• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Advic On Buying Sylphy.

kaushj

:violent-smiley-030: OK before you guys get mad at me - I already read the "Ae110 Or Bluebird?" topic. :violent-smiley-099:

At present Im driving a 91 Galant, its a great ride, but my dad and I think its time to upgrade.

We know a 2001 Sylphy which is being sold for 19.25Laks.It has a 1500cc engine

All i wanna know is, does it do well on fuel and what are the common problems that come with it.I will be driving it in colombo-which means traffic.

I wanna know if its worth spending this much on a Sunny with a nice interior.

I have a friend(from whom i take car advice from) who hates nissan, so evertime i ask him for advice - its just buy a toyota. So i have not been getting any where with him.

I have been looking for a new car since last year, missed a couple of nice carinas, what to do s&^t happens.

So I really need some good advice.

:mellow: PS- I dont like the sprinter, except for the marino- but havent seen any new ones for sale. Love the 121 but cant afford it.

Thanks in advance guys.

Edited by kaushj

I don't knw about da Sylphy but the fb15 which has the same qg15de doesn't do that well on petrol..... Some guys say 8kmp/l but mine only does 6kmp/l ..... in colombo...

Edited by Shismo

I don't knw about da Sylphy but the fb15 which has the same qg15de doesn't do that well on petrol..... Some guys say 8kmp/l but mine only does 6kmp/l ..... in colombo...

Hmm that doesnt amuount much. Are you really sure about this

The thing is it would be nice to have a bit of luxury that is offered in that car.

Theres also a Carina GT 1998, which has been brought down from japan through special permit.It had been bought by the owner at an auction in japan.Its clocked about 80,000 Km's.

May be able to get it for about 1.8mil. But they cant transfer it to my name bcoz of the permit for 3 years.

Plus - the GT badge is missing at the back and the dickey seems to be shifted abit to the left, possible accident?

But new paint job.

Saw another carina yesterday, previously owned by a policeman- the front doors have a teak panneling, but the rear doors dont, and the dashboard also doesnt have teak pannelin, plus the rev counter is missing - as in the dials and stuff-like it was never there in the first place.

Is so difficult to look for a new car.

:violent-smiley-030: OK before you guys get mad at me - I already read the "Ae110 Or Bluebird?" topic. :violent-smiley-099:

At present Im driving a 91 Galant, its a great ride, but my dad and I think its time to upgrade.

All i wanna know is, does it do well on fuel and what are the common problems that come with it.I will be driving it in colombo-which means traffic.

I have a friend(from whom i take car advice from) who hates nissan, so evertime i ask him for advice - its just buy a toyota. So i have not been getting any where with him.

I have been looking for a new car since last year, missed a couple of nice carinas, what to do s&^t happens.

:mellow: PS- I dont like the sprinter, except for the marino- but havent seen any new ones for sale. Love the 121 but cant afford it.

Thanks in advance guys.

i think 19.25 is quite high for a 2001 silphy. you should be able to negotiate a bit more. I've been in one, nice interior and its comfortable over the bumps with its soft suspension so good for an everyday car. No idea about fuel consumption but everyone complains that nissan's do poorly on fuel. most carinas have a very plain interior but must be doing better on fuel and handling. the silphy "feels" more expensive. it all depends on what you prefer.

i think 19.25 is quite high for a 2001 silphy. you should be able to negotiate a bit more. I've been in one, nice interior and its comfortable over the bumps with its soft suspension so good for an everyday car. No idea about fuel consumption but everyone complains that nissan's do poorly on fuel. most carinas have a very plain interior but must be doing better on fuel and handling. the silphy "feels" more expensive. it all depends on what you prefer.

It would be nice to have that extra bit of luxury.

But as according to Shismo if it only does 6km/L then its not worth it bcoz i come through nawala everyday.

Really want a Carina GT but cant seem to find one. Even a good Marino will do. But then theres that feeling of luxury in the Sylphy.

Thanks in advance guys.

Your friend hasn't emailed me in a while. Ask him how things are down under..

I tend to agree with our mutual friend on Nissans but my excuse is they are not worth the $$ needed.

why not go for a sprinter after all?

Edited by Saturn

hehehe

No dude its isnt anyone in this forum.

Actually he was on the forum a while back with a nom de plume. You could recognise him because he always said nice things about Toyota :)

PS: On behalf of everyone here, WELCOME TO AUTOLANKA!! Nice to see you here! (Small world eh!?)

What sort of budget are you hoping to buy for? Is there any specific reason why you want Nissan?

what features do you want in the car? what areas are you concentrating on (power efficiency, etc?)

Dude if you are getting rid of the Galant please advertise it on Autolanka. I chatted with your dad about this and

told him I'd take some pics and list it here.. never got a chance to.. A lot of car enthusiasts visit this site and you would definitely be able to sell your car here.

You just need a few digital photos, and just click on the sell your car and fill the forms. You can pay them by credit card or bank deposit (HSBC I think) or even directly pay Autolanka as they have an office in Colombo.

Edited by Saturn

Hmm that doesnt amuount much. Are you really sure about this

The thing is it would be nice to have a bit of luxury that is offered in that car.

Theres also a Carina GT 1998, which has been brought down from japan through special permit.It had been bought by the owner at an auction in japan.Its clocked about 80,000 Km's.

May be able to get it for about 1.8mil. But they cant transfer it to my name bcoz of the permit for 3 years.

Plus - the GT badge is missing at the back and the dickey seems to be shifted abit to the left, possible accident?

But new paint job.

Saw another carina yesterday, previously owned by a policeman- the front doors have a teak panneling, but the rear doors dont, and the dashboard also doesnt have teak pannelin, plus the rev counter is missing - as in the dials and stuff-like it was never there in the first place.

Is so difficult to look for a new car.

Any vehicle you get make sure the papers are clear and vehicle is in owners name, all payments done, etc, and that it can be transfered to your name immediately.

You have to be very careful about this!!

Tell me when you and dad are next going car hunting and I will join you :) :)

I would suggest you buy the Silumina on Saturday, and you can get a head start and see what's available (before Sunday).

Be careful of Car sales. I've seen some bad stuff. I remember one car I saw where the sale owner had forgot to replace the sticker of the engine after he re-clocked the mileage.. very funny: car mileage said 80,000kms, engine timing sticker said belt replaced at 175,000 kms! (of course we know most cars at sales are clocked but what was funny is the seller actually being caught red handed so to say)

Another case I remember was a car with an engine blown so badly it burnt all its engine oil in the test drive itself. I told the sale guy to please stop and put some oil before the engine seizes, guy didn't care... I couldnt believe theyd attempt to sell something like that to unsuspecting buyers.. Vehicle was producing so much white smoke everyone was sneezing - owner said not a problem at all, and this was a very reputed sale in Kohuwela along Sunethradevi road (which I will not name!!)

Before you buy a vehicle, PLEASE get it inspected by a garage/expert. After all you are talking millions so you gotta make sure the car you buy is a good one!!

Edited by Saturn

[before you buy a vehicle, PLEASE get it inspected by a garage/expert. After all you are talking millions so you gotta make sure the car you buy is a good one!!

]

Yep..never trust anyone when it comes to rides...you absolutely have to have an expert on that model of car to make a reasonable judgment :)

I once took a guy who owns a primera tp12 to checkout and EG8...though the dude knew his cars, especially nissans and mazdas he was not so confident on evaluating the honda :)

We didn't go for the car cos it didn't drive too well plus we couldn't find an expert fast enough to make a call... that definitely better than getting stuck with a bad ride :angry-smiley-048: