a 330hp out of a 3.5v6 is impresive. but i'd day a set of wider tyres wont hurt anyone.

It's only a matter of time before the Indian's make a strong mark on the global market.

10 years ago they were unheard of internationally. Today they are where the Japs were in the 60's. Given time, they will be strong contenders.

I agree, Tata is coming up at an exponential rate. Plus i would think they have more than enough sales in india alone, to set aside some moeny on R&D.. And the Indica sells their car to Rover which sells it as the CityRover or the Rover 15...

Though the tata perol engine is yet to reach perfection. The Indica engine is thought to give trouble at around 30,000km. But thier diesel engines are great. India has a 1500cc Turbo Diesel version.

Talking about build quality, I think it's quite good.. Nothing to complain of... :rolleyes:

cityroverfrontgf6.th.jpg cityroverbackfo5.th.jpg