• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

E36 For Daily Running

pathola 1

I recently bought a E36 318i and the car was an absolute beauty. paid 18.75 and i'm the second owner. had to spend another 150 K to make it technically perfect (suspension, T belt, shocks, breaks AC etc). since it came with a brand new 2K paint i din't have to touch the exterior and the body shape is perfect. All repairs were done @ M*****'s by me and the previous owner so the history looks pretty clean.

On average I do about 25 Km's per day (Kiribathgoda to Colombo) and the car is used daily.

Options available in the car

AC/PS/Power windows/Electric Sunroof/Central looking/Pioneer sound system with 12 CD/BMW secuirity system/full leather interior(as good as new)

Do you guys think that this is a good option for daily running ?

Cheers !

What is the YOM and reg? I get the feeling that you've paid a high price and had to spend too early on the car. Not a good deal IMHO.

If its a 318i fuel consumption should be 8km/l or about 9-10 km/l for a 316i. I used both models. The 316i was very reliable and hardly gave me any trouble. But the 318i had quite a few frustrating niggles on and off.

What is the YOM and reg? I get the feeling that you've paid a high price and had to spend too early on the car. Not a good deal IMHO.

If its a 318i fuel consumption should be 8km/l or about 9-10 km/l for a 316i. I used both models. The 316i was very reliable and hardly gave me any trouble. But the 318i had quite a few frustrating niggles on and off.

19 - 4***

YOM 1992

Does 7 km in Col traffic

I saw many cars and those came from 13.75 upwards but din't even feel like getting in. I paid the price knowingly b'cos

1. It was a 1st owner car
  2. Recomended my M*****
  3. looked damn good

I mean ... what else can we get for 2 mil these days :)

19 - 4***

YOM 1992

Does 7 km in Col traffic

I saw many cars and those came from 13.75 upwards but din't even feel like getting in. I paid the price knowingly b'cos

1. It was a 1st owner car
  2. Recomended my M*****
  3. looked damn good
I mean ... what else can we get for 2 mil these days :)

Hmmm you could be right. I had my two a long time ago and am judging by the prices then. Why not post a pic? Is it a 318i?

Yes hardly any interesting cars you can buy for 2m these days. I just bought a 2001 2.0 Alfa 156 with 89k on the clock for that price :) !!!!!

Yes hardly any interesting cars you can buy for 2m these days. I just bought a 2001 2.0 Alfa 156 with 89k on the clock for that price :) !!!!!

I kind of guessed that when you had your 156 for sale. BTW whose car was it that you bought? Our bosses by any chance?

My personal opinion is that u can and should use it daily...there are certain models which you need to use regularly to keep them out of problems...BMW is that kind of a model....My brother had a 318 i 1996 model couple of years ago here in UK and we used it for few years without any problems what so ever. towed a 6x4 trailer back and forth to wales from stafford ( about 450 miles both ways) so many times. It had 116 k on the clock. these german motors are Substantially reliable and durable.

Edited by lakshank

I kind of guessed that when you had your 156 for sale. BTW whose car was it that you bought? Our bosses by any chance?

Not your bosses car but I love that colour combo the best - black with red leather. This one was owned by Hidramanis - black with grey leather. As an extra it's fitted with adjustable Konis :) !

My personal opinion is that u can and should use it daily...there are certain models which you need to use regularly to keep them out of problems...BMW is that kind of a model....My brother had a 318 i 1996 model couple of years ago here in UK and we used it for few years without any problems what so ever. towed a 6x4 trailer back and forth to wales from stafford ( about 450 miles both ways) so many times. It had 116 k on the clock. these german motors are Substantially reliable and durable.

Spot on lakshank, you need to use it as any other car. Plus I would recomend driving it quite fast. They seems less prone to problems then.

While agreeing that German cars are reliable, I thnk the Japs are far ahead in the reliability stakes even if they're not ahead in much else.

Spot on lakshank, you need to use it as any other car. Plus I would recomend driving it quite fast. They seems less prone to problems then.

While agreeing that German cars are reliable, I thnk the Japs are far ahead in the reliability stakes even if they're not ahead in much else.

Hey mate how on earth do you get away with driving fast when there are so many cops around and we have our horrid roads with traffic?

I agree that a lot of these new cars need to be taken out for a jolly good thrashing now and then. This stop start driving and short distances must be quite a strain on the engine. I knew somebody who used to take his car just out of town on weekends just to open it up.

OT but any places anyone can recommend just out of town that are relatively cop-free?

Hey mate how on earth do you get away with driving fast when there are so many cops around and we have our horrid roads with traffic?

I agree that a lot of these new cars need to be taken out for a jolly good thrashing now and then. This stop start driving and short distances must be quite a strain on the engine. I knew somebody who used to take his car just out of town on weekends just to open it up.

OT but any places anyone can recommend just out of town that are relatively cop-free?

I'm afraid you're right. Two weekends ago I drove to Kandy (early morning and dry) and back (late morning in pouring rain). There were no cops to be seen and I enjoyed the drive so much.

Last wk end did a trip to Nu El but I was a passenger. My friends enjoyed the thrash up and down.

But Colombo sucks.

Honestly I got no choice.... thats the only set of wheels i have so will be running daily :) and about driving fast, it feels damn good when driven fast even though it takes me 1 hr to get to office in the morning (11km)

Thanks for the comments & will post sm pics shortly

Edited by pathola 1