• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Amelia Island Concourse D'elegance

dhp

here's my article: its a looong one, so click if u wanna read the whole thing

"Amelia Island Concourse d' Elegance 2007

by Hari Peiris

It was another successful concourse for chairman Bill Warner and the rest of the organizers of the 2007 concourse d’ elegance. Other than rare collectibles and great weather there was an added incentive to attend this year’s show - the seminar on “The Great Road Races”. This year’s event not only featured cars but more importantly the drivers from the “The Great Road Races” of history. Namely the Mille Miglia, Targa Florio, Carrera Panamericana and the Isle of Man TT.

Personally, there was almost a sense of disbelief when the list of special guests was first announced for the seminar. Panelists were a list of road racing royalty. These are the people that you often hear and read about but never actually expect to see in the flesh."

The Panelists:

Sir Stirling Moss – Won the 1955 Mille Miglia in his most famous race car ever, the Mercedes-Benz 300SLR. Along with his navigator Denis Jenkinson, Moss averaged 97.9mph for over 10 hours on everyday public roads. He is one of the most recognizable and popular drivers of all time and probably the best road-racer ever.

Hershel McGriff –Started at the age of 22 and has been racing for 55 years, making his the longest racing career ever. He won the first Panamericana in an Olds 2-door sedan.

Brian Redman – Started racing in a Morris Minor mop-truck and was hired by Ferrari to drive for F2. He was offered an F1 seat, which he turned down. He’s probably best known for his drive in a Porsche 908 at the Targa Florio, however.

Vic Elford – Started racing for Porsche at the Monte Carlo Rally and then the Targa Florio in a 908 coupe. He has driven for Alfa Romeo in the Manufacturing championship. He also competed in Trans-Am, Can-Am and even went NASCAR for a while.

John Surtees MBE – The only man to ever win the F1 world championship as well as seven world motorcycle championships. He also competed in the Targa Florio and Isle of Man Tourist Trophy.

John Fitch – Competed in 1955 Mille Miglia in a 300SL Gull wing Coupe, Panamericana in a Chrysler Saratoga and a 300SLR. At the age of 89, he recently attempted to break the 165mph record (class: production car) at Bonneville in a 300SL coupe.

full article>>

I will post more pics soon...

IPB ImageAlfa

IPB Image328

Edited by dhp

• 3 weeks later...

dhp, you lucky dog. What a priviledge it must have been to have kicked it in the same room as Sir Stirling Moss, Derek Bell and Sir John Surtees. That entire panel was from one of my favourite eras of international sportscar racing, and although there weren't any obvious mistakes in your article, you should note that Jenks was actually a journalist, which makes his and Sir Moss' win even more impressive.

Thanks tuks and KLM..it was just unreal to be there. I was just way too excited as was every other grown man in that room. My wife had to ask me to settle down often. Got a chance to get upclose and get some photos autographed too. The sad thing is this group will proly never be in the same place again.

This was actualy the golden age of balls to the wall racing..and these are the guys that made it thru it and survived to tell the tales..

I'll post more pics..

dhp, you lucky dog. What a priviledge it must have been to have kicked it in the same room as Sir Stirling Moss, Derek Bell and Sir John Surtees. That entire panel was from one of my favourite eras of international sportscar racing, and although there weren't any obvious mistakes in your article, you should note that Jenks was actually a journalist, which makes his and Sir Moss' win even more impressive.

I have to say that I dont know much about Jenks, I only knew that he was a hard-ass to race with. If the driver did something wrong, he would let u know. Stirling Moss and a few others mentioned that..