• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Need Some Help On Fb 14

stkguy

Hi Experts,

I have a FB14 (97 model) car and I have two probably interrelated problems. One is that I can hear the engine noise from inside (not vibrations but the noise). This makes it less comfortable and one of my friends advised to change rubber bushes on which the engine is mounted. Will this work and where to buy them and what will be the cost?

The second problem is the car interior rattles a lot when it goes over small bumps etc. it can take sort of larger bumps but not small ones for some reason. Do I have to change the whole suspension or what should I do? Please advice me.

Thanks

• Thanks 1

Hi Experts,

I have a FB14 (97 model) car and I have two probably interrelated problems. One is that I can hear the engine noise from inside (not vibrations but the noise). This makes it less comfortable and one of my friends advised to change rubber bushes on which the engine is mounted. Will this work and where to buy them and what will be the cost?

The second problem is the car interior rattles a lot when it goes over small bumps etc. it can take sort of larger bumps but not small ones for some reason. Do I have to change the whole suspension or what should I do? Please advice me.

Thanks

Hi,

Sounds like you have a problem which needs attention by an experienced technician, and it could very well be something simple. The problem is its difficult to be objective about engine noise, cos people like things in different ways, what you may be hearing may be normal for your car, but then again it might not

if you hear the noise when the engine is idling you would need to try to describe better what noise this is, and you can get pop the hood and try to find out the root of the noise yourself, it could be noisy fans especially when the AC is on, it could be a noisy exhaust it could be a whole lot of things or it could be normal

engine mounts usually lead to thud like noises when the car is moving, rarely wen the car is idle unless the engine itself is knocking for a different reason

about the interior, well you might have to get those loose items screwed up, as in somebody might have taken your dashboard apart but not put it back together properly, or something might be loose, and some screws need to be tightened. happens from time to time. also check your suspension to see if its in decent order, cos problems there might have caused the problems in the dashboard in the first place.

Hi,

Sounds like you have a problem which needs attention by an experienced technician, and it could very well be something simple. The problem is its difficult to be objective about engine noise, cos people like things in different ways, what you may be hearing may be normal for your car, but then again it might not

if you hear the noise when the engine is idling you would need to try to describe better what noise this is, and you can get pop the hood and try to find out the root of the noise yourself, it could be noisy fans especially when the AC is on, it could be a noisy exhaust it could be a whole lot of things or it could be normal

engine mounts usually lead to thud like noises when the car is moving, rarely wen the car is idle unless the engine itself is knocking for a different reason

about the interior, well you might have to get those loose items screwed up, as in somebody might have taken your dashboard apart but not put it back together properly, or something might be loose, and some screws need to be tightened. happens from time to time. also check your suspension to see if its in decent order, cos problems there might have caused the problems in the dashboard in the first place.

Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for your quick replay. Sorry if I didn’t explain is well in my previous post. The kind of noise I’m hearing is something like “rrrrrr” sound of the engine, probably amplified by the body of the car. Correct me if I’m wrong, I assumed that the rubber bushes on which the engine is mounted cuts engine vibration from being transferred to the body. But in my case I hear this “rrrrr” noise of the engine not from the exhaust or from outside the car. But it hears like it comes from the body of the car. This “rrrr” noise comes even when the car is not moving. However this sound is not that loud, but loud enough to make it not that comfortable. From the outside/inside the engine sound is pretty normal to me. Only problem is it seems to be getting transferred to the body. At least that’s what I feel.

Things you have mentioned about the interior may very well be correct as I myself found some loosen interior parts. I’ll have to get some help from a technician for this.

Is there any way to check my suspension by myself before taking it to a technician? Please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Hi Experts,

Thanks

Those sound like normal 97 FB 14 noises. Our roads don't help.

If you want to reduce engine noise, check the mounts, do a 3M/Wurth Fuel system clean up, check you sensors and ensure its running smooth. Some one mentioned that ##### worked well on a Beetle last weekend but haven't tried it personally.

The Autos are noisier as the engine tends to rev more.

Noise coming into the car is mainly due to the poor insulation of the engine cabin and the passenger cabin. This is where the Euro cars score with more noise insulation giving a richer feel. Pull out the dash, make sure the bushes are in place and seal the openings. Apply some undercoat sealant in thick layers. Carpets/ felt carpets help a bit as well. There is a 3M sound proofing offered which is quite effective but a bit expensive. Check with Kle*n P*rk.

As for the body noises, get the doors re-pinned, seat railings adjusted and the dickie lid adjusted. You can also get the little things like door locks and handles that shake replaced or adjusted. You have to keep running and getting rid of noises one by one. On older cars, its cheap and more effective to change the set of doors.

Smaller rims and a higher profile of tyre will also help reduce the jerk over bumps

With our roads, even the new Jap and Euro cars tend to start making noises after a short period. So your problem is quite common.

Invest in a decent sound system. You can crank it up and make the body noises just disappear :)

Those sound like normal 97 FB 14 noises. Our roads don't help.

If you want to reduce engine noise, check the mounts, do a 3M/Wurth Fuel system clean up, check you sensors and ensure its running smooth. Some one mentioned that ##### worked well on a Beetle last weekend but haven't tried it personally.

The Autos are noisier as the engine tends to rev more.

Noise coming into the car is mainly due to the poor insulation of the engine cabin and the passenger cabin. This is where the Euro cars score with more noise insulation giving a richer feel. Pull out the dash, make sure the bushes are in place and seal the openings. Apply some undercoat sealant in thick layers. Carpets/ felt carpets help a bit as well. There is a 3M sound proofing offered which is quite effective but a bit expensive. Check with Kle*n P*rk.

As for the body noises, get the doors re-pinned, seat railings adjusted and the dickie lid adjusted. You can also get the little things like door locks and handles that shake replaced or adjusted. You have to keep running and getting rid of noises one by one. On older cars, its cheap and more effective to change the set of doors.

Smaller rims and a higher profile of tyre will also help reduce the jerk over bumps

With our roads, even the new Jap and Euro cars tend to start making noises after a short period. So your problem is quite common.

Invest in a decent sound system. You can crank it up and make the body noises just disappear :)

Hi Milindu,

Thanks a lot for your very informative reply. Well, I did try the sound system solution and it works OK for the time being :). It seems that it is bit difficult to pinpoint the origin of the body noise and might be coming from various parts. I’ll check one by one as you’ve mentioned. And I’ll try those Kle*nP*rk and 3M solutions as well.

Thanks

Hi Don,

Thanks a lot for your quick replay. Sorry if I didn’t explain is well in my previous post. The kind of noise I’m hearing is something like “rrrrrr” sound of the engine, probably amplified by the body of the car. Correct me if I’m wrong, I assumed that the rubber bushes on which the engine is mounted cuts engine vibration from being transferred to the body. But in my case I hear this “rrrrr” noise of the engine not from the exhaust or from outside the car. But it hears like it comes from the body of the car. This “rrrr” noise comes even when the car is not moving. However this sound is not that loud, but loud enough to make it not that comfortable. From the outside/inside the engine sound is pretty normal to me. Only problem is it seems to be getting transferred to the body. At least that’s what I feel.

Things you have mentioned about the interior may very well be correct as I myself found some loosen interior parts. I’ll have to get some help from a technician for this.

Is there any way to check my suspension by myself before taking it to a technician? Please let me know.

Thanks a lot

Possibly something loose, I had a similar problem with a car my father used to own, all sorts of noises all over the place, took me a while to eliminate them all mostly with rubbers stuck in different places or pasted on on strategic locations, not to mention tightening of many screws all over the place

the basic problem is if somebody takes apart a dashboard etc they never seem to put it back together properly

but as Milindu pointed out part of this plastics coming loose is down to aging and our bad roads .......

you can check the mounts and easily find out if they need replacing, usually there would be visible damage to the mount (you need to inspect all round the mounts) excessive cracking or thud noises when the car is moving. a trained technician should be able to spot this straight away. also the engine appearing out of balance very slightly is an indicator as well

if the engine is running well and tuned, it makes less noise especially when idle and knocking and vibration would be reduced. try a good tune up

apart from Milindu suggested try to localize the noise in the plasticly bits and if you are confident you can try removing some covers to see if you can get to the offending screws etc and see if you can tighten them. Be very careful, do not proceed if not absolutely confident, what you take off you must fit back. Also do not use excessive pressure on plastics as they tend to crack !

Possibly something loose, I had a similar problem with a car my father used to own, all sorts of noises all over the place, took me a while to eliminate them all mostly with rubbers stuck in different places or pasted on on strategic locations, not to mention tightening of many screws all over the place

the basic problem is if somebody takes apart a dashboard etc they never seem to put it back together properly

but as Milindu pointed out part of this plastics coming loose is down to aging and our bad roads .......

you can check the mounts and easily find out if they need replacing, usually there would be visible damage to the mount (you need to inspect all round the mounts) excessive cracking or thud noises when the car is moving. a trained technician should be able to spot this straight away. also the engine appearing out of balance very slightly is an indicator as well

if the engine is running well and tuned, it makes less noise especially when idle and knocking and vibration would be reduced. try a good tune up

apart from Milindu suggested try to localize the noise in the plasticly bits and if you are confident you can try removing some covers to see if you can get to the offending screws etc and see if you can tighten them. Be very careful, do not proceed if not absolutely confident, what you take off you must fit back. Also do not use excessive pressure on plastics as they tend to crack !

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a technical person but don’t have much knowledge in this area. I need to remove the dashboard and other parts to see whether something has loosened. But I don’t know how to pull it out. Is there a manual or something? Any help pls.

• 8 months later...
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I'm a technical person but don’t have much knowledge in this area. I need to remove the dashboard and other parts to see whether something has loosened. But I don’t know how to pull it out. Is there a manual or something? Any help pls.

STK, try this machan..

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nissan-manual...ssan-Sentra.pdf

Machung,

Better check the rubber bushes which the bonnet lid rests on. One of my friends who had a FB-15 suffered from the same problem. When we took it to the dealer, the technician simply adjusted the two rubber bushes and the noice was no more... :)

Machung,

Better check the rubber bushes which the bonnet lid rests on. One of my friends who had a FB-15 suffered from the same problem. When we took it to the dealer, the technician simply adjusted the two rubber bushes and the noice was no more... :)

Yes i will check that as well machan and thanx for the advice :)

Machan, are you going to do it by your slef?

Well..i thought i could just open the bonnet and see if those are there by my self :unsure: . If that is not the case then i’ll take the car to some mechanic machan…