• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Speed Traps

Saturn

Does anyone have a list of places where cops regularly check speed, and what methods used?

Only regular place I know is baseline road, before/after overpass, where cops tend to lurk in the corner, under trees, with (what seem's like) handheld radar.

I've seen them stop motorcycles and cars.

I drive past them slowly at 55km/h which pisses them off LOL.

So...

if you know other speed traps, can you please list them here?

Edited by Saturn

135mph would be 215kmph.. ehmm dont even have a dash that could give that reading lol.. In front of SPC Col4 in the nights, Marine Drive around the mosque during weekday mornings and weekend afternoons, Galle Rd Col3 in front of ComBank, Reid Avenue almost in front of the Cop shed, Seeduwa around the Primart area, Elivitgala Mw about 100m from Jayaratne heading towards the cemetery- just a few that come to mind

135mph would be 215kmph.. ehmm dont even have a dash that could give that reading lol.. In front of SPC Col4 in the nights, Marine Drive around the mosque during weekday mornings and weekend afternoons, Galle Rd Col3 in front of ComBank, Reid Avenue almost in front of the Cop shed, Seeduwa around the Primart area, Elivitgala Mw about 100m from Jayaratne heading towards the cemetery- just a few that come to mind

Weekends on Parliament drive just past the Speakers House. I have seen them there regularly now. They track both sides of the road. Thats the last straw!!!!

Weekends on Parliament drive just past the Speakers House. I have seen them there regularly now. They track both sides of the road. Thats the last straw!!!!

sunday afternoons between 2 and 5 on marine drive close to the bambalapitya end for sure.

Got copped at 3a.m. at the usual spot on Elvitigala MW. for doing 70 in a 50kmph zone. Pretty retarded, because there is hardly a car on the road at that time, and driving at 50 is more likely to cause someone rear-ending you. The annoying thing is there were around 7 cops there (including one armed) and none of them asked me where I was going, bothered to check my car, see if i was under the influence, or anything of that sort. To crown it all, they were hanging around with some guy in plain clothes who was obviously drunk, but seemed to know them well. Perhaps a drunk cop. I was annoyed so I just gave the licence without a word and got the ticket, though the cop seemed to want to try and make some smart comments.

Felt like saying there are bigger problems in the country you lot should be looking into than people speeding on empty roads at 3 in the morning. Whats with the ridiculously low speed limit on that road at night anyway?

Edited by SeanD

Few locations -Colombo-Negombo road

Peliyagoda bend soon after Foodcity

Peliyagoda either side near Sooriyarachchi furnitures

Mabole infront of Keels super

Wattala Near bridge passed police station

Mahabage infront of Sathosa -Mcdonalds

Mahabage infront of Phoenix

Kandana-Nagoda- infront of Wasana auto

Jaela-Near Keels (either side)

Jaela -Rukmani streach

Dandugama-end of streach before bridge

Seeduwa near police station (either side)

Seeduwa near AGH

Kurana infront of Silva Motors

Kurana Infront of roast chicken place

Kurana infront of Monaro security

Negombo -Keels (either side)

MINIACE

MINIACE

I'm amazed at how much effort and dedication they put into hindering the very people who actually pay their salaries (via taxes). Imagine if they used that energy to stop real crime instead...

Edited by Saturn

Mabole infront of Keels super

Wattala Near bridge passed police station

Mahabage infront of Sathosa -Mcdonalds

Mahabage infront of Phoenix

Kandana-Nagoda- infront of Wasana auto

Jaela-Near Keels (either side)

Jaela -Rukmani streach

Dandugama-end of streach before bridge

Seeduwa near police station (either side)

Seeduwa near AGH

Kurana infront of Silva Motors

Kurana Infront of roast chicken place

Kurana infront of Monaro security

Negombo -Keels (either side)

MINIACE

wow those are my fav locations too specially at nite arnd 2pm the wasana auto spot is a 24 hour commited duty by cops..but ma fav is seeduwa near AGH..2 weeks back a cop raced with me from there to the old rest house of negambo..ha ha great fun..dnt ask the rest miniace..ha ha

Hey guy's I got copped :car-smiley-011: in front of Panagoda Army Camp Last night. They showed me the meter reading as 65 KM/h W.T.F.!!! :blink: I was on the way towards Colombo from Meegoda at arround 11.30PM. The worst part is after Maharagama I took the Mirihana Road to Nugegoda & Just before Mirihana Police Station I got copped :car-smiley-011: again in front of Udahamulla Bus Depot :action-smiley-060: . The meter reading was 64 KM/h... W.T.F. :blink: I am really feeling bad <_< without a Radar Detector guys!!! Shall we all get together :food-smiley-004: & Find a way to import a whole bunch of Radar detectors :grinning-smiley-004: for a quantity discounted price :deal: ??? If anyone have a extra one I wouldn't mind buying one right away B) ... So what do you say guy's???..........

Hey guy's I got copped :car-smiley-011: in front of Panagoda Army Camp Last night. They showed me the meter reading as 65 KM/h W.T.F.!!! :blink: I was on the way towards Colombo from Meegoda at arround 11.30PM. The worst part is after Maharagama I took the Mirihana Road to Nugegoda & Just before Mirihana Police Station I got copped :car-smiley-011: again in front of Udahamulla Bus Depot :action-smiley-060: . The meter reading was 64 KM/h... W.T.F. :blink: I am really feeling bad <_< without a Radar Detector guys!!! Shall we all get together :food-smiley-004: & Find a way to import a whole bunch of Radar detectors :grinning-smiley-004: for a quantity discounted price :deal: ??? If anyone have a extra one I wouldn't mind buying one right away B) ... So what do you say guy's???..........

available at Pet#o. i bought one works well.

available at Pet#o. i bought one works well.

Could you tell us the price and more details? Does it work with all types of speed detectors used in SL? I hear they have changed the meters to Laser readers or something, does it work for that as well :blink:

Could you tell us the price and more details? Does it work with all types of speed detectors used in SL? I hear they have changed the meters to Laser readers or something, does it work for that as well :blink:

the model is cobra 3 . cost about 32,000/-, yes it works with all speed detectors.

the model is cobra 3 . cost about 32,000/-, yes it works with all speed detectors.

If thats the price I would rather pay the 1000/= speeding tickets with no complaints as it would take around good 5 yrs to coverup the initial capital outlay on this gadget.

If thats the price I would rather pay the 1000/= speeding tickets with no complaints as it would take around good 5 yrs to coverup the initial capital outlay on this gadget.

Thats one way of looking at it. The other point is wasting ur time getting moralistic lectures from cops who probably don't know the front of a car from the back, and the main problem, getting copped outstation. Worthwhile having to go back to Anuradhapura/Tissamaharama like places to get your license back? :D Induvidual call, I suppose.

Thanx, Cheers buddy :food-smiley-004: !!! You're a life saver :action-smiley-026: !!!

Hey Milinda... Forget about the cost of the gadget :rolleyes: !!! Just imagine the waste of time & the drama you have to go through :huh: !!!! But the best of em all is when We are doing over 100 KM/h.... :car-smiley-002: & when the detector starts beeping :action-smiley-028: , you slow down & the feeling you get when you pass the "Jack Assed" Cops :action-smiley-015: !!! Ha ha ha ha yippeeeee :medium-smiley-005: !!! Ohhhh la laaaa It's a Wonderful feeling!!!! Yeah :mosking: !!!

Damn, has it gone to 1000 now? Last time I got copped for speeding a while back it was something like 300. I haven't gone to pay the fine yet cos that place is such a hassle, will probably do it tommorow.

Out of curiosity, what exactly happens if you don't pay the fine by the court date? Or choose to go to court instead?

Out of curiosity, what exactly happens if you don't pay the fine by the court date? Or choose to go to court instead?

You wait till they call you for the case, swatting like a cow with all kind of criminals & pay the lawyer Rs.500 to say “my client plead guilty my honour”. :angry:

Dude,

I agree, I've a detector and it works fine. Thr issue is, it only gives you a warning... if you're doing bout 80 km/ph, slowing down to 70 can be achieved. but sometimes the cop gets a reading... and if you were doing 80 on a 56 stretch, then most likely you might get busted. unless u really step on the brakes and slow down to 55..!

What we need here is a radar scrambler.. Cobra® has such a product, banned in the USA though.. I've seen it on e-bay...

Got caught for speeding last night at around 1.30! Bastards said i was doing 67 km/h in a 60 zone!! I never stop for these assholes but yesterday they had blocked both sides of the road near B.R.C and to make it worse i got copped trying to turn into my own lane!! Assholes!! And it gets better they asked me whether i wanted a spot fine or go to courts! The cop said if u want give us Rs 3000 and ill give ur license back..i gave him a reply in sinhala tht pretty much stated how i felt about his family,life and ethics and told him to write the f*ing ticket before i called the OIC on his corrupt arse! The ass just shut his mouth wrote the ticket and handed it to me where upon i told him again what i felt about him and his uniform. I know these guys are doing there jobs and i knew that i was obviously breaking the speed limit so i was more that willing to be written up and receive the ticket...however when he wanted money from me thats where i draw the line...no f*ing cop will get a bribe from me for any damn reason... When i asked him if he thought everyone carries Rs 3000 at night for bribes the bastard looked at my car and said "meh wage race cars padineh petrol welin ne..ithin thamuseta sali athi wena thinyawa.. apitat diyapan" ... UNBELIEVABLE!

Got caught for speeding last night at around 1.30! Bastards said i was doing 67 km/h in a 60 zone!! I never stop for these assholes but yesterday they had blocked both sides of the road near B.R.C and to make it worse i got copped trying to turn into my own lane!! Assholes!! And it gets better they asked me whether i wanted a spot fine or go to courts! The cop said if u want give us Rs 3000 and ill give ur license back..i gave him a reply in sinhala tht pretty much stated how i felt about his family,life and ethics and told him to write the f*ing ticket before i called the OIC on his corrupt arse! The ass just shut his mouth wrote the ticket and handed it to me where upon i told him again what i felt about him and his uniform. I know these guys are doing there jobs and i knew that i was obviously breaking the speed limit so i was more that willing to be written up and receive the ticket...however when he wanted money from me thats where i draw the line...no f*ing cop will get a bribe from me for any damn reason... When i asked him if he thought everyone carries Rs 3000 at night for bribes the bastard looked at my car and said "meh wage race cars padineh petrol welin ne..ithin thamuseta sali athi wena thinyawa.. apitat diyapan" ... UNBELIEVABLE!

There are 60kmph zones? I thought the limits were 50 in urban areas and 70 in unbuilt.

just outta curiosity, what were u driving?

Rs.3000 as a bribe???.... And 1.30am doing 67kmph... they must be really A**holes. What If you challenge that you haven’t gone beyond that speed limit and ask them to prove it. As far as I know, then they’ll have to stop taking anymore readings and submit it to courts as proof. But doing that at 1.30 in the morning, I also would think 10 times with the crime scenes going these days. It’s better to get the ticket and pay the fine rather than paying 3000 for that bus*ard.

There are 60kmph zones? I thought the limits were 50 in urban areas and 70 in unbuilt.

just outta curiosity, what were u driving?

Apparently there are 60 kmph zones! Even i was wondering! The best part is when he was wrtting the ticket up a Prado went flying past us easily over 100...so i made a smart arse comment about its speed and the fact that it was a prado...the cop looked at me and said in that case why dont u also buy a prado and go fast... Twit! heh heh... I was lucky to get away with the noise thing though...bugger was too preoccupied with the ticket to notice... does that answer ur question preveen? :D