• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hot F1 News!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Elvis_Pil

Moves in Singapore

The word in Singapore is that there will soon be news that the island state will be included in the 2008 Formula 1 calendar, with a date either in April or August next year. There remains talk that this will be Formula 1's first night race.

The first date makes a more sense at it could be twinned with another race in the region, possibly a second Japanese event or replacing Malaysia (or both). The August slot is less likely as it would mean the end of the road for Hungary or Turkey.

The weather in Singapore tends to be rather rainy but in April these showers tend to happen in the early evening. In August these can happen in the morning.

Local sources say that the race - which will be on a street track in the downtown area - already has a deal but it is now a question of nailing down the date. More information is epxected next week when the country's Committee of Supply debates the budget for the Ministry of Trade and Industry, which oversees tourism in the country.

www.grandpri*.com :jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013::jumping-smiley-013:

I hate dial up. Mods please delete the extra thread

Yeah, I hear it is pretty much a done deal.

The way things are going with all sorts of rules and regualtions coming out in the EU, it is quite likely that F1 and other such events will spend more time in the Mid East, Africa and Asian region than in Europe.

Good for the region, Good for us !!

• 1 month later...

More news! Heres the track layout. Maybe someone can get a google earth image of it.

IPB Image

Article off grandprix.com

Although a deal has yet to be struck the planning for the street circuit in Singapore is well advanced with Hermann Tilke's engineering team having now come up with a masterplan for the track, although the actual layout came from Singapore itself. It is clear from this that there will need to be considerable work done to construct a pit and paddock area in what is currently the Marina Promenade Park. If all goes to plan this will lead down to the vast Singapore Flyer, a Ferris wheel that will dominate the entire area. The track will go around this and then turn right and left to get on to Raffles Avenue from where it will run up to the junction with Esplanade Drive, where there will be a hairpin which will send the cars south across to the bridge to the Fullerton Hotel. The parallel bridge will be used for grandstands. In front of the Fullerton Hotel the track will turn to the right and cross the Singapore River to the Empress Place development and the Civic District. The track will then turn right down St Andrew's Road, passing City Hall and St Andrew's Cathedral. It will then go through an fast right-left onto Beach Road and will skirt around War Memorial Park, with the Raffles Hotel Complex on the left. It will then go down Raffles Boulevard before turning left into the Suntec City development at Temasek Boulevard. This will take the cars up to the circle in the centre of Suntec City. They will then go round the circle and exit on Temasek Avenue, back down to Raffles Boulevard, where a 90-degree lefthander will take the circuit under the motorway and back into the Marina Promenade Park.

Edited by Pilawoos

More news! Heres the track layout. Maybe someone can get a google earth image of it.

IPB Image

Article off grandprix.com

Although a deal has yet to be struck the planning for the street circuit in Singapore is well advanced with Hermann Tilke's engineering team having now come up with a masterplan for the track, although the actual layout came from Singapore itself. It is clear from this that there will need to be considerable work done to construct a pit and paddock area in what is currently the Marina Promenade Park. If all goes to plan this will lead down to the vast Singapore Flyer, a Ferris wheel that will dominate the entire area. The track will go around this and then turn right and left to get on to Raffles Avenue from where it will run up to the junction with Esplanade Drive, where there will be a hairpin which will send the cars south across to the bridge to the Fullerton Hotel. The parallel bridge will be used for grandstands. In front of the Fullerton Hotel the track will turn to the right and cross the Singapore River to the Empress Place development and the Civic District. The track will then turn right down St Andrew's Road, passing City Hall and St Andrew's Cathedral. It will then go through an fast right-left onto Beach Road and will skirt around War Memorial Park, with the Raffles Hotel Complex on the left. It will then go down Raffles Boulevard before turning left into the Suntec City development at Temasek Boulevard. This will take the cars up to the circle in the centre of Suntec City. They will then go round the circle and exit on Temasek Avenue, back down to Raffles Boulevard, where a 90-degree lefthander will take the circuit under the motorway and back into the Marina Promenade Park.

any idea of the length of the circuit. I wonder what top speed they might manage to hit here? The raffles ave looks like the only decsent straight. Should be good fun! :alc:

Here is more :alc:

Singapore considers permanent race track in Changi

By Ian de Cotta, TODAY | Posted: 02 April 2007 1411 hrs

Photos 1 of 1

First, it was Formula 1, a glamorous annual event to ratchet up Singapore's image as a cosmopolitan tourist puller and put the Republic's skyline on hundreds of millions of television screens worldwide.

Now, that once-a-year race through city streets could be given a turbo-charged boost — adding to the lucrative dollars that the motor-racing industry generates — with a plan to build a permanent race track to feature races throughout the year.

The benefits to Singapore's fledgling motor industry would be enormous, sources told TODAY. In Britain, the heart of Europe's motor-racing community, the industry is worth £3 billion ($9 billion) a year, employing over 38,000 people across 4,000 companies. Singapore's automotive spare parts industry generates $800 million in annual sales, servicing both local and regional needs. Motor sports also provide invaluable technology spin-offs to the automotive industry.

According to sources, the Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS) is considering building the permanent track facility off the East Coast Parkway, near the Changi Naval Base, which could cost between US$150 million and US$200 million ($228 million and $304 million).

The circuit, an FIA Grade 2 track stretching between 3.5km and 4km, will be capable of hosting major motorsports events, except for F1 races, which need Grade 1 circuits.

Singapore Sports Council chief executive officer Oon Jin Teik feels it is critical that Singapore takes advantage of the momentum, when it wins the rights to host an F1 race in Singapore. "A permanent track is ideal because we can't possibly close our streets regularly. It is just not viable," he told TODAY.

Even as F1 enthusiasts are enthusing over seeing the likes of world champion Fernando Alonso of McLaren-Mercedes and Kimi Raikkonen of Ferrari in action, fans of two-wheelers will be keen to watch MotoGP champion Niki Hayden do battle with five-time world champ Valentino Rossi. Then there's the World Superbikes series, A1 Grand Prix, the American Champ cars and the World Touring Car championships, which could turn Singapore into a hub of motor-racing activity.

Local sports car owners, who head to Sepang in Malaysia regularly for a spin, are looking forward to using a track in Singapore. "At least 50 car owners will want to rent the track every weekend," said Mr Arjunan Kulasegaram of Stuttgart Auto, who organises trips for Porshe owners.

It is believed MCYS is looking at the business model of the Sports Hub, where investors will be invited to bid to build and maintain the facility. Among those who are interested is Australian Ron Dickson, whose company D3 has built several street and permanent tracks, notably the Surfers Paradise Track in Gold Coast Australia and Mexico City.

The Australian, who is in Singapore to deliver a talk on racing circuits at the Grand Prix for Marketeers forum at Pan Pacific Hotel (April 3-4), has said that he has had discussions with the MCYS and other government departments and is currently doing a feasibility study on the project.

"Not only is it going to be a top-notch circuit, it will also have space for entertainment for the public and for corporate events," he said. - TODAY/sh

^

||

||

anyone else sense a bit of jealousy here :)

:D just kidding around.... :D:P

Just thinks the world revolves around him and his views. Don't need to point out the specifics, since they are numerous.

:rolleyes:

The singapore ticket is offred at 27k, so finaly F1 is within reach for us!!! :alc:

Just thinks the world revolves around him and his views. Don't need to point out the specifics, since they are numerous.

:rolleyes:

The singapore ticket is offred at 27k, so finaly F1 is within reach for us!!! :alc:

Actually Singapore hosting an F1 race makes little economic sense- they already have everything and this will be a mere feather in the cap.

An asain country.This means it will attract India and many other SAARC countries. We should see this as an opertunity as many SAARC countries (singapore is not) can now enter these races in some form in any mechanism they can work out. The 2007 SAARC sumit we focused on economic growth and comabting terrorism and on the 1st point this Asian F1 track will mean alot to us

Your concepts are somber dude!

If by that u mean that I find his need to speak for everyone annoying, and his need to be the center of attention in everything irritating, then u would be right.

Anyway, this is OT.

By the look of this track, there seems to be quite a long run over a bridge. That should be some superb imagery. Too bad the cloud cover on that bit in your sat photo. Can we have the co-ordinates so we can check it out later?

Actually Singapore hosting an F1 race makes little economic sense- they already have everything and this will be a mere feather in the cap.

Thats actually a major regional threat to the Tissa track. If there is a 4km FIA grade two track in Singa, and a similar track in Tissa, the race organisers are def going to Singa, because they can guarenteee a much larger crowd, and all the ticketing and merchandising that comes with it. The economics don't add up to hold major international events in Tissa. Yet. If this Airport idea actually happens and the tourism industry in that area picks itself up, some major investments in hotels and such, who knows, we might give them a good fight, but if Singa gets their track going first, we'll be stuck before we get started.

If you ask me one thing I've learnt about Singapore, i'd say "they have too much money that they dont know what to spend it on!!!"..

Honesly, you'de b apauled at how they spend on the smallest things here... But hey, if F1 DOES come to singapore i wont be that upset... Some friends and i were actually hoping to goto Malaysia last weekend for the races, but exams too close :(..

Thats actually a major regional threat to the Tissa track. If there is a 4km FIA grade two track in Singa, and a similar track in Tissa, the race organisers are def going to Singa, because they can guarenteee a much larger crowd, and all the ticketing and merchandising that comes with it. The economics don't add up to hold major international events in Tissa. Yet. If this Airport idea actually happens and the tourism industry in that area picks itself up, some major investments in hotels and such, who knows, we might give them a good fight, but if Singa gets their track going first, we'll be stuck before we get started.

All things being equal- the chances of F1 coming to SL is almost impossible.So Tissa will remain a frog in the well for the moment. We’ll never be able to raise the millions needed for franchising. Singapore is confirmed for 2008. I read somewhere that the trend in motor sport is to bring racing to the streets(like in the US Champ car series)- it’s a lot more practical as accommodation for the fans is easier and it will cost a lot less for the Govt. as they can use existing infrastructure rather than spending bucket loads of cash on building circuits in remote areas- which is a hassle to visit and takes a long time to break even. Tissa at least at present is in the same boat. I mean as keen as I am to see a race, the ‘katta’ to get there puts me off it. I mean its meant to be relaxing for the fans right? F1 is also adamant on getting a street race in UK. Even though London is not available there are a few other cities that are apparently interested.

Just imagine if we could have a street circuit in Sri Lanka in or around Colombo- just for our local racing. Something like the Kurunagala thing, but a lot more organized. My choice of the area would be Colombo-7 :) Imagine them Evos & Sti thundering past town hall!

I think countries like Singapore and even the United Arab Emirates particularly Dubai market themselves as being regional hubs and thus for them image is everything. Because in actuality these countries do not really offer much apart from the fact that they offer massive incentives for people to work and do business there and thats the crux of how they operate.

I mean Singapore airlines was going to be the first airline to fly the new A380 and they even built a new airport terminal just for that purpose. Does Singapore airlines needs a A380, I do not know but they certainly want one, and following that same logic A grand prix is exactly the kind of thing they would want to be involved as well.

I do not personally think having a Grand Prix has any bearing on Sri Lanka at all, because Singapore is a country who has its own agenda and it has nothing to do with anything like "Asian Development", and let me also point out Singapore is a south east asian country and part of ASEAN while Sri Lanka is a south asian country part of SAARC.

And if anybody wants to go watch a grand prix in Asia there are always the ones in Bahrain and Malaysia and I can guarantee the costs of watching it there would be similar to Singapore.

As F1 fans the new grand prix in Singapore is exciting news, but as Sri Lankans I do not feel there is anything there to get excited about,

The Don

All things being equal- the chances of F1 coming to SL is almost impossible.So Tissa will remain a frog in the well for the moment. We’ll never be able to raise the millions needed for franchising.

Zactly, Kris. What everybody fails to understand when they beat their chests crying about how Malaysia hosts F1 whereas Sri Lanka doesn't, is that the F1 administration demands millions of dollars from the local promoters in terms of franchising fees. Once you pay those bills, in addition to the hundreds of millions in track infrastructure, you'll have to charge punters hundreds of dollars for seats. Tell me, how many of you, petrol heads no less, will pay that. Then think, will it be possible to bring in a hundred thousand of you, annually, paying those prices. Then think of how many F1 fans you actually know. Then ask yourself when was the last time you went outstation to watch a local championship race. Shit, when was the last time you went to Katu?

Malaysia made it happen because Dr. Mahathir underwrote the whole thing, as part of his strategy in promoting Malaysia as a venue for tourism, business and investment. Lets just forget Sri Lanka as a Grand Prix destination for now, and do what we can, really well. We need to start at the bottom, and right now that means developing the local motor racing scene. I hope Tissa pans out, because we need FIA-grade tracks like that, for ourselves. Katu absolutely sucks, and as involving as Pannala is as a drivers' circuit, the lack of proper run-off, size and basic facilities make it unsuitable for anything but local track days and club events.

Our best bet for holding an international series round locally is the FIA Asia-Pacific Rally Championship. Those who saw the atrocious conditions at the China round of the APRC on Star Sports recently will know that we are easily capable of holding a similar event here. At Pelawatte. :)