• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chinese Android vs. Japanese Used Head Units for Superior Sound Quality

I'm currently in the market for a new head unit for my 2013 Premio and am facing a bit of a dilemma. I'm torn between opting for a newer Chinese Android player, like ATOTO, or going for an older Japanese used model, such as a Pioneer or Kenwood DVD player. My main requirement is sound quality.

From your experience, which tends to offer better sound? Also, if you have any suggestions for options available under 75k, whether used or new, I'd greatly appreciate it. Note that the car still has the original speaker set.

Chinese Android unit with a good sound processor + DSP.

I got one for my Lancer which has the factory speaker set, sounds way crispier than a Pioneer HU in a same spec Lancer. Equalizer options are pretty neat too.

Plus you can run Spotify/Youtube Music directly through the HU.

Mine cost 75k back in 2022 when the $ was like 205-210LKR from Aliexpress

rOku02Jh.jpg

Go for one with a ROHM32107 or better sound processor and I'm sure you won't be disappointed

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Chinese Android unit with a good sound processor + DSP.

I got one for my Lancer which has the factory speaker set, sounds way crispier than a Pioneer HU in a same spec Lancer. Equalizer options are pretty neat too.

Plus you can run Spotify/Youtube Music directly through the HU.

Mine cost 75k back in 2022 when the $ was like 205-210LKR from Aliexpress

rOku02Jh.jpg

Go for one with a ROHM32107 or better sound processor and I'm sure you won't be disappointed

What is the model?

6 minutes ago, shanuka dilshann said:

What is the model?

TS10 - Pro

https://www.aliexpress.com/i/32720737378.html

Another plus point of getting one specifically designed for your vehicle model is you don't have to modify the original factory harness - the unit comes with a T-harness which plugs into the original factory adapter so it's plug-and-play, just as if you bought an original Japanese HU

My personal preference is for a branded used head unit (not Japanese ones since they don't have full-band radio). This comparison is between a 25k Chinese head unit and a 25-30k branded used head unit. Typically, I require good sound quality (with stock speakers), reliable radio reception, a reverse camera, Bluetooth connectivity, and an option to play videos to keep my kids entertained while parked (though they now prefer using their phones). Other options are also newer used on my head units.

Chinese head units come with more bells and whistles, but most of the time, they malfunction after 1-2 years. I dislike the radio tuner because it can't hold the radio channel after driving a little outside Colombo, and the touchscreen also goes out of sync after 1-2 years. I've heard that new Lenovo and expensive Chinese head units are performing better, but I don't have any experience to comment on those.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SamN said:

Typically, I require good sound quality (with stock speakers), reliable radio reception, a reverse camera, Bluetooth connectivity, and an option to play videos to keep my kids entertained while parked (though they now prefer using their phones)

How do you even drive without Google Maps :D