• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Nitroglycerine And Petrol?

neXGen

I was watching a movie named "The World's Fastest Indian" a awesome movie it is.. and in it there was a certain scenario where dis dude adds a few pills of nitroglycerine (he suffers from heart problems) to gasoline and the reason he doing so was to gain more power.

Is this applicable to normal automobile engines? Not that I am willing to experiment and risk a car blowing up in the middle of the streets but has anyone got any thoughts about this as to whether it is feasible?

Zz

I was watching a movie named "The World's Fastest Indian" a awesome movie it is.. and in it there was a certain scenario where dis dude adds a few pills of nitroglycerine (he suffers from heart problems) to gasoline and the reason he doing so was to gain more power.

Is this applicable to normal automobile engines? Not that I am willing to experiment and risk a car blowing up in the middle of the streets but has anyone got any thoughts about this as to whether it is feasible?

Zz

Yep I've seen that movie.....it's a top class movie with the brilliant Anthony Hopkins playing the lead role! When I saw him introduce the Nitroglycerine into the Indian I thought, "man this guy is wonkers!?!" It seemed to have worked for him as it apparently makes the fuel burn more completely but I certainly won't try it with any modern age car without geting some expert advice first.

yup! a very interesting and touching story no? I thought "ok, this is gonna be some shit which i see and forget" but then the story and anthony's brilliant onscreen acting made me love it..

thanks for the link.. already researched bout it hehe as it is based on a true story.. cant believe that these old dude really made all the parts himself from stuff such as as cork for a petrol tank lid etc.. this is really a feel good movie and i d a must watch to anybody. what say vtechman?

about the nitro stuff.. i tried doing a search but there has been no records of anyone ever trying it out lol.. the idea occured to me right after the movie but just vanished with time but again yesterday i got the idea and wanted to know lmao...

oh well.. anybody know anything bout it? ;-)

Zz

Edited by neXGen

Nitroglycerin is an octane booster (somewhat like NO2) - Regular air has about 20% Oxygen (remember the old test with a lit cangle, water, a plate and a glass?). NO2 has a much higher % of O2 than regular air, so causes a bigger explosion giving out more energy - Engine has to be retarded to prevent detonation.

If you guys get hold of the authentic DVD (US ver), it comes with a bunch of bonus footage about the real Burt Munro. There is some actual footage of him talking about the building and racing of the bike and also rejecting treatment for his heart condition cos he didnt have enough money...he was one tough ole bird.

Its a good movie cos its based on great story..

"INVERCARGILL. Sometimes spelt with one 'L' to save ink"

Edited by dhp