• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Reno Fuego - Pls Advice

Tikiri

Hi, could some one pls advice what is the best model out of 1.4 , 1.6 and 2ltr to have, I know that Reno's have inherent problems, but I like the shape and would like tohave advice on which model is the best, as day to day user as well as from the technical spec.

tks a lot, Tikiri

I had a 1.4 Fuego for a couple of years. Although spares are a bit on the expensive, it is a good car on the mechanical side. The only thing is that the 1.4ltr engine can be a liitle under powered as the chassis is a bit heavy. Other than that, it is a good car.

They are nice cars to drive. I owned a 2.0 one for about 2 months when I was studying in Asutralia. I bought it for AUD1000/- and sold it for 1500/- :D.

I loved the handling and it had a good exhaust note. Had to sell it when I was leaving.

I guess the 1.4 will be very underpowered for a sporting coupe. There were a couple of 2.0 Turbos around too. One of which Bri Ponnambalam used to race in.

For spares you can try Euro parts at Panchikawatte they were formerly known as Colombo Motors. The original wheels on the Fuego came in Metric size so finding tyres is more or impossible. The simple solution is to change to 14" or 15" wheels.

For repairs its best you find a guy who knows Renault as they are bound to have many ideosyncracies that your average mechanic would not know about and could result in disaster.

Fun car. But as mentioned, underpowered as a 1.4...which unfortunately is the common model brought to SL in the early 80's. Strangely, a whole bunch of SL architects bought Fuegos.

Very few survive in original condition- i've seen one or two turbos, but in very sorrowful state. The frailty of the french engine was compounded by the stress of the turbo, and the lack of mechanics who could handle the car.

But for uniqueness, its a clincher. Good luck hunting for one!

The fuego is a pretty interesting car, but it CAN be problematic

may i suggest as an alternative, the Mtsubishi Celeste?? it's in the same category, and may be less difficult to maintain and run...

The fuego is a pretty interesting car, but it CAN be problematic

may i suggest as an alternative, the Mtsubishi Celeste?? it's in the same category, and may be less difficult to maintain and run...

Hey Supra yes the Celeste is a good looking car. I used to want one badly but it does not drive like a sports car at all. Its a Lancer in drag. No where near the Fuego in terms of dynamics.

I'd suggest a Series 1 RX7 if you can find one. That's nice to drive. Anyone know where that Mitsubishi Starrion went?