• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

'knight Rider' Trans Am Up For Sale

Pericles

Mon Apr 2, 8:57 PM ET

DUBLIN, Calif. - KITT, the flame-throwing, river-jumping, talking muscle car from the `80s TV show "Knight Rider," is up for sale. Restored to its debut-season glory, the modified black 1982 Pontiac Trans Am is offered at $149,995 at a Dublin auto dealership. Johnny "Vette" Verhoek of Kassabian Motors has had the car, officially called Knight Industries Two Thousand, on display for about a month.

ADVERTISEMENT

It is one of four documented "camera cars" used for close-up shots and scenes where

David Hasselhoff, who played Michael Knight in the series, was behind the wheel.

Although it cannot achieve the 300 mph speeds that KITT reached, soar 50 feet in the air or throw smoke bombs, key features of the star car are intact. Perhaps most important, the red scanner light on the nose glows and makes a humming noise.

The car has two working video screens on the dashboard, and the cockpit features buttons that light up in green, yellow and red: ski mode, rocket boost, micro jam, silent mode, oil slick and eject.

Most of the buttons don't do anything, Verhoek said. Nor can the car hold a conversation or drive itself.

KITT isn't even street legal because of missing smog equipment and other modifications. Whoever buys the car will probably keep it in a private collection, or it may be purchased by a museum, Verhoek said.

The car belongs to Tim Russo of Livermore, a Kassabian customer who figured now was a good time to test the market, with the 25th anniversary of the show's debut coming up.

Russo purchased the car 10 years ago at an auction in San Diego, and has spent the last decade finding parts to restore it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070403/ap_en_...4uJLE0AhvnqChkF

There is one of these cars in the UK as well. I saw it once it was by the side of the road. They were using it to promote some car insurance. I had a look inside and all but it was looking a bit dated inside. There were wires hanging out from under the dashboard :D the seats were bit worn and all. but it talked.. it had some pre recorded messages . I think i have some photos i took with my phone. I will post them if i can find them..

:lol:

well i dunno if anyone else noticed but there was a "KNIGHT INDUSTRIES TWO THOUSAND" for sale in Sri Lanka as well!!!!!! :o

some clown had put an advert for a Rx7 FB

all it read was Knight Rider for sale ! :lol:

and if i thought i saw what i thought i saw,it seemed to be complete with the LED flashing circuit as well!! :lol:

has anyone watched the 2nd Kight Rider movie?? :huh:

Any idea about the current market price of an ordinary Trans Am in USA?

a 5.7L late 1980's 3rd Generation Trans Am similar to KITT's base car ought to retail for a maximum of $ 3500 based on reputed valuer estimates. prices may change a little based on contition and more so the Trim level

a 5.7L late 1980's 3rd Generation Trans Am similar to KITT's base car ought to retail for a maximum of $ 3500 based on reputed valuer estimates. prices may change a little based on contition and more so the Trim level

Wow ...that's not bad I should say! thanx Dev!

5.7 would result in 3-5km/l? for some reason the car looks really nice man.. despite its age.. i guess knight rider tv series did a good job in promoting the show and the car lol..

@ DevZ - I think i did watch Knight Rider 2.. is it where the car kinda changes its body shape a bit when going boost? like a spoiler been pushed up from the rear n some rectangular shape devices been pushed out on both side in the front?

Zz

yep, but once we bring it down here , the duty would be more than the car value....

sadly no chance of doing that as the car is too old to import to Sri Lanka and the fact that its a LHD doesnt allow it either :(

@ NexGen : your right - that does have some aero parts sticking outta it when it goes into "Super Pursuit Mode" - but this is in the 2nd or 3rd season of the series,not quite the 2nd movie...

http://www.knightriderarchive.com/features/spm1.html

The movie i was reffering to as found out goes by the name "Knight Rider 2000" featuring the KNIGHT INDUSTRIES FOUR THOUSAND - essentially a DOdge Stealth / Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT in drag! :lol:

sadly no chance of doing that as the car is too old to import to Sri Lanka and the fact that its a LHD doesnt allow it either :(

@ NexGen : your right - that does have some aero parts sticking outta it when it goes into "Super Pursuit Mode" - but this is in the 2nd or 3rd season of the series,not quite the 2nd movie...

The movie i was reffering to as found out goes by the name "Knight Rider 2000" featuring the KNIGHT INDUSTRIES FOUR THOUSAND - essentially a DOdge Stealth / Mitsubishi GTO/3000GT in drag! :lol:

yeah, that was an amusing movie, KITT (the computer) was first fitted into a '57 Chevy Bel Air... 'cos the "Knight Four Thousand" was supposed to be his replacement or something, complete with it's own computer!. :blink:

but he/it was eventually put into the four thousand body (which was supposed to be a Pontiac Banshee concept car originally, but due to sourcing issues, was built off a heavily modified Dodge Stealth by Jay Ohrberg Star Cars inc)

it was in the 4th season that "Super Pursuit Mode" was introduced.

there are 2 movies; knight rider 2000 and knight rider 2010.

it was in the 4th season that "Super Pursuit Mode" was introduced.

there are 2 movies; knight rider 2000 and knight rider 2010.

i thought Knight rider 2010 had nothing to do with the Kinght Rider story? :huh:

Team Knight Rider , the series though had the odd connection to the old one with references to KITT & its link with FLAG

i thought Knight rider 2010 had nothing to do with the Kinght Rider story? :huh:

Team Knight Rider , the series though had the odd connection to the old one with references to KITT & its link with FLAG

yes, u r correct. they just used the name for this movie.

April 3, 2007 - Okay, kids - listen up: we need each and every one of you to send us all your money. Seriously, we need you to send us the contents of your wallets so that we can purchase one of the biggest icons of our childhood: KITT.

(Our lawyers say that we aren't allowed to accept your money. These same lawyers are also making us say that this whole "send us your money"-thing is just a joke. Still, if anyone wants to hook us up with KITT, we'll totally take it...)

IPB Image

That's right, the best actor from Knight Rider is up for sale, and it can be yours for a measly $149,995. This is a real-deal KITT designed and built for the actual show. According to the sellers - Kassabian Motors - this version of KITT was one of just three Trans Ams donated by Pontiac for the series, and it is just one of four T-topped KITTs in existence.

IPB Image

This is one of the "hero" cars, meaning it was featured prominently on the show. The two TV screens work, the upholstery is original and it even comes with a framed picture of David Hasselhoff in a tuxedo! Sweet!

IPB Image