• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cost Of Maintaining A Bmw 320d

zeem35

This TOPIC can help alot of people

I know alot of people who wanted to settle on a car for a price range of 3 Million..

I always recommended a BMW 320d Reg :D

but all were like the maintaining cost is TOO HIGH for a BMW :jumping-smiley-013:

Is it TRUE??? if YES, what will be the difference ?

the service charges for a normal car and a BMW?

MADMAX you can shed some light on this topic

it can help alot of people i know :action-smiley-060:

We run a 318i (E46 petrol). After 7 years and 70,000km of careful use, Prestige quoted Rs. 600,000 on front suspension repair, replacing the airflow sensor, steering rack replacement and preventative replacement of the cooling system (hoses etc.).

I heard that diesels start developing problems after 65-70,000km depending on the usage and the total engine overhall can cost a packet.

You can check with Milroy in Kelaniya (He's good and very reasonable) for general cost associated with a 3 series. You can save upto 65% on a company quote.

Overall the 320 is a superb car to drive and use day to day.

I think Don is right. Madmax sold his pre-face lift 320d for somewhere like 3.5, I think, and that was some time ago.

As for madmax's reply, u'll have to wait till tomorrow coz he was off attending his Bro in laws wedding this afternoon :D Of course, tomorrow depends on if he can tear himself away from the afore mentioned Milroy :jumping-smiley-013:

I dont know how it is in Sri Lanka but I have e46 M3 and the dealer covers all maintanace for 4 years which includes oil changes, wiper blades, all fluids, brake pads and rotars, pretty much everything except tires. Its really great because I have had the amp and side-view mirors replaced with out paying a cent. BMWs are well built cars so I dont see much going wrong with them, but on sri lankan roads its hard to tell. If you do do the required maint. then u shouldnt have a problem

Lalith

We run a 318i (E46 petrol). After 7 years and 70,000km of careful use, Prestige quoted Rs. 600,000 on front suspension repair, replacing the airflow sensor, steering rack replacement and preventative replacement of the cooling system (hoses etc.).

I heard that diesels start developing problems after 65-70,000km depending on the usage and the total engine overhall can cost a packet.

You can check with Milroy in Kelaniya (He's good and very reasonable) for general cost associated with a 3 series. You can save upto 65% on a company quote.

Overall the 320 is a superb car to drive and use day to day.

did you have the 318 e46 with british plates? I saw one running around colombo

This TOPIC can help alot of people

I know alot of people who wanted to settle on a car for a price range of 3 Million..

I always recommended a BMW 320d Reg :(

but all were like the maintaining cost is TOO HIGH for a BMW :(

Is it TRUE??? if YES, what will be the difference ?

the service charges for a normal car and a BMW?

MADMAX you can shed some light on this topic

it can help alot of people i know ;)

Of course you can't even get a worst conditon 320d for 3 mil. Prices start around 3.5 and goes all the way till 7 Mil.

The pre-facelift models are know to develop a fuel pump fault around 45k miles, but that is mostly due to our bad fuel.

Also I feel the high maintenace cost thing is mostly a myth. Of course you can't expect to fix a BMW for a penny these days, but prices are reasonable. For example and engine mount is only Rs 6500, even my Civic's one cost me more.

Also I don't recommend agents - they will rip you off... most of our BMWs are on the roads becuase of Milroy and not becuase of the agents. But I do visit the agents once in a while as they will give you a good-will warranty on some parts that have common fualts.

For anyone looking for a 320d with about 5-6 mil in thier wallets I reccomend the face lift 320d. It packs 150 BHP of BMW diesel power, and will out run most of the petrol cars on the roads, with a fuel economy of about 45 mpg average. I remeber once keeping up with a certain Merc CLS and the owner asked me if my car was a 325i. :D

If anyone has specific question I'll be glad to reply

Edited by madmax

I remember the same year the 320d s started flowing in to SL and reading rave reviews about the car, I asked Milroy on behalf of a friend who was interested in buying one, and he said they were problematic and advised me against it.

However I guess now those early cars must have been sorted out as if not there would not be so many running and commanding high prices.

The problems were probably due to our filthy fuel.

But I'd heard that the 530d s are problematic is this true. I once drove one and still remember how perfect it felt.

I remember the same year the 320d s started flowing in to SL and reading rave reviews about the car, I asked Milroy on behalf of a friend who was interested in buying one, and he said they were problematic and advised me against it.

However I guess now those early cars must have been sorted out as if not there would not be so many running and commanding high prices.

The problems were probably due to our filthy fuel.

But I'd heard that the 530d s are problematic is this true. I once drove one and still remember how perfect it felt.

The 530Tds are problematic requiring an engine rebuild around 100K. Also the steptronic transmission on the 530d bring a fair amount of worries...