• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Paris Dakar Rally 2007

miniace

The Dakar is a race, the toughest rally in the World: over two weeks of hard work and thousands of kilometres over various tracks. Each year since 1979, crews enjoy an intense rivalry in the middle of the desert. The final result always rewards an incredible winner. Indeed, more than elsewhere, success on a Dakar comes from a synthesis between performance, determination and regularity.

Beyond the borders of victory, the real essence of a Dakar is the challenge.

2007 proves to be another landmark year with 525 entries.In all, 42 nationalities will be represented.

Bike/Quad category ,Car category, Truck category is on as usual this year.

Staring 6 January 2007 to 21 January 2007 between Lisboa -Portimao.Covering a total 7915 kms (Total connection 4309 km, Total special 3606 km).

My money is on Mitsubishi Ralliart team! Can they make their 12th win this year and 7th in-a row?

MINIACE

I know, I'm so stoked about the Dakar. The start is a little later than normal this year but its finally here. The VW and Nissan guys will be looking to finally seal the deal and it'll be interesting to watch Robby Gordon in the Team Gordon Hummer H3 prototype. He is probably the world's best all-round driver right now and he has won stages in the past so if his car holds up he might have an outside shot.

Another team to watch is Petersen Motorsports/White Lightning Racing which has arrived at the Dakar having dominated the GT2 class of the ALMS and Le Mans lately with their 911 RSRs (they're switching to Ferrari F430s next season). They have an off-road racing heritage and although they're running in T1, they should be competitive.

Hopefully LBN gets their shit together.

Edited by KLM

One of the nicest reasons to look forward to the start of the new year :(

Robby might be good Baja and the like, but he has a lot of learning to do before he becomes best in the world.

My money on Mitsubishi as well, but looking to see a good fight from VW.

Nissan does not have an official works team, do they? Thought they pulled out after two Dakars.

Got nothing against Robby Gordon BUT a H3 competing in the Paris Dakar Rally? Oh boy! That's a good one.... :(

Even though the Rally version's probably going to be a specially designed, purpose built truck, with pretty much nothing in common with the road going H3 except for a few body panels: A hundred bucks says it doesn't finish and fifty says it doesn't even get half way through the course.

Edited by tuk tuk

I didn't say Robby Gordon was the best driver in the world but the best ALL-ROUND DRIVER. What current racer has won races in NASCAR, CART, IndyCar, Off-Road, Sportscars (IMSA)? And these were all top-flight series too, I might add. As a racing romantic, I'm a big fan of the all-rounders like Robby, Mario Andretti, Stephanie Sarrazin etc.

But back to the Dakar, ya the Baja-style Pro-trucks like this Hummer have never had much success but that was only because they were occasionally run by privateers with very little Dakar experience. Hopefully Team Gordon is in it for the long-haul, can commit to a multi-year program and keep gathering experience in pursuit of an overall win.

Duncan, I'm pretty sure I saw some Nissans in the scrutineering pictures. Maybe they are privateer cars this year. So what then happens to Giniel De Villiers et al I wonder?

Edited by KLM

Todays standings (cars)

1. SOUSA (POR) /SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

2. SAINZ (ESP)/PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN

3. DE VILLIERS (AFS)/ VON ZITZEWITZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

4. ROMA (ESP) / CRUZ SENRA (ESP) MITSUBISHI

5. PETERHANSEL (FRA) / COTTRET (FRA) MITSUBISHI

6. CHICHERIT (FRA) /BAUMEL (FRA) BMW

7. MILLER (USA) / PITCHFORD (AFS) VOLKSWAGEN

8. MASUOKA (JAP) / MAIMON (FRA) MITSUBISHI

9. AL ATTIYAH (QAT)/ GUEHENNEC (FRA) BMW

10.LAVIEILLE (FRA) / BORSOTTO (FRA) NISSAN

AT 18 overall GORDON (USA) /GRIDER (USA) HUMMER

A total of 177 cars completed in cars event!

MINIACE

As a racing romantic, I'm a big fan of the all-rounders like Robby, Mario Andretti, Stephanie Sarrazin etc.

"Stephanie"? :) Machang, since when did the dude become a lady? ;)

Well, looks like miniace's results proves there are Nissans. Didn't Colin McRae crash a Nissan pickup or truck in the Dakar fairly recently?

Sainz (ESP). Carlos, by any chance? Doesn't wanna take retirement quietly, I suppose :)

And what is BMW running? Some mutant X5?

Well, looks like miniace's results proves there are Nissans. And what is BMW running? Some mutant X5?

Sainz (ESP). Carlos, by any chance? Doesn't wanna take retirement quietly, I suppose :)

Yes Carlos Sainz is overall 2nd today. There are three X3s and two X5 entries and all survived the second day.

Nissans running 27 cars,mainly Patrols and Pathfinders.All are priveteers.

12 appearances for Ari Vatanen in the Dakar Rally, the 2007 event is his thirteenth competitive showing. He is the most successful driver in the car classification with four wins.

MINIACE

Edited by miniace

Hahaha sorry, I meant Stephane Sarrazin. It may have been last year that CMR crashed big-time. It was so huge that he walked around the desert for about 10 minutes without no vision, because he was so shaken up. Tina Thorner navigated, if I remember right.

Todays standings (cars)

1. SAINZ (ESP)/PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN

2. DE VILLIERS (AFS) /VON ZITZEWITZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

3. SOUSA (POR)/ SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

4 . PETERHANSEL (FRA) /COTTRET (FRA) MITSUBISHI

5 . MILLER (USA) /PITCHFORD (AFS) VOLKSWAGEN

6 . MASUOKA (JAP) /MAIMON (FRA) MITSUBISHI

7 . ROMA (ESP) / CRUZ SENRA (ESP) MITSUBISHI

8 . ALPHAND (FRA) /PICARD (FRA) MITSUBISHI

9 . CHICHERIT (FRA) /BAUMEL (FRA) BMW

10 .AL ATTIYAH (QAT) /GUEHENNEC (FRA) BMW

GORDON (USA) /GRIDER (USA) HUMMER is 22nd overall after a 13 min penalty.

MINIACE

Today's overall standings

1. SAINZ (ESP) / PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN

2 . VILLIERS (AFS) /VON ZITZEWITZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

3 . SOUSA (POR) / SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

4 . ROMA (ESP) / CRUZ SENRA (ESP) MITSUBISHI

5 . MASUOKA(JAP) / MAIMON (FRA) MITSUBISHI

6 . ALPHAND (FRA) /PICARD (FRA) MITSUBISHI

7 . SCHLESSER (FRA) /DEBRON (FRA) SCHLES-FORD-RAID

8 . CHICHERIT (FRA) /BAUMEL (FRA) BMW

9 . PETERHANSEL (FRA)/ COTTRET (FRA) MITSUBISHI

10.MILLER (USA) /PITCHFORD (AFS) VOLKSWAGEN

The organisers of the Dakar were this morning informed of the death of South African Elmer Symons, rider number 107, during the 4th stage. At the age of 29, Elmer was taking part in his first Dakar as a competitor having participated in two others as part of an assistance team.

Vetaran Ari Vatanen(VW) ranked 76th overall.Hummer of Gordon/Greider down to 49th place.So far 8 withdrawals in car catagory.Stephane Peterhansel suffered a burned out clutch on the last section of the special stage.

MINIACE

Todays standings

1 .SAINZ (ESP) /PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN

2. DE VILLIERS (AFS) /VON ZITZEWITZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

3 .SOUSA (POR) /SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

4 .ROMA

5 .ALPHAND

6 .CHICHERIT

7 .PETERHANSEL

8 .MASUOKA

9 .SCHLESSER

10.MILLER

Good news for Gordon-Hummer fans,they climbed to 33rd overall! Who said Hummer wont even make it to desert stages? :alc:

Vatanen is also making good progress finished 37th overall.

And remember, Robby's operation is still new - this is only their second year. It'll take them a while to accrue the necessary experience to regularly compete with the front runners. Yesterday they were off the pace because they had contaminated fuel.

Vatanen would have been much higher on the leaderboard if he hadn't, by his own admission, made a mistake by charging into a watersplash like a fool. The engine took in water and he lost tons of time.

For anybody with broadband, www.eurosport.com carries daily footage of the rally, and motorsport.com's Cross Country Rally section has a comprehensive set of daily reports, results, quotes and notes.

For anybody with broadband, www.eurosport.com carries daily footage of the rally, and motorsport.com's Cross Country Rally section has a comprehensive set of daily reports, results, quotes and notes.

Thanks bro for links!

Todays standings

1 .SAINZ (ESP) /PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN

2 .DE VILLIERS (AFS) /VON ZITZEWITZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

3 .SOUSA (POR) /SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

4 .ALPHAND /PICARD MITSUBISHI

5 .PETERHANSEL /COTTRET MITSUBISHI

6 .SCHLESSER/DEBRON SCHLES-FORD-RAID

7 .ROMA /CRUZ SENRA MITSUBISHI

8 .MILLER /PITCHFORD VOLKSWAGEN

9 .MASUOKA /MAIMON MITSUBISHI

10 .AL ATTIYAH/GUEHENNEC BMW

Hummer is making very good progress and finished 18th overall.Vatanen finished 16th day and 72nd overall had bad luck with multiple punctures.

MINIACE

Got nothing against Robby Gordon BUT a H3 competing in the Paris Dakar Rally? Oh boy! That's a good one.... <_<

Even though the Rally version's probably going to be a specially designed, purpose built truck, with pretty much nothing in common with the road going H3 except for a few body panels: A hundred bucks says it doesn't finish and fifty says it doesn't even get half way through the course.

Tuk, I want my fifty bucks! Robby Gordon and the Hummer WON today's stage! Big up to the boys of the Baja.

Said Robby....

"I really went flat out today. I'm delighted with my day. The car was perfect. A year ago, on the same special stage, we lost 20 minutes, but this year we won. I was a bit worried about the petrol level so I slowed down at the end... At one moment, we were battling with Schlesser in the dunes, but I let him go. He was driving faster than us. As regards the general rankings, we had problems with bad petrol in Morocco. On the Dakar, that can become costly in no time. Yesterday, I got a warning for how I overtook. I was pushing the vehicles in front of me. Back home, that's what we do in the Bajas, because we don't have an overtaking warning system. But it's true that when you set off in 71st position, like I did yesterday, you really see the difference between the professionals and amateurs. Whilst some people slow down, I throw it into sixth gear. Today, when I overtook, I was careful to take a wide berth on one side or the other."

Edited by KLM

Tragically, Giniel De Villiers suffered an engine problem and VW has given up the lead of the Dakar to Mitsubishi. Giniel was leading after Carlos Sainz had given up the lead himself due to power steering failure or something like that.

This is really tragic. Now the only non-Mitsubishi hopes are the Schlesser buggy and Nasser Al-Attiyeh in the BMW.

Team quotes after leg nine

Kris Nissen (Volkswagen Motorsport Director)

"We were on the receiving end of a couple of hard blows today. However, it doesn't change the fact that I am extremely proud of the team. Everybody made a huge contribution to enable Volkswagen to lead the rally from the opening day and to get the better of Mitsubishi in direct competition -- until yesterday. It's difficult for us to accept that we are no longer leading and that it is almost impossible to win now. You can win innumerable stages during this rally and must nevertheless only lose one to be the loser at the finish. This is the difference between the Dakar Rally and other competitions such as a football season, in which a single loss does not cost the championship. Our objectives now are to enable Giniel and Carlos to continue, to score as many good stage results as possible and to claim a tidy result at finish."

#301 -- Giniel de Villiers (RSA)

"We were leading the rally when a roller tappet in the valve train broke. It punched a hole in the cylinder head cover and the escaping oil momentarily caught fire. We were able to put the flash fire out with the onboard fire extinguisher. The damage couldn't be repaired on the stage, which is why we had to be towed-in by the Race Truck."

#303 -- Carlos Sainz (E)

"The engine died and never restarted after we'd made a hard landing in a pothole. Mark Miller stopped to help, as did Carlos Sousa. The engine refused to fire up again even after we'd replaced the electronic components and tried to bump start it. So, the Race-Truck hitched us up."

#305 -- Mark Miller (USA), 10th place (leg) / 6th position overall

"We ran at an excellent pace, we overtook a Mitsubishi and a BMW and were lying third at the first time check point. When we came across Giniel, we stopped for about 30 seconds but he told us to continue. Later we followed Luc Alphand, but drove defensively -- so, he had nothing to worry about. Then we made an inspired move: Carlos Sainz was shadowing us very closely. We let him past, what Alphand didn't notice, and so he let Carlos past by mistake because he thought that it was my car. Unfortunately, Carlos ground to a halt. We pulled up alongside him and worked for around 35 minutes trying to repair the car, we changed the ECU -- all to no avail."

-credit: vw motorsport

Dakar rally enters final day today and this is the standing after the penultimate stage.

1.PETERHANSEL (FRA) /COTTRET (FRA) MITSUBISHI

2 .ALPHAND (FRA) /PICARD (FRA) MITSUBISHI

3 .SCHLESSER (FRA) /DEBRON (FRA) SCHLESSER

4 .AL ATTIYAH (QAT) /GUEHENNEC (FRA) BMW

5 .MILLER (USA) /PITCHFORD (AFS) VOLKSWAGEN

6 .MASUOKA (JAP)/MAIMON (FRA) MITSUBISHI

7 .SOUSA (POR) /SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN

8.GORDON (USA)/GRIDER (USA) HUMMER

9 303 SAINZ (ESP) /PERIN (FRA) VOLKSWAGEN

10.HENRARD (BEL) /BECUE (BEL) VOLKSWAGEN

MINIACE

...seems it's not just the road going Tuaregs that are unreliable.

Yeah...I agree...its pity what happened to Sainz after a good run.Finally it looks like Mitsubishis going to claim the victory even without a single stage win!!

MINIACE

Standings after stage 15. hope this is the final result as well

RANKING OVERALL CAR

Pos. N° Name Make Time Variation Penalty

1 302 PETERHANSEL (FRA) COTTRET (FRA) MITSUBISHI 45:53:37 00:00:00

2 300 ALPHAND (FRA) PICARD (FRA) MITSUBISHI 46:01:03 00:07:26

3 310 SCHLESSER (FRA) DEBRON (FRA) SCHLESSER 47:27:34 01:33:57

4 305 MILLER (USA) PITCHFORD (AFS) VOLKSWAGEN 48:03:53 02:10:16

5 306 MASUOKA (JAP) MAIMON (FRA) MITSUBISHI 48:38:08 02:44:31

6 309 AL ATTIYAH (QAT) GUEHENNEC (FRA) BMW 49:25:36 03:31:59 02:12:00

7 313 SOUSA (POR) SCHULZ (ALL) VOLKSWAGEN 51:04:31 05:10:54

8 320 GORDON (USA) GRIDER (USA) HUMMER 52:57:44 07:04:07 13:00