• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Models..

Sajith

Hi guys,

Can any one pls explain me abt EK3 models??

Probably wanna know abt EK3 VETC & the difference between EG8 & EK3 VTEC engines,fuel efficiency, performence ect..

cheers!

Sajith.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thx Hola.. I read that ..Can I hv some more details on VTECs & Non VTECs..

As you think wht is the best car in performence in standard? EG8 VTEC or EK3 VTEC ??

As you think wht is the best car in performence in standard? EG8 VTEC or EK3 VTEC ??

well i think thats a question worth to have a seperate thread. There are so many members with those machines and they will contribute alot of experience

I think the term better is a matter of perception,

I think the general view is the EG8 VTEC has more potential for tuning vs the EK3 VTEC but as general cars I think they are both pretty good bang for buck though the EG8 market is a bit bloated due to very high demand, and there are very few "non modified" cars in the market

Even the term performance is dependent on point of view ? better fuel efficiency ? maximum speed ? etc, only the few who have owned both or Honda experts like Zaki can really shed some perspective on the matter

EG8 vtec d15b kicks Ek5 d15b vtec d15b vtec any day! its really a 2 stage performance vtec verses a 3 stage vtec with economy in mind. Also Eg8 vtec comes coupled with the 4.25 final drive gear box verses the 4.0 final; drive gear box that comes on the ek3...

fu*-k rice ..I'm trying my best to get by Ek3 to run like a brand new Eg8 with a 'Tuned-I-Chip'

for whatever reason the ek3 sohc vtec model is said to be more fuel efficient than the eg8 sohc vtec. well i don't know much about the performance difference but the fastst sohc in SL is a eg8 sohc vtec(Razali's)

Really?

EG8 vtec d15b kicks Ek5 d15b vtec d15b vtec any day! its really a 2 stage performance vtec verses a 3 stage vtec with economy in mind. Also Eg8 vtec comes coupled with the 4.25 final drive gear box verses the 4.0 final; drive gear box that comes on the ek3...

fu*-k rice ..I'm trying my best to get by Ek3 to run like a brand new Eg8 with a 'Tuned-I-Chip'

Really?

bingo! you got lot of catching up to do, especially in the driving (launch & shifts) department... anyway i wish you best of luck. :)

@Sajith: I guess Pila's explanation of 2 stage vtec vs. 3 stage vtec explains why the ek3 is more fuel efficient.

Thx Hola,Pila,Isuru,Don & MadMax for expressing ur ideas on this machang..

Now I'm having some idea abt EG8 & EK3 vtecs..

@ Pila / Isuru..Machang..what is this "Tuned-I-chip"?? And also howz DOHC Vtecs?? I think It'll be less fuel but may be faster than SOHC rite??

Edited by Sajith

Thx Hola,Pila,Isuru,Don & MadMax for expressing ur ideas on this machang..

Now I'm having some idea abt EG8 & EK3 vtecs..

@ Pila / Isuru..Machang..what is this "Tuned-I-chip"?? And also howz DOHC Vtecs?? I think It'll be less fuel but may be faster than SOHC rite??

More information to be found here,

http://#######/

The Don

Edited by The Don

DOHC VTEC

Honda's VTEC system is a simple method of endowing the engine with multiple camshaft profiles optimized for low and high RPM operations. Instead of one cam lobe actuating each valve, there are two - one optimized for low RPM stability & fuel efficiency, with the other designed to maximize high RPM power output. Switching between the two cam lobes is determined by engine oil pressure, engine temperature, vehicle speed, and engine speed. As engine RPM increases, a locking pin is pushed by oil pressure to bind the high RPM cam follower for operation. From this point on, the valve opens and closes according to the high-speed profile, which opens the valve further and for a longer time. The DOHC VTEC system has high and low RPM cam lobe profiles on both the intake and exhaust valve camshafts.

The VTEC system was originally introduced as a DOHC system in the 1988 Honda Civic CRX SiR sold in Japan and Europe, which used a 160 hp (119 kW) variant of the B16A engine. The US market saw the first VTEC system with the introduction of the 1990 Acura NSX, which used a DOHC VTEC V6 with 270 hp. DOHC VTEC engines soon appeared in other vehicles, such as the 1992 Acura Integra GS-R (B17 1.7 liter engine). And later in the 1994 Honda Prelude VTEC (H22 2.2 liter engine) and Honda Del Sol VTEC (B16 1.6 liter engine).

Honda has also continued to develop other varieties because VTEC is known for racing and most people don't understand the purpose of Honda VTEC road going cars. Today, Honda offers several varieties of VTEC: IVTEC, IVTEC Hybrid and VTEC in the NSX and some Japanese domestic market cars.

SOHC VTEC

As popularity and marketing value of the VTEC system grew, Honda applied the system to SOHC engines, which shares a common camshaft for both intake and exhaust valves. The trade-off is that SOHC engines only benefit from the VTEC mechanism on the intake valves. This is because in the SOHC engine, the spark plugs need to be inserted at an angle to clear the camshaft, and in the SOHC engine, the spark plug tubes are situated between the two exhaust valves, making VTEC on the exhaust impossible.

MINIACE

So as i feel, DOHC is more powerful & less fuel efficency than SOHC?? I've heard that DOHC VTEC EGs are very rare.. So can't we kick-off DOHC by tuning ECU in a SOHC machang??

Also can any one explain about VTEC-Es..

So as i feel, DOHC is more powerful & less fuel efficency than SOHC?? I've heard that DOHC VTEC EGs are very rare.. So can't we kick-off DOHC by tuning ECU in a SOHC machang??

Also can any one explain about VTEC-Es..

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine. Several of the links below go into the actual mechanics of the VTEC system if you are interested.

Several engine manufacturers are experimenting with systems that would allow infinite variability in valve timing. For example, imagine that each valve had a solenoid on it that could open and close the valve under computer control rather than relying on a camshaft. With this type of system, you would get maximum engine performance at every rpm range. Something to look forward to in the future...

More information to be found here,

http://#######/

The Don

:D looking for a discount buddy?

Machang, are you planing to buy one or just reserch? If so what will be your budget?

Because when a EXI goes around 1.8mil now a VIRS is priced at 2.3 to 2.5

:D looking for a discount buddy?

Machang, are you planing to buy one or just reserch? If so what will be your budget?

Because when a EXI goes around 1.8mil now a VIRS is priced at 2.3 to 2.5

Actually No Hola I do not own a Honda, and I have no plans for any sort of modifications for any purpose at the moment

i guess pretty much all questions have been answered... just to put everything on a nutshell...

1) yes SOHC vtecs are more fuel efficient by the virtue of their purpose being made to fit into day to day rides.

2) it is difficult to get a SOHC vtec to be tuned to out perform a DOHC vtec... then again if you tune a DOHC vtec the SOHC vtec will be left cluless... you have to realize that SOHC vtec is "fundamentally inferior" to DOHC vtecs...

there are in fact two types of DOHC vtecs for instance the K20 DOHC engine has two forms (at a very high level of classfication)

a) a low spec engine that produces a mere 155hp from 2L - this kind of power is very much achievable from even a SOHC VTEC with a bit of tuning.

B) a higher spec engine that produces 200/220/225 hp - this kind of power is somewhat unachievable to get from a SOHC engine without some insane setup

3) Tuned-iChip is custom tuned chip done by Zackie (especially for Honda's) he does it for SOHCs and DOHCs too... the SOHCs that run his chips has out performs some superior spec DOHCs (most notably one a 1.5L SOHC VTEC (rated 130hp in standard form) took down a mighty DOHC carina GT with a standard rating of 175/165hp)

Ahhhh, so thats what ur doing when u advertise all these places and paper ads. We'll have to keep a closer eye on this in the future.

:rolleyes: i wish if those guys who advertise on cool deals give a bigger discount. But still it would be hard to afford on a Montero etc :(

Ahhhh, so thats what ur doing when u advertise all these places and paper ads. We'll have to keep a closer eye on this in the future.

He's not the only one ;)

you have to realize that SOHC vtec is "fundamentally inferior" to DOHC vtecs...

BS! How can you generalize like that??? The two cam setups are for different purposes- please elaborate

B) a higher spec engine that produces 200/220/225 hp - this kind of power is somewhat unachievable to get from a SOHC engine without some insane setup

Not really.. the Americans use the SOHC setup to create decent hp figures on large engines. Like in the Shelby GT http://wardsauto.com/reports/2007/tenbest/ford_4-6L_V-8/ or even in Chrysler http://www.answers.com/topic/chrysler-sohc-v6-engine - not really ''insane' setups'