• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Prices

streetKIA

Has anyone noticed the whacko car prices these days? I have found 2003 registered monteros going for 9 million, but in a reputed car sales I found out that a unregistered 2003 montero costs 5.8 million. People tend to create their own prices and everyone else follows suit. Ive also noticed that the 1986 patrol seems to be going at 3 million these days even though the going rate was about 1.7 million 2 years ago, and 6 lakhs 4 years ago. i would like to know what everyone's views are on this.

Has anyone noticed the whacko car prices these days? I have found 2003 registered monteros going for 9 million, but in a reputed car sales I found out that a unregistered 2003 montero costs 5.8 million. People tend to create their own prices and everyone else follows suit. Ive also noticed that the 1986 patrol seems to be going at 3 million these days even though the going rate was about 1.7 million 2 years ago, and 6 lakhs 4 years ago. i would like to know what everyone's views are on this.

Its become a sellers market I guess, same with houses and property

This is very strange on ecconomic condition, because one would expect with all the problems the country is having with air raids etc, people would be careful with their spending, but inflation is over the top,

and the fact is if people aren't paying this hugely inflated prices sellers would not be able to sell.

I really do not get it, is it just a case of people are getting richer even with all the problems, and thus are willing to pay exceedingly high prices to but commodity goods ? or what am I missing here ?

The Don

When you take vans,

Hiace Petrol is now 2.3mil (DX) to 2.8mil which is a super GL

Caravan Petrol is now 2.2 to 2.6mil

And above will be without full seats. Some years back the diesels went at max 1.5mil.

And look at the Allions, those came in at 2.6mil and now it starts from 3.3mil for a white X grade version. And a Corolla now goes above 2.8mil.

But somewhere, some place there could be an incerdible pricing of all these.

Its become a sellers market I guess, same with houses and property

This is very strange on ecconomic condition, because one would expect with all the problems the country is having with air raids etc, people would be careful with their spending, but inflation is over the top,

and the fact is if people aren't paying this hugely inflated prices sellers would not be able to sell.

I really do not get it, is it just a case of people are getting richer even with all the problems, and thus are willing to pay exceedingly high prices to but commodity goods ? or what am I missing here ?

The Don

You got a point. The domestic markets are not doing good at all. Tourism is down. And very soon we will see locals fillling up the hotels due to crazy weekend packages the hotel guys will offer. And petrol prices are going up, even in the papers they say it might go up further. But you are right,despite all the issues still the cars keep on selling.. :unsure:

Edited by Hola

yes i looked at a white nissan patrol as well and was quoted 9 mil. streetkia, you mentioned that u saw a unreg montero for 5.8 mil... was that recently???

that's a steal..what'st he catch?

The advert actually says 5.8 + VAT (20%). These are GDi versions mind you.

Patrols (Eng No's Diesel) are quoted at the 10 million range

BMW X5 4.4i (asking 15 mil)

If my memory serves me right ever since red and blue alliance came to power in 2004 in two consecutive budgets they increased the import tax. 2004 budget was the worst one in the history for the industry. Ever since then every time the market was about to stabilize some sort of a tax hike followed soon to unstable the market.

On the other hand IMO sri lankans have decided to enjoy their life more. Instead of stacking their money and passing it to the children like the old days now money is spend to pamper them self. Look at the increasing number of luxury apartments been build in Colombo. Some one has to buy them. As pila said banks and finance companies have been very keen to grant loans and the consumer is taking the full advantage of it.

how much is a english number petrol one????

The advert actually says 5.8 + VAT (20%). These are GDi versions mind you.

BMW X5 4.4i (asking 15 mil)

Yes sorry when I phoned the retard he didnt mention the VAT. But I mean still regardless why buy a used registered car when you can buy one for about 3 million cheaper? Added to that some idiot will go and buy it for that price. New patrol's came brand new at 4 million 6 years ago. I saw that ad where the guy wanted 10 million. Absoloutely insane. Even with high inflation, people still tend to buy a lot of expensive cars leaving the middle class struggling to buy road worthy vehicles.

If my memory serves me right ever since red and blue alliance came to power in 2004 in two consecutive budgets they increased the import tax. 2004 budget was the worst one in the history for the industry. Ever since then every time the market was about to stabilize some sort of a tax hike followed soon to unstable the market.

On the other hand IMO sri lankans have decided to enjoy their life more. Instead of stacking their money and passing it to the children like the old days now money is spend to pamper them self. Look at the increasing number of luxury apartments been build in Colombo. Some one has to buy them. As pila said banks and finance companies have been very keen to grant loans and the consumer is taking the full advantage of it.

how much is a english number petrol one????

Haven't seen anything below 6 million and not many petrols around (its a guzzler btw).

Yes people are spending on vehicles and apartments. Most seem to be doing with an intent of investment to some degree than pure consumption (since the traditional savings options yield negative returns anyway).

• 4 weeks later...

Mind the fact one is diesel and the other is petrol. Diesel vehicles are still more expensive than petrols.

If I'm not mistaken the more expensive Montero is Madz's, so you might be thrown outta the forum any moment now

:violent-smiley-030:

Edited by madmax

I dont agree with some of this.. We have a Volvo 960 estate 1995 V6 petrol. 2 years ago we wnted to sell it because of the rising fuel prices.

we couldnt and still the vehicle is with us,..it is in immaculate condition but no one wants it. we have dropped the price more than half of what we initially quoted...but it is still in our garage.

I dont agree with some of this.. We have a Volvo 960 estate 1995 V6 petrol. 2 years ago we wnted to sell it because of the rising fuel prices.

we couldnt and still the vehicle is with us,..it is in immaculate condition but no one wants it. we have dropped the price more than half of what we initially quoted...but it is still in our garage.

Well selling V6s are quite hard. At the moment only luxury cars that are V6s will be bought. People who spend 5 million on a montero wouldn't mind paying for petrol.

Well this is kinda O/T but this is really funny. I was watching t.v when some smart ass said that the only way to reduce congestion on roads, and to reduce pollution would be to increase a litre of petrol by 100 bucks. He said that everything would be sorted overnight.

We get all types of people in this country :D To also reduce obesity I have a feeling food prices might go up even more. Don't you just love this government :P

Madmax is right, but it is true the price of deisel vehicles have been blows out of proportion. i really don’t see the point of getting one comparing to the asking price. two years ago a similar diesel montero cost only 4-5 mil

We get all types of people in this country :D To also reduce obesity I have a feeling food prices might go up even more. Don't you just love this government :P

The most overfed people in this country buy their food for about 10 bucks in the parliment. I gather they have good caterers.

The most overfed people in this country buy their food for about 10 bucks in the parliment. I gather they have good caterers.

Now 35 Rs :D anyway now the leasing prices are very high, one of my friend work in a leasing company told me nw banks are not givin Loans to the Leasing companines and thats why leas prices when up

the volvo 960 estate is only bought by funeral parlors.. :(