• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Go-kart Racing

dinesh_gd2003

• 1 month later...
I recall the good old days of Go- Carting in SL.Taj car park,BMICH,Isurupaya....were favourite locations.

Hey any idea about Eranga Jayawardhane,Chandrudh Deraniyagala...I can remember them battling for the junior nationals title in early 90s.Then juniors like Aravinda,Sheran,Rajitha,SA family boys were stars.

Then came pro carting and now no- carting at all.In my imagination there are more than 100 go carts in the Island just gathering dust in backyards and in corners of garages.

Someone should take steps to give life to this wonderful sport, Go-Carting.How about Auto Lanka doing the honors?

Madz Its upto you mate! Remember AL is backed by many ex-champions and many wonderful brains.

MINIACE

Alive and well! Not too sure about Eranga or his whereabouts, and hope he's doing good!

Like you, I'm rather disturbed by the lack of interest in karting, as I still believe it to be the best learning grounds for any sort of 4 wheel racing. Karting was hot in the early 90's, but interest fizzled out due to a general lack of interest. A real pity - the 1996 season (the last proper championship season) was stopped halfway and things never really took off after that.

As quite rightly pointed out by some of you in this thread, there are many karts lying about accumulating dust in garages. With a bit of TLC, the old dinosaurs can be oiled up and taken out for a run - the problem is, where??

If you guys are seriously interesting in reviving karting in SL, I'll try and track down a few karts. Aravinda surely has a few, the Jinasena boys must be having theirs, and for a fact Harsha and his uncle would be able to find theirs.

basicaly we need a possible location to run, and we need karters. If we have these things Karting will live again in SL :rolleyes :rolleyes:

been trying to find a place but no luck yet, any suggestions would be appreciated!

Best bet is to run the Yamaha engines as there are quite a few engines around in SL & its not too expensive to rebuild. Karts range from about Rs. 100,000/- to Rs. 150,000/- and the more advanced and newer stuff can be very much more expensive.

Running cost is not to bad cos the yamaha is a reliable engine if you use it well (as longs as u don't blow it up) & tyres will easily last a season or more. Other cost are stuff like entry fees, fuel, oil & plugs.

Forget about the Taj - it was ok with kart specs dating back to the early 90's, but you'll need nerves of steel to race a 30hp+ kart there now. Forget, also, about Isurupaya. The track was probably the most fun I've ever raced on, but again, the speeds with the current karts will render the track very dangerous, especially on the downward slopes.

The BMICH was probably the most boring track, but the smoothest. It's probably the only track I did not break a sprocket! It'll require a bunch of guys with brooms sweeping it as it often has a thin layer of dust - extremely slippery with the slicks. Even on raceday, when the racing line was cleared after a few laps, this film of dust made overtaking very dangerous, as the moment you drift slightly off the racing line, you are bound lose traction. If you guys are able to get permission to host some practice sessions, and perhaps a race, it could be the start of the karting revival!

Wasn't somebody supposed to build a proper karting track just out of Colombo at some point? If I remember right, there was an attempt by SLARDAR or one of those organisations to host some races on a purpose track...again, a lot of smoke and no fire??

There was also some carpark near the parliament that was used more recently. What happened to that? Never raced there, but it was supposed to be quite fun.

If you guys are seriously interesting in reviving karting in SL, I'll try and track down a few karts. Aravinda surely has a few, the Jinasena boys must be having theirs, and for a fact Harsha and his uncle would be able to find theirs.

Niroshan has at least one at his shop, tho I don't really know if its working :) Can check that too.

Yes.. That would be great! all of us who are serious about this can get together and come up with some money to get this going!

Edited by dinesh_gd2003

Alive and well! Not too sure about Eranga or his whereabouts, and hope he's doing good!

Like you, I'm rather disturbed by the lack of interest in karting, as I still believe it to be the best learning grounds for any sort of 4 wheel racing. Karting was hot in the early 90's, but interest fizzled out due to a general lack of interest. A real pity - the 1996 season (the last proper championship season) was stopped halfway and things never really took off after that.

As quite rightly pointed out by some of you in this thread, there are many karts lying about accumulating dust in garages. With a bit of TLC, the old dinosaurs can be oiled up and taken out for a run - the problem is, where??

Hi Chanrudh! long time no see mate.Didnt know you are in SL.Thought you migrated o somthin..you always had plans to go Belgium hah :) .Hows your red/orange Swiss Hutless?? Its good to know that you still got Karting nerves :D

I know you are wondering who Miniace is ? ;) Remember the good old Karting days and the Castrol-automobile course :) ?post your mail addy mate .

MINIACE

Hi Chanrudh! long time no see mate.Didnt know you are in SL.Thought you migrated o somthin..you always had plans to go Belgium hah :) .Hows your red/orange Swiss Hutless?? Its good to know that you still got Karting nerves :D

I know you are wondering who Miniace is ? ;) Remember the good old Karting days and the Castrol-automobile course :) ?post your mail addy mate .

MINIACE

:) I was quite sure that I'd know at least one of you guys! Good to catch up with some old friends, whoever they may be...:). Please, don't keep me in suspense!

I've been out of SL for a long long time, and alas, I am still out of the country, but I do come back at least once a year to catch up with my family and friends. Karting will always be in my blood (even though I no longer am the thin chap I was all those years ago!) :unsure:

I've still got the Swiss Hutless, although I am not sure if it is still orange after all those years of storage! :unsure: And how could I forget the good old karting days!! Those weekends were really special, baking in the sun and listening to 'Buffalo Soldier' being played for the upteenth time (repeat mode) on the loud speakers!

Email address is quite simple: [email protected]

I guess I'm the only Chanrudh in the world! :D

So, spit it out, Miniace - reveal yourself!

Got it! Check your mail!

Wow...this is great!! After how many years!!! Thanks to Autolanka, old pals are re-uniting!!

Wish we could have the same great karting days again

.Its really sad to hear that your tuner "baas" passed away.

Thanks again Chanrudh for the mail!

Keep in touch bro!

MINIACE