• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Models..

Sajith

@ Hola..Actually machang I'm planning to buy an EG. Probably a VTEC. But since EGs are in peak,I have to spend even 1.1 Mil to buy a VTEC in good condition. But some people are saying that most of the VTEcs in SL have been raced & in bad condition.So that's why I made a reasearch on EKs just to look weather i can buy one..But my maximum budget 1.5 mil.

So..wht do u think? What will be the best option for me?

@ Isuru..Thx for the information machang..One more question remaining :)

When we are checking VTEC(say EG) wht r the special thngs we shd look in mechanical side..

Edited by Sajith

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really.. the Americans use the SOHC setup to create decent hp figures on large engines. Like in the Shelby GT http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/ford_4-6L_V-8/ or even in Chrysler http://www.answers.com/topic/chrysler-sohc-v6-engine - not really ''insane' setups'

oh! c'mon, you should have realised that i was speaking about specific out put (horse power per liter)... yes i still stand by my original claim that itz difficult for SOHC set up to achieve more than 100hp per liter out of a naturally aspirated engine with out an "insane set up"...

both the examples you have laid out fail miserably to prove otherwise...

1) Ford Engine: 4.6L/325hp - 70hp per liter

2) Chrsler Engine: 3.5L/255hp - 72hp per liter

don't you realise that 2L/225hp of DOHC VTEC - 112.5hp per liter is unachievable by a n.a. SOHC without an insane setup ... please try to come up with a better example that prove something.

He's not the only one ;)

BS! How can you generalize like that??? The two cam setups are for different purposes- please elaborate

dude Sajith wanted to know what's better in performance department and my claim that DOHC VTEC is superior than SOHC VTEC is absolutely right... if you want to challenge that claim, you are welcome to do so :P

When we are checking VTEC(say EG) wht r the special thngs we shd look in mechanical side..

got one advice for you, if you are seeking performance for 1.5mn Honda is not the best choice (not best of value(performance) for money)... drop a mail to me to i shall inform you more.

Sorry Don. Anyway what cars you own Don?

I own a humble Mirage in SL Hola, I must say I did consider a Civic EG8 or an EK3 when I went car shopping, but every EG8 I found had something done to it, and plus trying to modify Honda's has become very common, while as I saw no fun in trying to do what everybody else was doing so I bought a hacked Mirage instead,

The Mirage is hacked no more but I didn't really get the time to complete my project so at present its just lovingly restored to its original state :).

The congestion charge, high traffic all the time and limited parking and my close proximity to where I work coupled with the efficiency of public transport has kept me from owning something over here, and sadly so :)

The Don

@ Hola..Actually machang I'm planning to buy an EG. Probably a VTEC. But since EGs are in peak,I have to spend even 1.1 Mil to buy a VTEC in good condition. But some people are saying that most of the VTEcs in SL have been raced & in bad condition.So that's why I made a reasearch on EKs just to look weather i can buy one..But my maximum budget 1.5 mil.

Sajith, you can look out for signs of the car being hacked especially through engine noise and the general state of the engine bay etc. In my humble opinion it should not put you away from the car, but merely keep that in mind when you are offering a price for the car

1. Cos either you can pay a high price and get a car in excellent condition

2. Pay a low price get a car in not so condition and then restore it

And it also depends on what sort of a person you are and why you are buying the car. If you are buying for a daily driver, I say go for option 1, and in my humble opinion again you might be better of looking for a late 90's EK3 of which some of which came brand new so might sport 300- number plates, because there are many fine unmolested EK3 examples, and as many have mentioned original EG8's of any form have become a scarce resource. And mind you the problem with these so called modifications are they are not always to your taste.

If you are an enthusiast like me, who likes putting in some hours on the car, prepared for all the hassle involved in sourcing parts and repairing then you have much wider range of examples you could buy, but know that it is highly likely most EG8's with young drivers would have been driven hard at some point in their lives. But with the help of the many "Honda Experts" in the country you do not need to worry about the expertise of restoring a Honda back to its glory days. And Honda parts even engines are far easier to find these days than they used to be some time ago, Even B Series engines can be found if you are prepared to meet the price tag,

Also when I say hacked I meant the engine, always try to find a car with a decent interior cos its exceptionally difficult to find missing bits, and most importantly be very aware of the body condition. Cos engines you can replace, but if the car was involved in a significant collision and endured chassy damage, those problems are exceedingly difficult to correct. I have thankfully not see Honda's rust away easy so thats one thing you probably wont have to worry about,

The Don

Machang, im sure if you hunt right you will be able to get an EG8 for 1.1mil (VTEC). And a 1996 EK3 for 1.5mil if you serched right. Ok, in my opinion its always better to go for the latest model as you can as time goes by and milege goes by and one day you need to think of your resale value to ne?

Machang, im sure if you hunt right you will be able to get an EG8 for 1.1mil (VTEC). And a 1996 EK3 for 1.5mil if you serched right. Ok, in my opinion its always better to go for the latest model as you can as time goes by and milege goes by and one day you need to think of your resale value to ne?

Hmmmm have to agree with Hola. It's not impossible to find a non modified VTEC. Specially there could be some people who own VTEC s' but have no idea as to what VTEC means or the difference between carbs and EFI cars. If you find someone like that, then it's your luck. Try a bit hard you'll be able to get a good car. :D

I agreed with both of u..I met two VTECs like that when we are searching EG8 for my friend. A black one from Gampaha & a blue one from kaluthara side. Both has been maintained by company as they said. Gampaha one is telling 12.75 lax & other one is 12 lax. Again there was a car in a sale @ Dutugemunu street(Kohuwala) for 10.5 lax with decent nice modifications.(dunno abt the mechanical side much).So searching VTECs are like dat. Donno who should trust & who shouldn't :) Dat's y i thought abt EKs for my own safe.

Hola..Today I saw a lovely 300- silver EK3 (Dunno VTEC or nt. But nt a RS. Has a decent alloy set & two white fog lamps) @ townhall passing me towards lipton circus. How much I have to spend for that kindda one machan..

I agreed with both of u..I met two VTECs like that when we are searching EG8 for my friend. A black one from Gampaha & a blue one from kaluthara side. Both has been maintained by company as they said. Gampaha one is telling 12.75 lax & other one is 12 lax. Again there was a car in a sale @ Dutugemunu street(Kohuwala) for 10.5 lax with decent nice modifications.(dunno abt the mechanical side much).So searching VTECs are like dat. Donno who should trust & who shouldn't :) Dat's y i thought abt EKs for my own safe.

Hola..Today I saw a lovely 300- silver EK3 (Dunno VTEC or nt. But nt a RS. Has a decent alloy set & two white fog lamps) @ townhall passing me towards lipton circus. How much I have to spend for that kindda one machan..

Hmmm i am not entirely sure but for decent 96/97 300-/301- EXi it would cost you between 1.3million to 1.5million. was that car in the sale a yellow one?

Hmmm,

EG8 at 1.2 mil..Gosh bro these were 7-8 laks sometime back machang :(

A 300 dash EK3. Forget the Vtec fact for now, was it a 1996 version? You know the diffrence in appearence right?

It has diffrent looks

Here is the 1996 face. Note the black triming around the body and smaller head lamps

IPB Image

And this is the 1999/2000 EK3

IPB Image

Hope you see the diffrence..

Edited by Hola

Hmmm,

EG8 at 1.2 mil..Gosh bro these were 7-8 laks sometime back machang :(

A 300 dash EK3. Forget the Vtec fact for now, was it a 1996 version? You know the diffrence in appearence right?

It has diffrent looks

Here is the 1996 face. Note the black triming around the body and smaller head lamps

IPB Image

And this is the 1999/2000 EK3

IPB Image

Hope you see the diffrence..

Hi Hola isn't it the 96 model that some people call the EK2?

Ok this is going to be a 'wrestling in the mud' type of post :lol:

oh! c'mon, you should have realised that i was speaking about specific out put (horse power per liter)...

Bull! I just read your post.. Cant be bothered realizing what goes on in your head.. You think you can get away by trying to twist things?? hp per liter is a totally different subject.

yes i still stand by my original claim that itz difficult for SOHC set up to achieve more than 100hp per liter out of a naturally aspirated engine with out an "insane set up"...

Where the hell did you make that claim??? Your May 2 2007, 09:01 PM post has nothing of the sort. (unedited at the time of my post)

What you said is :

a) a low spec engine that produces a mere 155hp from 2L - this kind of power is very much achievable from even a SOHC VTEC with a bit of tuning.

B) a higher spec engine that produces 200/220/225 hp - this kind of power is somewhat unachievable to get from a SOHC engine without some insane setup

And thats the post I replied to and I stand by my reply. You were infact talking about total power rating of motors and not hp/lt For which my examples are of decent power figures in mass produced SOHC engines- hardly 'insane setups' in American terms. You think just because Japan prefers lower displacement engines the rest of the world should do the same? 3-4lt+ engines come in family cars in the US :lol:

both the examples you have laid out fail miserably to prove otherwise...

1) Ford Engine: 4.6L/325hp - 70hp per liter

2) Chrsler Engine: 3.5L/255hp - 72hp per liter

Don't you realise that 2L/225hp of DOHC VTEC - 112.5hp per liter is unachievable by a n.a. SOHC without an insane setup ... please try to come up with a better example that prove something.

Therefore all the above mambo-jumbo is completely separate from your previous post and I cant be bothered commenting on it :P

On a related note in general on hp per liter figures- 100hp+ ratings are very impressive on n/a engines and Honda does a damn good job of doing it but at the end of the day total output of the engine is the key to judging the motor- regardless of the how many cams the maker chooses! If people went about judging motors on hp/lt ratings- Honda would be in the same league as Ferrari!!!! And THAT would be ridiculous !

dude Sajith wanted to know what's better in performance department and my claim that DOHC VTEC is superior than SOHC VTEC is absolutely right... if you want to challenge that claim, you are welcome to do so :P

Really? Nope -your post did not quote any previous post.. you should have used the 'quote' feature available on the forum or type clearer. At least for the sake of the Newbies :D

Edited by Pilawoos

Hi Hola isn't it the 96 model that some people call the EK2?

EK2 is the 1300 version in eg series it also comes as eg7 mostly they got only ac n ps but ek2 comes mostly full op with thew 1300cc engine also the this comes in both sedan n hatch back models..

EK2 is the 1300 version in eg series it also comes as eg7 mostly they got only ac n ps but ek2 comes mostly full op with thew 1300cc engine also the this comes in both sedan n hatch back models..

Thanks RACERSEDGE for clearing that up. :)

so in other words can we clasify EK2 as hatch of 1996 EK3 whilst EK9 is the 2000 EK Hatch? :unsure:

EK2 is the 1300CC and as pila said EK9 is Type R, don't think the type R sits on the same EK hatch chassis, It's completly different!

EK2 is the 1300CC and as pila said EK9 is Type R, don't think the type R sits on the same EK hatch chassis, It's completly different!

EK9 got coil springs too right

Does the notorious 3 spoke Hola-mobile EK have leaf springs? :lol:

:D apita ithin thiyenei podi car harida..

No, i dont know the term but its the suspension you get on RS right?

And by the way, the 3spoke is long gone dude!