• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is The Steering Size Matters To Turn Wheels ?

ShanS

Guys,

Is the steering wheel size effect on efficiency of turning the wheels ??. What's the best option ??. to go for a larger diameter or a smaller diameter ?.. Which one makes you driving easy ?. :unsure:

Guys,

Is the steering wheel size effect on efficiency of turning the wheels ??. What's the best option ??. to go for a larger diameter or a smaller diameter ?.. Which one makes you driving easy ?. :unsure:

The smaller the diameter the smaller the inputs I think looking at it laterally. Hence sportier cars have smaller wheels. Quick response is also dependant on the caliberation of the rack. Sportier cars have quicker racks like Alfa Romeos - they have the quickest, while luxo cars like Mercedes and Volvos tend to have slow racks. Most everyday cars like Toyotas and Nissans also have very slow steering.

The plus point being that the slower the rack the better the turning circle but negative is less communication and so fast through the bends is not only more guess work but also more turns and so slows you down.

OT - this is another example that horse power isn't everything if you want a quick car. Anyone can make an engine powerful, but how that power is delivered is what counts on the road and track.

That's means no point of changing the Steering to get the better performance with out changing the rack caliberation ?... Simultaneously if we fix a smaller steering to get the sporty look with out changing the racks will that make any difference ?.. will it be in negative way or positive way or no difference at all ?

That's means no point of changing the Steering to get the better performance with out changing the rack caliberation ?... Simultaneously if we fix a smaller steering to get the sporty look with out changing the racks will that make any difference ?.. will it be in negative way or positive way or no difference at all ?

My car came with a Momo steering wheel when I bought it, which is much smaller that the normal one. It looks great, feels great and also is easier to use... but the one drawback is that it takes a bit more effort than the bigger, normal steering. Other than that, I haven't found any difference.