• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Replacing Starter Motor

ucscsades

Hi Guys,

Lately I've been having a bit of trouble with my 95 Civic. When I turn the key to start the engine, sometimes it doesn't do ANYTHING (and sometimes it just starts right up). The lights come on fine, and the check engine light goes off, but when I start the key I get dead silence. If I keep holding the key turned for a few seconds, it starts up eventually, or if I turn the key back, and try again, it starts up after a few tries (sometimes the very next try, sometimes after 3 or 4 tries). When it does, I don't get any trouble, it doesn't hesitate or anything and starts right up. Would you guys agree with me that my starter motor is starting to die?

So I went to an auto parts store a little while ago to buy a starter motor with hopes of replacing it myself. But then the guy at the store said they need to know which brand my current motor is. Apparently they have about 6 different ones that they claim are slightly different, and have slightly different power levels, and that they aren't interchangeable. Is this true? I was looking around online earlier and noticed that there indeed were different ones, but just assumed that they're just different options I had. Isn't it pretty weird for an automobile manufacturer to use several different starter motors in the same model of car? Please advise me whether this is true, or if they were just trying to get me to get my car fixed at their shop!

And finally, now my plan is to take off my current motor, and figure out which brand it is so I can buy the correct one and replace it myself. This shouldn't be a big repair, right? I've been looking at the repair manual, and it seems like a pretty simple job. It shouldn't be much trouble, right??

Any advice you guys can give me, especially you Honda experts, would be greatly appreciated. My car is a 95 Civic DX Coupe with a manual transmission by the way.

Thanks,

S

I’m not a Honda expert.... :P actually no expert in cars. But you could try this as well.

I had the same prob with my Nissan, same symptoms. But didn’t have to replace the starter motor. Replaced the motor brush holder and did a motor overhaul at the same time. Now it works fine. Did it at the agents. Maximum it could be the solenoid. My suggestion is to try that first.

Check you ground cables before doing anything.. it may solve all your problems.. :P Also maybe worthwhile checking your distributor sensors. You runnig a Zc or Y8 motor? starter motors are different on the two. I've never tried this trick I read somewhere, as I've never had the problem, but try starting with your headlights on.. If they dont dim when you turn the key that means your starter motor aint getting power.

Hi Guys,

Lately I've been having a bit of trouble with my 95 Civic. When I turn the key to start the engine, sometimes it doesn't do ANYTHING (and sometimes it just starts right up). The lights come on fine, and the check engine light goes off, but when I start the key I get dead silence. If I keep holding the key turned for a few seconds, it starts up eventually, or if I turn the key back, and try again, it starts up after a few tries (sometimes the very next try, sometimes after 3 or 4 tries). When it does, I don't get any trouble, it doesn't hesitate or anything and starts right up. Would you guys agree with me that my starter motor is starting to die?

So I went to an auto parts store a little while ago to buy a starter motor with hopes of replacing it myself. But then the guy at the store said they need to know which brand my current motor is. Apparently they have about 6 different ones that they claim are slightly different, and have slightly different power levels, and that they aren't interchangeable. Is this true? I was looking around online earlier and noticed that there indeed were different ones, but just assumed that they're just different options I had. Isn't it pretty weird for an automobile manufacturer to use several different starter motors in the same model of car? Please advise me whether this is true, or if they were just trying to get me to get my car fixed at their shop!

And finally, now my plan is to take off my current motor, and figure out which brand it is so I can buy the correct one and replace it myself. This shouldn't be a big repair, right? I've been looking at the repair manual, and it seems like a pretty simple job. It shouldn't be much trouble, right??

Any advice you guys can give me, especially you Honda experts, would be greatly appreciated. My car is a 95 Civic DX Coupe with a manual transmission by the way.

Thanks,

S

Hi,

I don't think you need to replace the starter - you only need to get it serviced, where they'll replace any worn out brushes or bushes.

Most mechanics should be able to do the job pretty easily.

You can do it yourself too, but it can be messy if the starter is on the back of the engine or if you haven't got the right tools for the job.

I’m not a Honda expert.... :alc: actually no expert in cars. But you could try this as well.

I had the same prob with my Nissan, same symptoms. But didn’t have to replace the starter motor. Replaced the motor brush holder and did a motor overhaul at the same time. Now it works fine. Did it at the agents. Maximum it could be the solenoid. My suggestion is to try that first.

Same sorta problem. Solenoid in my case.