• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Gm Chevrolet To Sl??

Hola

Guys,

Im not sure if this is stale news. But I just saw the below in a news paper (names edited)

General Motors in Sri Lanka

Company X (Pvt) Ltd is bringing the world’s biggest car maker to Sri Lanka, US-based General Motors with the distribution of the Chevrolet from mid-December.

The company, appointed the local agent for this top US car, plans to introduce the Chevrolet Optra Royal – 1600 cc & 1800 cc, Chevrolet Chevy SRV- 1600cc (Sports/Hatchback), Chevrolet Aveo Sedan-1400 cc, Chevrolet Aveo UV-A-1200 cc (Hatchback) Chevrolet Spark-1000 cc and Chevrolet Tavera – 2400 cc (Diesel Jeep). The cars are in the Rs 2 million-plus range. A statement said the engine is fitted with fuel efficient technologies such as DOHC (Duel Overhead Cam Shaft) & VGIS (Variable Geometry Intake System). A Cool box, Sun roof, adjustable rear seat etc. are the added features compared with the other leading branded vehicles in Sri Lanka.

Hi Guys,

Not to put them down, but the models mentioned are mostly re-badged Daewoos and Suzukis coming off their production lines in India or Korea. What we would like to see are the REAL Chevys...... :rolleyes:

Guys,

Im not sure if this is stale news. But I just saw the below in a news paper (names edited)

Hi Guys,

Not to put them down, but the models mentioned are mostly re-badged Daewoos and Suzukis coming off their production lines in India or Korea. What we would like to see are the REAL Chevys...... ;)

Like the Corvette Z06!!!!!

These are from India machang, there is a GM plant there and all these models are for indian market

yup..just what i was about to say. I haven't seen any of those cars in the US except for the Aveo...I guess even that is made somewhere in Asia with the rest of those rebadged things since its a small car. I guess it would be nicer news if they actually started selling vettes and stuff here..but then again, it would probably end up being really expensie too given that they have HUMONGOUS engine capacities..thereby taking away the one of the only advantages they have in other markets ($$ to power ratio).

Like the Corvette Z06!!!!!

yeah! what would the fuel tax be on that monster engine? it would be like having 500 horses in a sardine can to bring one to SL

the Chevy Aveo is sold in the US..its a POS car here..

Economical? GM? hmm..doubt it. I see GM or ANY american brands for that matter, on the 2007 list of Most Fuel Efficient Vehicles as ranked by the EPA for sub compacts or compacts.

This is however a KIA and Hyundai on this list (as ranked by Edmunds based on the EPA rankings) but clearly they aren't the best option as some more popular, relatively larger, Jap models are ranked higher than they are.

Edited by tuk tuk

Sorry, economical word was wrong. I mean cheap. for 1.1milion if we can get a brand new car which is definieatly apart from Maruti, its then worth it

Actually GM (or any other american brand) can have economical vehicles..in the traditional sense. There's this thing called CAFE standards (Corporate Average Fuel Economy) that car companies need to follow, which says that car companies need to have cars that do an average of something like 25mpg on their model lineups. So in order for a company to be able to offer an elephant that does 5mpg they would have to offer a few economical vehicles that do more than 25mpg too on average to balance it out. This is probably the main reason companies like Chevy offer cars like the Aveo in the US. People may hate them (Actually the new aveo isn't supposed to be too bad), and nobody still buys them, but they still help the companies stay legal.

Don't get me wrong, I HATE most american cars with a passion, but they are atleast trying to become more fuel efficient..probably not through free will, but only because of some stupid law..but atleast they're doing it! There are quite a few hybrids coming out in the US these days too from companies other than Honda and Toyota.

On a different note, you guys should watch the documentary "Who Killed the Electric Car". Probably less aggravating if you don't live in the US, but still a great movie documenting how corrupt politicians, oil companies, and even car manufactures (like Toyota) can be.

• 6 years later...